RepairmanJack.com Forums
hold off on nightworld??? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: hold off on nightworld??? (/thread-134.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

hold off on nightworld??? - scrabby23 - 05-31-2004

hey i was just reading some replies to my first message and someone said i should read all the books (RJ and Adversary) and that even though he knows how it all ends from reading NIGHTWORLD he still enjoys them.......should i read all of ADVERSARY but hold off on NIGHTWORLD? does anyone think this might ruin the suspense of what the two series combined is building up to??--jason

hold off on nightworld??? - Saburo - 05-31-2004

I wouldn't hold off reading NightWorld after the other adversary books. NightWorld is a book with Jack, but it's not a book about Jack. NightWorld will also be re-written after the RJ series with Jack's part changing. The current NightWorld was written before Jack meets the Otherness, so there's nothing in the RJ series that is referred to in NightWorld besides The Tomb.

If you want to torture yourself, maybe something in the RJ series would be more surprising if you don't have any knowledge of NightWorld? I don't know, but there's a lot of RJ still to be written so maybe.

hold off on nightworld??? - Ken Valentine - 05-31-2004

scrabby23 Wrote:hey i was just reading some replies to my first message and someone said i should read all the books (RJ and Adversary) and that even though he knows how it all ends from reading NIGHTWORLD he still enjoys them.......should i read all of ADVERSARY but hold off on NIGHTWORLD? does anyone think this might ruin the suspense of what the two series combined is building up to??--jason

It didn't ruin it for me!

IIRC, the order I originally read them was THE KEEP, THE TOMB, and NIGHTWORLD. It just made me all the more desperate to get my hands on THE TOUCH, REBORN, and REPRISAL.

With all the new RJ novels culminating in NIGHTWORLD, it's just going to make the revised NW all that more intriguing. So, when the new NIGHTWORLD arrives, I'll have both versions.

Ken V.

hold off on nightworld??? - nonsun blob a - 05-31-2004

I don't think reading nightworld will ruin anything. but I don't know. I've never met anyone who hadn't read nightworld before the repairman jack books, so I kind of think you should go for holding off on it. It does make more sense, I suppose.

hold off on nightworld??? - Biggles - 05-31-2004

scrabby23 Wrote:hey i was just reading some replies to my first message and someone said i should read all the books (RJ and Adversary) and that even though he knows how it all ends from reading NIGHTWORLD he still enjoys them.......should i read all of ADVERSARY but hold off on NIGHTWORLD? does anyone think this might ruin the suspense of what the two series combined is building up to??--jason

I read the Adversary series in order of publication (Keep, Tomb, Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, Nightworld) long before Jack reappeared in Legacies, and nothing was spoiled. I say go for it. Paul will have a major rewrite on his hands in the new Nightworld. Heck, the way Jack's going, he may be married with children and be a "citizen" by then! If anything, I think reading the original first will add to your enjoyment of the revision, because you'll be looking for differences, both subtle and major, between them.

hold off on nightworld??? - Barry Lee Dejasu - 05-31-2004

scrabby23 Wrote:should i read all of ADVERSARY but hold off on NIGHTWORLD? does anyone think this might ruin the suspense of what the two series combined is building up to??--jason

I think so; I've already had far, far too much of Nightworld spoiled for myself because of un-labeled spoiling posts. Because it's still technically the ending cap to all the AC/RJ novels, I feel like the best idea is to save the last for the last...even if I know how it ends, more or less.

Unless you've already made up your mind, yes; hold off Nightworld until it is re-released in 2006 (or so). Enjoy the new history.

Besides, I won't feel so left out in doing it.

hold off on nightworld??? - Barry Lee Dejasu - 05-31-2004

nonsun blob a Wrote:I've never met anyone who hadn't read nightworld before the repairman jack books...

Hi, nice to meet you.

hold off on nightworld??? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 05-31-2004

You'll find NIGHTWORLD a very, very satisfying read, Scrabby. I'm not going to give anything away, but remember Paul is a physician. And that's all I'm gonna say.

hold off on nightworld??? - Noelie - 05-31-2004

Quote:I've never met anyone who hadn't read nightworld before the repairman jack books

Well, now you've met two! Wink I still haven't read Nightworld. My first exposure to RJ came in the form of a short story (can't remember which one). Then I read The Keep. Then The Tomb, Reborn, Reprisal, then I moved on to the RJ books.

Initially, I didn't read it because it was out of print, and the copies I could find were more than I could afford at the time. Then I just decided I would wait to read it. Knowing that it will be re-written, I may just go ahead and read it one of these days, but I've been strong so far. Smile

hold off on nightworld??? - Lisa - 05-31-2004

I read Nightworld many years ago, since I read the last three AC novels as they were released. IMO it doesn't matter whether you read it before or after the RJ books. If you're the patient sort, you might want to wait for the revised version due out in a few years.

Lisa