RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brokeback Mountain - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brokeback Mountain (/thread-1372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Brokeback Mountain - Tony H - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:I don't think there is a law stealing my right to get involved in a discussion about a movie, that I would never watch. I don't think you have the authority to make the decision either. If you do, I don't recognize it.

LOL Saddam!

In all honesty, it's a board. As long as the posts are related to the subject it shouldn't matter where. Homophobes can post under the brokeback mountain thread because it sure beats having an "I hate faggots" thread in off-topic discussion forum.

Just my 2 cents. Spend it wisely.

Brokeback Mountain - t4terrific - 01-16-2006

AsMoral Wrote:LOL Saddam!

In all honesty, it's a board. As long as the posts are related to the subject it shouldn't matter where. Homophobes can post under the brokeback mountain thread because it sure beats having an "I hate faggots" thread in off-topic discussion forum.

Just my 2 cents. Spend it wisely.

Thanks Richard Simmons. I appreciate your approval. It's nice that the homophobes and the homosexuals can get along here.

Brokeback Mountain - Tony H - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:Thanks Richard Simmons. I appreciate your approval. It's nice that the homophobes and the homosexuals can get along here.

Now get out there and buy my deal-a-meal cards!

Brokeback Mountain - Marc - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:I don't think there is a law stealing my right to get involved in a discussion about a movie, that I would never watch. I don't think you have the authority to make the decision either. If you do, I don't recognize it.

I think the point of Paige's comment was that if people were going to start debating homosexuality and/or discuss how they find the practice "vial" (I just don't want him to be offended if I am visibly disghusted if I see him kissing another man.) or start posting tasteless lyrics then it should be moved to a new thread. This thread is about the film so if you've not seen the film and post this crap you obviously want to intentionally try and rile people. If that is your intention then please move it to a new thread.

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-16-2006

Tony,
Your review was thoughtful and well done. I agree on several points and disagree on some.

Disagree:
Anne Hathaway - I thought she was the weakest performance in the film, especially as she aged. She was stiff and clearly acting. It annoys me to no end to see acting on film.

Jake Gyllenhaal - Disappointing performance. Not awful but as not as good as it should have been. I've seen him do better.

Agree:
Heath Ledger - Now his was a stellar performance, understated yet deep, graceful yet rough, uneducated yet totally knowing. I forgot he was Heath Ledger, and that's the point of acting, IMO.

Ang Lee - You captured his strengths as a director. I thoroughly enjoy watching all of his movies. As you said, he can do no wrong in using the scenery and backgrounds of his scenes to such an extent that they become another character in the film.

Michelle Williams - Lovely performance in a role that could have been overlooked or underwritten.

Because of the lush beauty of the film, the overwhelming depth and breadth of the great wild west, it's a hard movie to forget. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of the story that I took with me, other than the basic unrequited love and harshness of being a member of the most hated minority on the planet. It's Ang Lee's singular images that have played in my mind like beautiful snapshots of a bittersweet vacation.

Brokeback Mountain - t4terrific - 01-16-2006

Marc B. Wrote:I think the point of Paige's comment was that if people were going to start debating homosexuality and/or discuss how they find the practice "vial" (I just don't want him to be offended if I am visibly disghusted if I see him kissing another man.) or start posting tasteless lyrics then it should be moved to a new thread. This thread is about the film so if you've not seen the film and post this crap you obviously want to intentionally try and rile people. If that is your intention then please move it to a new thread.

This post must be a joke Marc! Are you telling me that all threads must remain specifically on topic? That's never happened in the history of this forum. I've merely discussed the subject matter of the film from the origional post. I do not have to see the film to intelligently discuss the subject matter.

I never use the word "vial". Maybe "vile", but I don't remember using it either. I never write lyrics or poems either. That was someone else. You can't just lump everyone together. Should I say you are a terrible film maker because most indy films suck? It doesn't work like that.

So until FPW creates a mandate saying that "all threads must remain specifically on topic, and all other conversation, although closely related to the subject matter of the origional post, must be taken elsewhere", then I think you are wrong.

Brokeback Mountain - NewYorkjoe - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:Hmm...not quite sure why the poem was posted again, a scant 6 hours later, with nothing but the post title changed slightly. I'm also not sure why being a New Yorker makes any difference with such a post. I was born and raised in NYC and still live here. My brother is gay and I wouldn't think to speak of him in such a fashion. I just don't find it funny.

It's not a poem, it's a song; you see it has a tune ("Home on the Range"). Get it? It was posted again because it appeared not to go through the first time (believe me, I didn't type it twice for the practice).
My point in stating my background and awareness of the gay activist movement, its beginnings, its aims, and its ends (there I go again), is that I am not a homophobe, a fundamentalist religious fanatic, nor a redneck crossburner. I just poke fun at those who take themselves too seriously and let the air out of those too full of themselves.
No one should be victimized because of their sexual preference, whether verbally or physically, but if the Hollywood gay community takes an American icon like the cowboy and twists it to portray their own message . . .
You're damn right I'm gonna make fun of them! Whether one is gay or not should not be an issue, but if Hollywood sets up a big, fat target by producing such a movie, it is grist for my parody mill.
I'm tired of the Hollywood elite trying to brainwash this country!

Brokeback Mountain - NewYorkjoe - 01-16-2006

AsMoral Wrote:Oh this gun-toting ass
made a humorous pass
but the humor never arrived
he came across infantile
digusting and vile
and nothing clever was ever derived.

Just don't give up that day job just yet. You sure lost the rhythm on the third and last lines.

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:.... I do not have to see the film to intelligently discuss the subject matter.....

That is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen posted on this board. How can you "intelligently discuss" something about which you have no ken? What you are discussing is not the movie but rather your strongly held feelings, opinions and fear of male homosexuality.

Granted threads on this board have gone astray; it is often fun to pull a thread and watch it unravel as it moves from thought to tangential thought. "Brokeback Mountain" does have as its basis a loving relationship between two men, so if one is afraid of such a love, then I guess you can say that discussing your fears and dislike of male homosexuality is somewhat related to the movie.

Just do not say that you can intelligently discuss the movie.

Brokeback Mountain - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:That is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen posted on this board. How can you "intelligently discuss" something about which you have no ken? What you are discussing is not the movie but rather your strongly held feelings, opinions and fear of male homosexuality.

Granted threads on this board have gone astray; it is often fun to pull a thread and watch it unravel as it moves from thought to tangential thought. "Brokeback Mountain" does have as its basis a loving relationship between two men, so if one is afraid of such a love, then I guess you can say that discussing your fears and dislike of male homosexuality is somewhat related to the movie.

Just do not say that you can intelligently discuss the movie.

I don't think T meant anything bad, Maggers.