RepairmanJack.com Forums
Hellboy - the Movie - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Hellboy - the Movie (/thread-43.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hellboy - the Movie - Ken Valentine - 04-02-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:You never complained about LXG? Why not? What was there to not complain about?

You never complained about Starship Troopers. Big Grin

Ken V. - (ducking and running)

Hellboy - the Movie - jimbow8 - 04-02-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:You never complained about Starship Troopers. Big Grin

Ken V. - (ducking and running)
You better duck and run! Wink

It's not like it's my favorite movie ever!

Hellboy - the Movie - Dave - 04-02-2004

fpw Wrote:YES! I was crazy about the series -- my first exposure to Dave Stevens -- and haunted CBG for news that the next installment was out. The film was a wonderful period thriller. I like it enough to have bought a copy.

I love the part when he's trying out the rocket pack and loses control; he ends up skimming across a pond like a stone to end up covered in mud and weeds. He stands, pulls off the (yes, very cool) helmet and says, "I like it!"

And I don't think Jennifer Connolly has ever looked more beautiful than in The Rocketeer.

I agree whole heartedly about the movie, and Miss Connelly. I think I fell in love with her having seen that movie. If only I'd known she was into geeky looking Englishmen, I would have become an actor.

I've got the film on video, but I'm waiting for a good edition to come out on DVD before I purchase it, the current version in the UK is just bare bones. Does anyone know if the US version has extras?

Dave

Hellboy - the Movie - fpw - 04-02-2004

A Hollywood friend of mine just saw the film and dubbed it "Heckboy."

Hellboy - the Movie - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-02-2004

Haw! Ain't that nice!

Hellboy - the Movie - Matthew Smith - 04-02-2004

Dave Wrote:I've got the film on video, but I'm waiting for a good edition to come out on DVD before I purchase it, the current version in the UK is just bare bones. Does anyone know if the US version has extras?

Dave

The American dvd of "the Rocketeer" is as bare bones as it gets, I'm afraid. It has the movie and that's it. I doubt they have any plans for a special edition. Though I'd buy a copy if they ever did.

--Matthew

Hellboy - the Movie - Jay #1 - 04-02-2004

Better than horn boy as a friend of mine called it.

fpw Wrote:A Hollywood friend of mine just saw the film and dubbed it "Heckboy."

Hellboy - the Movie - Barry Lee Dejasu - 04-03-2004

[QUOTE=fpw][SIZE=3]Well, just got back from the screening. Hellboy was...okay. Lot--LOTS--of good stuff (especially the opening sequence in WWII), but then too much of some other stuff. They crammed an awful lot into 2 hours, and I think a lot of the glue wound up cut. That might explain the plot holes.

I agree 100%. I was hoping the movie would have been much better than it was ultimately. A lot of the fight scenes were very anti-climatic...like at the end,

SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS

when Hellboy was swallowed by the beast that emerged from Rasputin's body, and then blew up the grenades...it was just too rushed. In fact, I'd say that there wasn't too much trying to be crammed into the movie; I'd say there was too little. There could have been so many more examples of the kinds of things Hellboy runs into (I mean, he's run into ghosts, aliens, goblins, vampires, gods from various religions/parts of the world, etc. Here it is mostly just self-contained mythos being referred to/used as plot devices.

Then again, X-MEN had its flaws, yet was still good. X2 was better...maybe another HELLBOY would be good.

If there could only be a way to adapt WAKE THE DEVIL. Now THERE's an episode that would make a KICKASS movie.

All in all, I give it 3 1/2 stars (out of 5).

Hellboy - the Movie - Lisa - 04-03-2004

Barry, you really didn't need to put 100 "SPOILER" warnings in. :p Five is more than enough. For the sake of our eyes, I edited your post.

Lisa

Hellboy - the Movie - Barry Lee Dejasu - 04-03-2004

Lisa Wrote:Barry, you really didn't need to put 100 "SPOILER" warnings in. :p Five is more than enough. For the sake of our eyes, I edited your post.

Lisa

Yeah, but I've typed a simple "SPOILERS!" thing five times before for something, and people complained that it wasn't enough, so...I thought I was doing the right thing.

Man, this was practically my first "real" post on this new board, and already I'm screwing things up. Sad