RepairmanJack.com Forums
Meeting Kojima-san - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Meeting Kojima-san (/thread-103.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Meeting Kojima-san - jimbow8 - 05-25-2004

If this has been posted already, forgive me, but is this game scheduled to be a PC game or a console (which console?) game or both?

Meeting Kojima-san - nijimeijer - 05-25-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:If this has been posted already, forgive me, but is this game scheduled to be a PC game or a console (which console?) game or both?

Given Kojima's history, I'd guess console.

And given the time frame, it'll either be a very late current generation game, or a near launch next generation game.

Also given his history, I'd look for PS2/3 development.

Meeting Kojima-san - Scott Hajek - 05-25-2004

nijimeijer Wrote:Given Kojima's history, I'd guess console.

And given the time frame, it'll either be a very late current generation game, or a near launch next generation game.

Also given his history, I'd look for PS2/3 development.

I would hope (beyond hope, I'm sure) for all three major consoles. At least two of the three... if it's only a PS2/3 game, I might have to reconsider. Then again, I might just have to buy the console anyway.

Meeting Kojima-san - nijimeijer - 05-25-2004

Scott Hajek Wrote:I would hope (beyond hope, I'm sure) for all three major consoles. At least two of the three... if it's only a PS2/3 game, I might have to reconsider. Then again, I might just have to buy the console anyway.

I'd say being a movie tie in would help it get multiplatform release, but look at the first LotR game. Okay, let me clarify--look for potential time exclusive to a single console, then perhaps ports.

Meeting Kojima-san - jimbow8 - 05-25-2004

I hope its a PC game. I still believe they have the most flexibility.

Meeting Kojima-san - fpw - 05-25-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I hope its a PC game. I still believe they have the most flexibility.

Kojima-san didn't appear too enthusiastic about the PC platform.

Meeting Kojima-san - nijimeijer - 05-26-2004

fpw Wrote:Kojima-san didn't appear too enthusiastic about the PC platform.

Yeah, he's more about the immersive experience that consoles can provide, since they involve using a tv, sitting on your couch, etc., like a movie. In addition, with a simple controller, you're more in tune with the controls.

Personally, I disagree. Wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, most of the gaming world seems to currently agree with him, aside from a few stalwarts. I was sad when the PC world lost Warren Spector.

Meeting Kojima-san - jimbow8 - 05-26-2004

nijimeijer Wrote:Yeah, he's more about the immersive experience that consoles can provide, since they involve using a tv, sitting on your couch, etc., like a movie. In addition, with a simple controller, you're more in tune with the controls.

Personally, I disagree. Wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, most of the gaming world seems to currently agree with him, aside from a few stalwarts. I was sad when the PC world lost Warren Spector.
I actually find PC controls much easier (more intuitive) to use than my PS2 controller. A mouse and keyboard is so much more versatile.

Meeting Kojima-san - Noelie - 05-26-2004

Quote:I actually find PC controls much easier (more intuitive) to use than my PS2 controller. A mouse and keyboard is so much more versatile.

Yeah, me too. When I first started gaming on my PC, I found it very awkward compared to my PS controller. But once I got used to it, I vastly prefer to game on my PC.

Meeting Kojima-san - Scott Hajek - 05-26-2004

The main advantage to producing a game for consoles versus the PC is the level playing field of hardware. It's tough to make a game for a near infinite number of PC variations versus three different consoles.

I used to think that the PC was the way to go, but it depends on the type of game. For RTS and FPS games, the PC is better, but for adventure games like the Zelda-type games, the console is easier with limited controls... Fighting games are also better on consoles.

I rethought my stand on which console I would prefer. I don't care. All that matters is if the game is fun, faithful to the source material and not rushed to the stores before it is done (Enter the Matrix, anyone?)