RepairmanJack.com Forums
Infernal - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Infernal (/thread-1307.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Infernal - Hawkou8 - 11-22-2005

Biggles Wrote:There's no such thing as too much of a good thing; on that I agree with you. Still, one of Paul's books at 250-300 pages matches up favorably with one of Dean's at 338 (The Taking) or one of Stephen's at 1138 (IT). I will take quality over quantity any day. Paul's writing style is very "efficient". He doesn't ever waste words; yet he writes in a style that draws me into his books and stories as no other author's ever has. I've been hooked since The Keep.
I completely agree with your assessment. The Keep was my first also, It would be great if there were any RJ books that I haven't read. I am waiting for "The Last Rakosh" hopefully it will be here soon.

Infernal - Maggers - 11-22-2005

Hawkou8 Wrote:It would be great if there were any RJ books that I haven't read.

Have you read all the RJ short stories? There aren't too many.

Infernal - Hawkou8 - 11-23-2005

Maggers Wrote:Have you read all the RJ short stories? There aren't too many.
No I have never had the chance to read the short stories or "Enemy of the State" I assume (perhaps Incorrectly) that was made into the movie of the same name with Wil Smith? I won't watch Smith movies unless it's a comedy he ruined Independence Day for me. I hated to see the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air smarting off to aliens.

Infernal - Maggers - 11-23-2005

Hawkou8 Wrote:No I have never had the chance to read the short stories or "Enemy of the State" I assume (perhaps Incorrectly) that was made into the movie of the same name with Wil Smith?

Completely different. Couldn't be more different. Utterly unrelated. And absolutely brilliant, FPW's "An Enemy of the State."

Infernal - jimbow8 - 11-23-2005

Hawkou8 Wrote:No I have never had the chance to read the short stories or "Enemy of the State" I assume (perhaps Incorrectly) that was made into the movie of the same name with Wil Smith? I won't watch Smith movies unless it's a comedy he ruined Independence Day for me. I hated to see the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air smarting off to aliens.
No, it is not the basis for the movie. The novel is futuristic sci-fi. It goes with Healer and Wheels Within Wheels (or compiled in The LaNague Chronicles).

Infernal - fpw - 11-23-2005

Hawkou8 Wrote:I completely agree with your assessment. The Keep was my first also, It would be great if there were any RJ books that I haven't read. I am waiting for "The Last Rakosh" hopefully it will be here soon.

Be warned: "The Last Rakosh" is a collector's edition. If you've read All the Rage, you won't find much new.

Infernal - Hawkou8 - 11-23-2005

fpw Wrote:Be warned: "The Last Rakosh" is a collector's edition. If you've read All the Rage, you won't find much new.

I have read 'All the Rage", the publishing house said that the printing was pushed back due to final revisions by the author, so this is a rehash of "All the Rage". the distributor also advertised no shipping charges but when I put it in the cart it added 5 bucks more to the cost of the book and still said free shipping -Overlook - They also called it the new book by FPW

In 1990 "The Last Rakosh" was a story about Jack's reunion with Scarlip. Vicky was in the story. I removed her when I incorporated the story into All the Rage. Overlook wanted to reprint the short story, so I went to the trouble (they didn't ask me to) of revising it to bring it into line with All the Rage. The end result is a novelette that is more than the original short story, but different from Jack's meetings with Scarlip in the novel because Vicky has been restored.

Simple, huh.

Not.

Nothing's simple in small press publishing. (Nor large press, for that matter.)

Infernal - Lisa - 11-23-2005

So there are two different versions? Are the separate versions from All The Rage and Last Rakosh compatible with the same RJ-verse, or not? Just curious.

Lisa

Lisa Wrote:So there are two different versions? Are the separate versions from All The Rage and Last Rakosh compatible with the same RJ-verse, or not?

Yes. The only difference from the novel is that Vicky is along when Jack first visits the freak show and she's the first one to see Scarlip.