RepairmanJack.com Forums
Good Horror - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Good Horror (/thread-1579.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Good Horror - Scott Miller - 03-30-2006

As I was packing up my Sandman comics to loan to another unsuspecting victim, I noticed that that the intro for Preludes and Nocturnes was written by FPW, a fact I had forgotten. In it, he has a passage about the effects of good horror:

Anybody can splatter you with blood and other precious bodily fluids. But they wash off, don't they? Just like mud. Just like spilled food and drink. Wash right off your skin without leaving a trace of their passing. Not the good stuff, though. Good horror gets past the skin. It seeps through and insinuates its way into the tissues, invades the circulation, spreads to all the vital organs, contaminates the nervous system, taking up residence behind the eyes so that nothing looks quite the same again, ever.

Good Horror - fpw - 03-30-2006

[SIZE="3"]Not bad. (I wrote that?)[/SIZE]

Good Horror - Scott Miller - 03-30-2006

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Not bad. (I wrote that?)[/SIZE]

It did have your name attached.

Good Horror - Paige - 03-30-2006

I remember that. I was just getting into Neil Gaiman at the time. I remember I was jumping up and down in the store like an idiot when i saw FPW's name (i was 16 :p ).

Good Horror - saynomore - 03-30-2006

In my Master's thesis on The Grotesque in German and English Literature, I expound eloquently that "horror" is the boat ride that Marlowe takes to meet Kurtz. Along the way one transforms from civilized being to civilized monster, and yet, one doesn't really change at all, for horror is within us all: It just takes a good boat ride to realize it and learn to live with it. A good horror book is such a ride. Let's see Freddy and Jason try to match that. They're a merry-go-round. (Although I do like the mocha (slasher) genre; it's just not true horror in the profound sense.

AC

P.S. The two fpw books for me that meet this definition are The Haunted Air and Soft and Others. And I'm really looking forward to Harbingers, as fpw promises another such boat ride.

Good Horror - jaybird - 03-31-2006

I agree. I tried to keep that in mind while I was writing my book. The lucky ones who have read snippets of the soon to be published horror novel say, it makes their skin crawl. I was so happy to hear that.

Good Horror - Ossicle - 03-31-2006

jaybird Wrote:I agree. I tried to keep that in mind while I was writing my book. The lucky ones who have read snippets of the soon to be published horror novel say, it makes their skin crawl. I was so happy to hear that.
Sorry, though I've been around for a little while now, I missed that you wrote a book. What is it?

Good Horror - jaybird - 03-31-2006

My book is horror fiction. It is my first one. The title is Vengeful Spirits. It starts of in 1865 during the Civil War in a small town in Georgia, Madison. The owners of a Plantation just outside of town are murdered by A.W.O.L. union soliders...... Years later in 1965, the grandson of one of the rogue Union soliders buys the house, not knowing it's history or his connection to it. The ghosts of the murdered plantation owners want vengence. To bad for Eddie, he's the last survivor in his family so, he pays for his grandfathers murder, along with his wife.

If you like horror with a bit of mystery, touched with a pinch of gore, you should like it. I sent the manuscript off last thursday . Hopefully by May it will be ready to order.

Good Horror - Ossicle - 03-31-2006

jaybird Wrote:My book is horror fiction. It is my first one. The title is Vengeful Spirits. It starts of in 1865 during the Civil War in a small town in Georgia, Madison. The owners of a Plantation just outside of town are murdered by A.W.O.L. union soliders...... Years later in 1965, the grandson of one of the rogue Union soliders buys the house, not knowing it's history or his connection to it. The ghosts of the murdered plantation owners want vengence. To bad for Eddie, he's the last survivor in his family so, he pays for his grandfathers murder, along with his wife.

If you like horror with a bit of mystery, touched with a pinch of gore, you should like it. I sent the manuscript off last thursday . Hopefully by May it will be ready to order.
Wow!! I'm probably late to this party, but whatever -- that's fantastic, congratulations. I'm sure you'll keep us posted, but... "keep us posted!"

-o

Good Horror - KRW - 03-31-2006

jaybird Wrote:My book is horror fiction. It is my first one. The title is Vengeful Spirits. It starts of in 1865 during the Civil War in a small town in Georgia, Madison. The owners of a Plantation just outside of town are murdered by A.W.O.L. union soliders...... Years later in 1965, the grandson of one of the rogue Union soliders buys the house, not knowing it's history or his connection to it. The ghosts of the murdered plantation owners want vengence. To bad for Eddie, he's the last survivor in his family so, he pays for his grandfathers murder, along with his wife.

Cool! I'm looking forward to reading it! Definatley keep us posted!

(I wonder why you used Union solsiers?Big Grin )

KRW