RepairmanJack.com Forums
Hypnopedia - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Hypnopedia (/thread-3507.html)

Hypnopedia - PicardRex - 08-12-2009

Spoilers about The Select below

Mr Wilson, I had a question for you , if you don't mind my asking.

So I was just reading Brave New World Revisited and got to the section on sleep learning. Now I realize that there are other works including Clockwork Orange and Fahrenheit 451 that use the idea as well, so I get that it isn't unique, but I wondered how much if any, influence Brave New World had on the formation of The Select? Huxley mentions at one point speakers in the pillow and that conjured the image of the headboards in The Select. Anyway, I was just curious and thought I'd ask.

Hypnopedia - Srem - 08-15-2009

Paul's usually pretty good about answering questions directed at him, but it might make for better visibility if you rename the title of your thread "A Question for Paul, or Mr. Wilson" or something to that effect.

(The Select was one of my favorite medical thrillers, btw.)

Hypnopedia - fpw - 08-16-2009

Sleep learning is an old concept (as you obviously know), so I figured I'd take it a step further and posit a technology that can change values and attitudes.

Hypnopedia - PicardRex - 08-17-2009

First, thanks for responding, it isn't every day that I get to communicate with one of my favorite authors.

Secondly, I was mainly asking because, like you, I think anyway, I am fascinated by the connections and evolution of ideas that run throughout both your fiction and fiction in general. Dystopian stories are some of my favorites and as I'm sure you know, Brave New World sort of inspired 1984, but was itself very similar to WE, which can be traced to The Iron Heel and Jerome's New Utopia. So you see, your usage of sleep learning sort of tied your story into that legacy, at least for me, and I think that is rather cool to see.

Hypnopedia - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 08-17-2009

PicardRex Wrote:First, thanks for responding, it isn't every day that I get to communicate with one of my favorite authors.

Secondly, I was mainly asking because, like you, I think anyway, I am fascinated by the connections and evolution of ideas that run throughout both your fiction and fiction in general. Dystopian stories are some of my favorites and as I'm sure you know, Brave New World sort of inspired 1984, but was itself very similar to WE, which can be traced to The Iron Heel and Jerome's New Utopia. So you see, your usage of sleep learning sort of tied your story into that legacy, at least for me, and I think that is rather cool to see.

Picard, I am amazed and delighted to see another soul remembers London's THE IRON HEEL. Do you have a sister I could marry?

Hypnopedia - PicardRex - 08-17-2009

Mike, I'm glad to see another person that knows The Iron Heel as well. Like I mentioned above, dystopian stories are some of my favorite ones.

Actually Mike, I do indeed have a sister who is single, and she lives in Stamford, a stones throw away from yourself. Convincing her of marriage on the other hand may be somehwat difficult.

Hypnopedia - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 08-17-2009

PicardRex Wrote:Mike, I'm glad to see another person that knows The Iron Heel as well. Like I mentioned above, dystopian stories are some of my favorite ones.

Actually Mike, I do indeed have a sister who is single, and she lives in Stamford, a stones throw away from yourself. Convincing her of marriage on the other hand may be somehwat difficult.

If she's immune to the charms of a 6'2", devilishly handsome guy who'll make her laugh, well, that's life.

But maybe you have =another= sister?:p