RepairmanJack.com Forums
Director for the RJ Movie? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Director for the RJ Movie? (/thread-2516.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Director for the RJ Movie? - Kenji - 10-12-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:Have you ever read the novel of Man On Fire by AJ Quinnel? I am curious becasue I think Man On Fire is one of my favourite ever books, and I was devastated when the film turned out to be a disappointment.

If you havent read it, I heartily reccommend it. But if you have read it, I wonder how you can be so enthusiastic about the film? What was your favourite part?

I like the movie and the novel. Denzel Washington was cool.

But I prefer Scott Glenn's Creasy. His Creasy was akin to original.

Director for the RJ Movie? - The "Other" Otherness - 10-12-2007

I guess as long as they don't use Joel Shumacher it'll be alright most likely.

Director for the RJ Movie? - law dawg - 10-12-2007

Paul R Wrote:I've loved Jack for over twenty years now (now there's a sentence I hope never gets taken out of context!)
Man, I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on that one too....Wink

Quote:Yes, it'll be a rush to see Repairman Jack finally brought to the masses, and many people are sure to become avid readers of the series too. But does anyone really think it will be as good and as faithful as we all want it to be?
Just my opinion, of course, please feel free to shoot me down!Big Grin
This is always the problem - you have to satisfy the core geek audience (LD raises his hand proudly!) yet be not so "wink-wink this is for the insiders and hard-core fans" that it scares off the masses, because the masses pay the bills. The core audience will see it no matter what, but those others? That's what you're banking on.

Think of it like politics - usually Dems vote Dem and Repubs vote Repub. No surprises there. But it's the independents whose vote makes or breaks the election.

bones weep tedium Wrote:This reminds me of what I was ranting at Auskar about in the Dark Knight thread a whle back.

Why do fans of books/comics look forward to film adaptations? Aside from the fact that the majority of them are rubbish, what is it about a film that makes it intrinsically better than a book?

Upon hearing that RJ is being made into a film, our response should be a disinterested shrug. We already know the story and love the character, what could we possible gain from a movie version other than disappointment? :confused:
I hear exactly what you're saying but I answer thusly-

Have you ever been scared reading a book? I have, but only once.

Have you ever been scared watching a movie? I have, many times.

Mood and a visceral sense of what it is like to actually BE THERE. We are visual creatures. I just can't get the same sense of what it actually feels like to be there in a book. You can tell me all day long, in excruciating detail, how scared RJ was in the pit of Rakoshi and I won't get it like crawling along with the actor, seeing the sights, hearing the sounds, hearing the heartbeat thump faster and faster......

Nothing on the printed page can compare to that for me.

Now, where the visual medium fails miserably is getting into the character's head. Motivation, thought process, story, etc. This is where the world of books dominates.

Again, just my BS opinion on the matter.

And having such opinions, it should come as no surprise that mostly I go to the movies to watch action flicks, because that is where that medium excels. For drama I'm more content to read about it, although good drama can be done on the screen as well.

Kenji Wrote:Vanilla is original character in the novel, and chocolate is Denzel Washington? Big Grin
Got me! Wink

Director for the RJ Movie? - Auskar - 10-12-2007

law dawg Wrote:I hear exactly what you're saying but I answer thusly-
Thusly? Thusly? Thusly....?

Auskar Wrote:Thusly? Thusly? Thusly....?
Big Grin

Bonus points if you can tell me what quote I'm referencing.

Director for the RJ Movie? - Barry Lee Dejasu - 10-19-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:Why do fans of books/comics look forward to film adaptations? Aside from the fact that the majority of them are rubbish, what is it about a film that makes it intrinsically better than a book?

Upon hearing that RJ is being made into a film, our response should be a disinterested shrug. We already know the story and love the character, what could we possible gain from a movie version other than disappointment? :confused:

Well that's just a tad bit depressing. Don't you have ANY faith in filmmakers? There are some fabulous adaptations out there...who's to say this won't join their ranks?

Sheesh.

I'm pumped - is anyone else?

Director for the RJ Movie? - Biggles - 10-19-2007

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Don't you have ANY faith in filmmakers?

Sure! The same faith I have in Santa Clause! Except for Indies like Marc and David. Those guys I have faith in.

Director for the RJ Movie? - Auskar - 10-19-2007

Edward Zwick? I just watched Blood Diamond. It surprised the hell out of me. I didn't even get the chance for the automatic dislike of Leonardo DiCaprio.