RepairmanJack.com Forums
Meeting Kojima-san - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Meeting Kojima-san (/thread-103.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Meeting Kojima-san - fpw - 05-17-2004

On Friday I lunched with Hideo Kojima along with his interpreter and three folks from Beacon in Santa Monica.

For those of you who don’t know, Kojima-san is the Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg of videogames.

He’s much younger than I expected—somewhere in his thirties. It was difficult to get a sense of him speaking through an interpreter, but I have the impression he’s someone I’d like to know better. We managed to discuss a little game theory and such. I learned that both he and his interpreter are big fans of Repairman Jack.

Afterward we went back to the Beacon office to see a couple of tapes. One was a demo of the engine he’s considering using on the Repairman Jack game; the other was a trailer for the new Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. I’m not exaggerating when I say this man is a genius. MGS3 is awe inspiring -- amazingly immersive and will set a new highwater mark for videogames.

We were all in accordance that the RJ game should kick ass. He’ll be sent the new (and hopefully final) script to see if he can adapt that, or he’ll set the game post-Nightworld. (So for you who’ve wanted to know what Jack’s up to after Nightworld, this will be the only place to find out.) I think the latter scenario will give him the most latitude, but whatever he decides I know Jack will be well treated. He has tremendous respect for the character and I have tremendous respect for him.

They’re supposed to start working on the deal his week. Beacon wants him to do the game. Kojima-san wants to do the game. And since Konami wants what Kojima-san wants, this looks very, very good.

Meeting Kojima-san - topol_sheap - 05-17-2004

you've been a bit busy of lateSmile

sounds pretty good though... Jack after nightworld would be interesting... question though, would all the bugs (chew wasps) and other beasties have gone?

Meeting Kojima-san - fpw - 05-17-2004

topol_sheap Wrote:you've been a bit busy of lateSmile

sounds pretty good though... Jack after nightworld would be interesting... question though, would all the bugs (chew wasps) and other beasties have gone?

Of course not. What fun would that be? Lots of things got stranded when the holes closed.

Meeting Kojima-san - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 05-22-2004

Sure. The huge horrors couldn't have gotten back to a hole in time. But wouldn't the sunlight have toasted them?

Meeting Kojima-san - fpw - 05-24-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Sure. The huge horrors couldn't have gotten back to a hole in time. But wouldn't the sunlight have toasted them?

You never know what's lurking in the sewers.

Meeting Kojima-san - Ken Valentine - 05-24-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Sure. The huge horrors couldn't have gotten back to a hole in time. But wouldn't the sunlight have toasted them?

Not if they could fly fast enough to stay on the "Dark Side." As I gather some of them could.

Ken V.

Meeting Kojima-san - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 05-24-2004

fpw Wrote:You never know what's lurking in the sewers.

I ain't scared. Our lean, hungry NYC sewer gators would eat 'em alive, burp, and ask for seconds.

Meeting Kojima-san - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 05-24-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:Not if they could fly fast enough to stay on the "Dark Side." As I gather some of them could.

Ken V.

The flying hellbeasts, maybe. But how about the tentacled monstrosity that helped convince Kolabati to give her necklace to Glaeken? Which brings to mind, for some reason, the only real criticism I have of NIGHTWORLD. Nowhere (at least in my reading) is there any mention of how the world's armed forces tried to deal with events.

Meeting Kojima-san - jimbow8 - 05-24-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The flying hellbeasts, maybe. But how about the tentacled monstrosity that helped convince Kolabati to give her necklace to Glaeken?
I don't remember that little piece of dialogue -
Tentacled monstrocity: "Hey, Kolabati, you should give Glaeken your necklace in order to help destroy us....blah, blah, blah......" :p Wink

Meeting Kojima-san - jimbow8 - 05-24-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The flying hellbeasts, maybe. But how about the tentacled monstrosity that helped convince Kolabati to give her necklace to Glaeken? Which brings to mind, for some reason, the only real criticism I have of NIGHTWORLD. Nowhere, at least in my reading, is there any mention of how the world's armed forces tried to deal with events.
They are all occupied in Iraq. LOL

If you wonder that, then you probably like the additions to Stephen King's The Stand which includes the armed forces enforcing martial law.......with "extreme prejudice."