RepairmanJack.com Forums
Hellboy - the Movie - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Hellboy - the Movie (/thread-43.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hellboy - the Movie - fpw - 03-29-2004

I was offered passes to a screening Wednesday night. I think I'll go. I met Mike Mignola when he was Artist GoH at NECon a few years back, and like him. Like the comic too. The trailer looks great. I'll report back after I've seen it.

Hellboy - the Movie - Barry Lee Dejasu - 03-29-2004

FPW--

I sure hope you enjoy the movie. I am quite looking forward to it, myself; I've been reading every Hellboy/B.P.R.D. comic I could lately, and they have become my favorite current comic (or really just any comic, ever).

Guillermo Del Toro is a great director, and I know he's going to great with this movie, I just know it.

Okay, end of ramble.

Hellboy - the Movie - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 03-29-2004

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:FPW--

I sure hope you enjoy the movie. I am quite looking forward to it, myself; I've been reading every Hellboy/B.P.R.D. comic I could lately, and they have become my favorite current comic (or really just any comic, ever).

Guillermo Del Toro is a great director, and I know he's going to great with this movie, I just know it.

Okay, end of ramble.
I hope you're right, Barry, but for some reason far beyond me, comics just don't seem to translate to film. THE HULK stank on ice, DAREDEVIL was a big disappointment , and even SPIDER MAN could have been better. Gotta admit, though, the X-MEN flicks weren't bad. So maybe there's hope HELLBOY will make the grade.

Hellboy - the Movie - Tony H - 03-29-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I hope you're right, Barry, but for some reason far beyond me, comics just don't seem to translate to film. THE HULK stank on ice, DAREDEVIL was a big disappointment , and even SPIDER MAN could have been better. Gotta admit, though, the X-MEN flicks weren't bad. So maybe there's hope HELLBOY will make the grade.

I liked the HULK. I realize that I might be the only one who enjoyed it. Even if it was long-winded, boring and the HULK looked ridiculous. I guess it appealed to the B-Movie enthusiast in me.

SPIDER-MAN could have been better yes, but it was still an incredible transition from page to screen. The sequel comes out at the end of June, so here is hoping that it gets right to the action. I liked the X-Men films too, very enjoyable and well done.

The Punisher actually looks very good.

Comic films are getting much better than they were in the 80's and earlier. They are now taken more seriously and given actual budgets from which to work. They attract big names for directors and actors.

Compare recent comic book films to what has come to pass. Remember the horrible Spider-Man from the 70's with Nicholas Hammond? And the made for TV Captain America movies? Let's not forget the Captain America Movie that was made in the 90's with Matt Salinger (Who is he? JD's son, but does that automatically mean he should act? no.) Anyone remember The Punisher featuring Dolph Lundgren and Louis Gossett, JR?

With crap like Daredevil being made we can only hope that there are more X-Men and Blade successes before Comic-book films get laughed out of style.

Now, lets get The watchmen made into a film and we can all die happy.

-Tony

Hellboy - the Movie - Scott Hajek - 03-29-2004

AsMoral Wrote:Now, lets get The watchmen made into a film and we can all die happy.
-Tony

And, let's hope that Terry Gilliam gets to do "Watchmen" the way he wanted. The existing script that is floating around by Sam Hamm is not that great.

Hellboy - the Movie - Barry Lee Dejasu - 03-29-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I hope you're right, Barry, but for some reason far beyond me, comics just don't seem to translate to film. THE HULK stank on ice, DAREDEVIL was a big disappointment , and even SPIDER MAN could have been better. Gotta admit, though, the X-MEN flicks weren't bad. So maybe there's hope HELLBOY will make the grade.

Oh, there's hope. Just look at BLADE.

Hellboy - the Movie - nijimeijer - 03-30-2004

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Oh, there's hope. Just look at BLADE.

No, no, he wanted good examples, like Blade II. Big Grin

My theory is that the Marvel movies looked at what made the first Reeves Superman movie so awesome, and what made the later DC movies ass.

Superman made you actually care about Clark Kent. When his pop died, you cared. So when he became Superman, you cared. The Batman movies didn't make you care whatsoever about Bruce Wayne.

But the new Marvel movies? You actually give something of a damn for the characters when they aren't in costume. Good stuff.

Hellboy - the Movie - fpw - 04-01-2004

Well, just got back from the screening. Hellboy was...okay. Lot--LOTS--of good stuff (especially the opening sequence in WWII), but then too much of some other stuff. They crammed an awful lot into 2 hours, and I think a lot of the glue wound up cut. That might explain the plot holes.

A fun popcorn movie. Reminded me a little of Ghostbusters in tone (without going totally surreal a la the marshmallow guy).

More tomorrow.

Hellboy - the Movie - fpw - 04-01-2004

fpw Wrote:More tomorrow.

Okay. It's tomorrow. I think I would have liked the film better if I'd been a little more engaged. A little less attitude and a little more angst on Hellboy's part might have done the trick for me.

Hellboy - the Movie - Matthew Smith - 04-01-2004

I'm going to see it this weekend, but all the reviews I've read have complained that the plot is a little flimsy. But most reviewers gave it decent marks despite that.

Interestingly, most of the comic book sites that have reviewed it so far haven't complained about any changes made in the story and characters for the movie version. They're usually all over that.

--Matthew