RepairmanJack.com Forums
title help - maybe - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: title help - maybe (/thread-2489.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

title help - maybe - fpw - 09-27-2007

[SIZE="3"]So far I’m calling the twelfth RJ novel CUTTING EDGE. It fits the story but I’m open to suggestions.

As usual, subplots abound, but the main storyline is this (no spoilers here since all this is laid out in the first 2 chapters):

Jack is hired to find a stolen samurai sword – a katana. The victim can’t go to he cops because the blade was stolen in 1955 from the Hiroshima Peace Museum. The blade is damaged, pocked with holes, but it was made by the renowned ancient swordsmith Masamune.

Turns out Jack’s not the only one looking for it. (Lots of blasts from the past in this one)

So...can anyone come up with something better than Cutting Edge? Since the katana is the plot's maguffin, the title must make some reference to a blade.

As with Lisa and Harbinbgers, you'll be credited in print for the title if I use it.[/SIZE]

title help - maybe - topol_sheap - 09-27-2007

Hey FPW,

How about 'Blade'?

Cheers,

Tom

title help - maybe - Ken Valentine - 09-27-2007

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]So far I’m calling the twelfth RJ novel CUTTING EDGE. It fits the story but I’m open to suggestions.[/SIZE]

Cutting Edge, or The Cutting Edge, sure sounds good to me.

Ken V.

title help - maybe - tenebroust - 09-27-2007

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]So far I’m calling the twelfth RJ novel CUTTING EDGE. It fits the story but I’m open to suggestions.

As usual, subplots abound, but the main storyline is this (no spoilers here since all this is laid out in the first 2 chapters):

Jack is hired to find a stolen samurai sword – a katana. The victim can’t go to he cops because the blade was stolen in 1955 from the Hiroshima Peace Museum. The blade is damaged, pocked with holes, but it was made by the renowned ancient swordsmith Masamune.

Turns out Jack’s not the only one looking for it. (Lots of blasts from the past in this one)

So...can anyone come up with something better than Cutting Edge? Since the katana is the plot's maguffin, the title must make some reference to a blade.

As with Lisa and Harbinbgers, you'll be credited in print for the title if I use it.[/SIZE]

I like the idea of using single words for the titles, just seems to me to be in line with many of the books. A possibility in this regard could be KEEN, or HONED. Both of which have several other meanings which could have a bearing on Jack himself. I like KEEN but I understand it is similar to The KEEP, also your working title is perfectly good as well.

title help - maybe - Scott Miller - 09-27-2007

Slashed/Slashes
To The Hilt
Full Hilt Boogie
Cuts Like A Knife
Seppuku
Hari-Kari

title help - maybe - Dave - 09-27-2007

"Damocles"

Slightly obtuse reference to the greek myth of the sword of Damocles that represents a threat or impending doom.

But I quite like Cutting Edge.

Is Black Wind finally going to become GU cannon? (Rhetorical, I don't want to know until I read the book Smile )

*edit: Just saw the secret history, and guess what book is in there? Big Grin (that's another Rhetorical question)

Dave

A couple more:
Riposte(s)
Feint(s)
Kendo

title help - maybe - Kenji - 09-27-2007

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]So far I’m calling the twelfth RJ novel CUTTING EDGE. It fits the story but I’m open to suggestions.

Paul, you may have been Japanese in another life! Big Grin

New title suggestions ?! Okay, how about them?

Silver Shadow
Soshuden Sword*
Lost Blade
The Samurai (Sometimes simple is the best). Cool

Yamashiroden
Yamatoden
Bizenden
Minoden
Soshuden

They are styles of swords. Masamune's sword is Soshuden.

title help - maybe - Noelie - 09-27-2007

That really was... a Hattori Hanzo sword. Sorry, I digress.

I like Cutting Edge, but I'd like it more if it wasn't for a certain figure skating movie by the same name. Wink I'm drawing a blank for something better though.

Slice(s/d)
Ginsued