RepairmanJack.com Forums
Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) (/thread-215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 06-13-2006

luthie2 Wrote:Oooh! That WAS a nasty one!

******All the Rage spoiler follows*******

The part where Jack went tracking Scarlip in the Barrens.....and then ran out of Molotovs. <shiver> Very scary scene - and an especially cool one at the end.

-Luthie

I'm not sure about that. You =know= Jack will make it. Only question is how.

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - jimbow8 - 06-13-2006

luthie2 Wrote:Scariest part of any FPW book? That ending of The Tomb. And not knowing if Jack is dead or alive.....for over a decade!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Luthie Smile
Agreed. That is something that cannot be duplicated anymore. Now most readers know that there are more RJ stories afterwards......

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - jimbow8 - 06-13-2006

webby Wrote:Spookiness. I'm sensing a common theme here.... you could say all of our posts in this thread today are about loss of control or helplessness.

What does RJ hate most? Situations he can't control - when he has to improvise.

I've been wondering what so many different kinds of people (the members of this forum) would have in common that makes us all such huge fans of RJ and FPW. I wonder if it is something to do with this "lack of control is scarey" thing? The worst feeling in the world to me is helplessness. I wonder how many others on this board would say the same...
:confused:
This reminds me of a question I had for Paul. Paul, I remember in your intro to The Barrens, you said that your introduction/hook to Lovecraft was the story "The Thing On The Doorstep." This story has a "personality swap"/person not in control of his own body. Was your use of similar ideas (SIBS, etc) a conscious thing or just a subconscious use of a concept by writer you admire so much?

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - fpw - 06-13-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:This reminds me of a question I had for Paul. Paul, I remember in your intro to The Barrens, you said that your introduction/hook to Lovecraft was the story "The Thing On The Doorstep." This story has a "personality swap"/person not in control of his own body. Was your use of similar ideas (SIBS, etc) a conscious thing or just a subconscious use of a concept by writer you admire so much?

[SIZE="3"]Unconscious. Years ago I was asked to write a brief article/commentary on HPL, so I decided to go back to my first encounter with him. All I'd remembered of "...Doorstep" was the great opening line (which I referenced in the opening of "The Barrens"). But as I reread "...Doorstep" I was shocked and embarrassed by the plot and thematic parallels between it and Sibs. I'd ripped off the Maestro.[/SIZE]

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Vargas - 06-13-2006

webby Wrote:Spookiness. I'm sensing a common theme here.... you could say all of our posts in this thread today are about loss of control or helplessness.

What does RJ hate most? Situations he can't control - when he has to improvise.

I've been wondering what so many different kinds of people (the members of this forum) would have in common that makes us all such huge fans of RJ and FPW. I wonder if it is something to do with this "lack of control is scarey" thing? The worst feeling in the world to me is helplessness. I wonder how many others on this board would say the same...
:confused:

I guess an answer to your question, for me personally would be along the same lines as why guys like James Bond and action movies--the wish that we could become that character. Who wouldn't want to be Repairman Jack and be a total badass that is invisible to the police and government, be a weapons expert, an incredible street fighter, and while his actions are illegal, he's usually on the right side and does things for the right reasons. Who wouldn't want that?

I'm sure that most people, like me, finish a Repairman Jack novel and for a brief period of time, want to go into a similar lifestyle but then we remember that we already have a Social Security number, our fingerprints are on file and we've already filed our taxes.

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Unconscious. Years ago I was asked to write a brief article/commentary on HPL, so I decided to go back to my first encounter with him. All I'd remembered of "...Doorstep" was the great opening line (which I referenced in the opening of "The Barrens"). But as I reread "...Doorstep" I was shocked and embarrassed by the plot and thematic parallels between it and Sibs. I'd ripped off the Maestro.[/SIZE]
Ahh .... but yours has (more) sex. Wink

It goes to show how influential HPL was on you and on the "horror" genre as a whole. One day someone will look back and say "Damn! I didn't realize how similar my story was to that F Paul Wilson novel!"

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Silverfish - 06-13-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:One day someone will look back and say "Damn! I didn't realize how similar my story was to that F Paul Wilson novel!"

I concur.

Stephanie

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Vargas - 06-13-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:Ahh .... but yours has (more) sex. Wink

I didn't realize how similar my story was to that F Paul Wilson novel!"

Exaclty. Just like yesterday when I re-read the first novel that I wrote called "Repairman Jim" (it's about a guy that fixes stuff for people that can't go to the cops but he lives in LA) I was suprised to see how much it reminded me of FPW's work.

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 06-18-2006

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Unconscious. Years ago I was asked to write a brief article/commentary on HPL, so I decided to go back to my first encounter with him. All I'd remembered of "...Doorstep" was the great opening line (which I referenced in the opening of "The Barrens"). But as I reread "...Doorstep" I was shocked and embarrassed by the plot and thematic parallels between it and Sibs. I'd ripped off the Maestro.[/SIZE]

Well, what's the old line? "Talent imitates. Genius steals."Wink

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Kenji - 07-01-2006

[SIZE="3"]**********Major spoiler alert about HARBINGERS**********[/SIZE]

If you haven't read HARBINGERS yet, stop reading this post

I'm still reading "Harbingers", but death of The Oculus freaked me out!

His limbs had been torn from their sockets and...."What? Ewwww!!!"......rearranged so that his arms jutted from his hip sockets....."OMG! What?!".....his legs from his shoulders, in a spread-eagle fashion.......Then I imagined that scene. Spread-eagle.....fashion....? Ewww!!!:eek:

Paul, how did you imagine such creepy scenes?! :p