RepairmanJack.com Forums
A few questions about Infernal - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: A few questions about Infernal (/thread-2703.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

A few questions about Infernal - Chevron - 01-31-2008

Warning: There could be spoilers in this if you haven't read Infernal yet.

Hello. Been a while since I posted anything, but I've just finished Infernal (enjoyed it loads) and wanted to ask some questions as I'm going to have a go at drawing the map to the Lillitongue. Don't ask me why, I just thought it would be funBig Grin. And I like maps (even though I make 'em all day long at work). And it stops me from rushing straight into Harbingers. I like to hold out from reading the books for as long as possible so I don't run out! Sorry if this means you have to dig out the book to look up bits (you mean it's not on display with the rest of your collection?!) but I'm very grateful to anyone who will have a stab at helping me with these.

1. In the book it says: "Right of centre was a wedge-shaped landmass with a northward-pointing nipple. A line ran on a diagonal to a star surrounded by wiggly lines."
Do you think the diagonal line is between the star and the nipple bit, or do you think it's more likey that the line is between the star and the closest bit of land? It doesn't actually say for definite that it's between the star and the nipple, but that's what I first thought.

2. The map is said to have the date on it that the Sombre sank. Do you think that Francisco Mendez hurriedly drew the map on that particular day, or do you think he would have waited until some time after he'd been picked up by one of the following Vatican ships so that he could draw the map in a bit more comfort, and the date refers to when he took a reading of the Sombre's position?

3. The book only mentions the one island but there were other maps made around that time with the other islands shown. If Fransisco Mendez drew the map at a later date (from question 2), do you think he would have drawn the other islands as well?

Well, that's it for the moment, but I'll probably think of more questions right after I click that "Submit" button!

Thanks.

Chev

A few questions about Infernal - Chevron - 02-05-2008

Well, I don't think anyone saw my questions, but I had a go at drawing the map to the Lillitongue. Here's how it turned out (albeit a bit smaller). Hope you like it. I think the Spanish is correct.

A few questions about Infernal - fpw - 02-05-2008

[SIZE="3"]Good-looking map. You do nice work. I can't find the damn wreck map I used, but I'm pretty sure the "nipple" is the northern tip of St. George's Parrish at the other end of the archipelago.[/SIZE]

A few questions about Infernal - Chevron - 02-07-2008

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Good-looking map. You do nice work. I can't find the damn wreck map I used, but I'm pretty sure the "nipple" is the northern tip of St. George's Parrish at the other end of the archipelago.[/SIZE]

Thank you. Actually, that's what I do for a living, although the maps I'm involved with are slightly more up to date!
There was one curious thing about it, though. On Google Earth, I measured out an 8.5 mile line on the bearing you stated in the book from the point where I chose to draw the line from on the map, and the end point plonked right on top of a wreck called the San Pedro, a Spanish ship going from Cartegena to Cadiz, that went down in 1595. Was this one of your diving experiences or just coincidence?

A few questions about Infernal - BK Akitas - 02-07-2008

Chevron Wrote:Thank you. Actually, that's what I do for a living, although the maps I'm involved with are slightly more up to date!
There was one curious thing about it, though. On Google Earth, I measured out an 8.5 mile line on the bearing you stated in the book from the point where I chose to draw the line from on the map, and the end point plonked right on top of a wreck called the San Pedro, a Spanish ship going from Cartegena to Cadiz, that went down in 1595. Was this one of your diving experiences or just coincidence?

Chevron must be new....

There are NO coincidences Smile

great map!

A few questions about Infernal - fpw - 02-07-2008

Chevron Wrote:Thank you. Actually, that's what I do for a living, although the maps I'm involved with are slightly more up to date!

[SIZE="3"]I think I did dive the San Pedro. We often did multi-wreck dive trips because a lot of the wrecks had very little left. Very good. I meant it to be in the area of the San Pedro.[/SIZE]

BK Akitas Wrote:There are NO coincidences Smile

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that. Good one Big Grin
Wish I'd thought of it when I wrote my last entry!

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I think I did dive the San Pedro. We often did multi-wreck dive trips because a lot of the wrecks had very little left.[/SIZE]

That's 'cos everyone was searching for the Lillitongue...! Wink

A few questions about Infernal - Silverfish - 02-07-2008

That's awesome! We have a mapmaker on the board. Cool.

Stephanie

A few questions about Infernal - Chevron - 02-08-2008

Silverfish Wrote:
That's awesome! We have a mapmaker on the board. Cool.

Mapmaker?!! I'm a Geospatial Analyst if you please (that's posh for mapmaker Big Grin )

Kev.