RepairmanJack.com Forums
I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie (/thread-2999.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - Legion - 08-11-2008

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How's the little one doing, Esteban? Post a pitchur sometime, maybe?

Thanks for asking! He's doing great! Stood up on his own for the first time last night. He's using the Crib bars for support but its still standing!

He's got his first two teeth coming in too. They're sharp as hell. And of course now he loves to bite even more than before.

Its like out of nowhere he's suddenly learning EVERYTHING. Pics coming soon.Smile

I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 08-11-2008

Legion Wrote:Thanks for asking! He's doing great! Stood up on his own for the first time last night. He's using the Crib bars for support but its still standing!

He's got his first two teeth coming in too. They're sharp as hell. And of course now he loves to bite even more than before.

Its like out of nowhere he's suddenly learning EVERYTHING. Pics coming soon.Smile

That's so fine! My cohort at work, Glenn N, master bassist, has a little fella, gonna be 2 in December. Glenn is constantly amazed at the boy's progress. "Blues, when I practice, he =dances=! He wants to play bass with me!"

jimbow8 Wrote:He tends to buck the system. I could be wrong here, though.

That's why I want him. Who better to do the RJ movie than somebody that loves to stick it to the man. Hell, he did Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog during the strike just to show that you did not need a big budget and you did NOT require the studios or the unions.

Also, despite that part of his nature, Hollywood still wants him. He was one of the first people in a LONG time to not only do a long running super natural series, but two of them, on two different networks simultaneously.

The reason Serenity went down was that until the new Battlestar Gallactica the studios were almost done with space oriented sci-fi. The last star trek show, Enterprise almost killed the genre. The only thing that kept that show afloat resided on the chest of the Vulcan character.

I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - jimbow8 - 08-11-2008

Legion Wrote:That's why I want him. Who better to do the RJ movie than somebody that loves to stick it to the man. Hell, he did Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog during the strike just to show that you did not need a big budget and you did NOT require the studios or the unions.
Nothing studio execs like better than someone who like to stick it to them.... The fact that he went outside the system kinda proves my point.
Quote:Also, despite that part of his nature, Hollywood still wants him. He was one of the first people in a LONG time to not only do a long running super natural series, but two of them, on two different networks simultaneously.
Thinks ended poorly between Whedon and either UPN, or WB or both. Things went very poorly with Fox and he vowed never to work with them again.

.... of course his new series will be with Fox.
Quote:The reason Serenity went down was that until the new Battlestar Gallactica the studios were almost done with space oriented sci-fi. The last star trek show, Enterprise almost killed the genre. The only thing that kept that show afloat resided on the chest of the Vulcan character.

As far as Hollywood still wanting him ..... On what are you basing this? What's on his resume (within or without the Hollywood system) since Serenity in 2005? He's directed 2 episodes of the Office according to IMDb, and that's it! Until Dr Horrible (independent) and then his upcoming projects. They haven't been exactly busting down his door.

jimbow8 Wrote:Nothing studio execs like better than someone who like to stick it to them.... The fact that he went outside the system kinda proves my point.

Thinks ended poorly between Whedon and either UPN, or WB or both. Things went very poorly with Fox and he vowed never to work with them again.

.... of course his new series will be with Fox.

As far as Hollywood still wanting him ..... On what are you basing this? What's on his resume (within or without the Hollywood system) since Serenity in 2005? He's directed 2 episodes of the Office according to IMDb, and that's it! Until Dr Horrible (independent) and then his upcoming projects. They haven't been exactly busting down his door.

Right now MgM has him doing Cabin in the Woods, and he has the comic industry by the balls. If you can honestly say that you believe comics have no say in Hollywood these days you need to do some more research. DC, Darkhorse and Marvel ALL run ALOT of stuff these days.

As for dr horrible? It was put on itunes without any real studio involvement. That's saying something.

I am not saying have him direct it, just write it.

Hell, get Kevin Smith too, come to think of it. Both of them do massive amounts of ghost writing. I've met both. Smith is kinda cool. Whedon is a GIANT nerd of Potsy like proportions. The guy is funny on paper. In real life, he freezes and gets awkward.

I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - Wapitikev - 08-11-2008

Legion Wrote:From what I understand they've been going through writers like wildfire.
Not exactly Wildfire...at least not since 2006 when Chris Morgan signed (back) on.

While there have been several versions of the script in the 12 years that Beacon has owned the rights (over 1,075 re-writes as of Feb 2005), looking at FPW's movie blog shows that the last treatment by Chris Morgan (FPW's words: "...I LOVE it.") was completed in spring 2007.

Side Note: Chris was working on the "Vin Deisel" script in the fall of '06 which caused a delay in completing the final tweaks on the Raksohi script...that other script was obviously for the Fast and Furious sequel that is currently filming with Chris Morgan's script and all the original cast.

Chris' new script was a re-write of a 2003 script that was very close to the book and, FPW states in 2006: "...it’s a non-stop action yarn with lots of crisp, clever dialogue." It is only natural to assume that Chris Morgan polished it up even further.

There were only 2 other screen writers involved since 2004 and they were trying to rehabilitate a "...disappointing script."

Judging by FPW's comments, he doesn't think that there's a problem on the writing front.

Legion Wrote:What about Joss Whedon? He has more experience writing good paranormal related works than most these days, he is also a writer for comics, and he also has major connections in Hollywood. If they could get his name behind the project it might kick the project in the arse.

Plus, he could probably get James Fillion as Jack.

The guy has range. not only did he create Buffy, but I am pretty sure he won an Oscar for Toy Story. That's what i call range.

Any opinions? Info?

Joss was nominated for an Oscar for Toy Story (he is listed first on the DVD for the story) but he didn't win...Christopher McQuarrie won for The Usual Suspects.

I loved Serenity but we have to face the fact that Joss has a rocky history for movie screenplays (Atlantis: The Lost Empire 2001, Titan A.E. 2000, Alien: Resurrection 1997). And "He created Buffy" is not exactly a ringing endorsement, since I don't enjoy vampire culture stories, in general.

While I love Nathan, he's too tall, a tad old at 37 (he could be 40 by the time they finished filming), and far too handsome to play Jack-the average pale male.
Rasalom? Far more Suitable.

As I mentioned in the TV show thread, Joss is the only one I'd trust to handle Jack on the small screen and, even then, I'm not even sure that I'd want to see what happens to jack after he is homogenized for prime time.

As far as the movie goes...I'm ok with Joss producing, but that's as far on that bandwagon as I'm willing to jump.

-Wapitikev

I think I solved the script problem for RJ the movie - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 08-11-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Not exactly Wildfire...at least not since 2006 when Chris Morgan signed (back) on.

While there have been several versions of the script in the 12 years that Beacon has owned the rights (over 1,075 re-writes as of Feb 2005), looking at FPW's movie blog shows that the last treatment by Chris Morgan (FPW's words: "...I LOVE it.") was completed in spring 2007.

Side Note: Chris was working on the "Vin Deisel" script in the fall of '06 which caused a delay in completing the final tweaks on the Raksohi script...that other script was obviously for the Fast and Furious sequel that is currently filming with Chris Morgan's script and all the original cast.

Chris' new script was a re-write of a 2003 script that was very close to the book and, FPW states in 2006: "...it’s a non-stop action yarn with lots of crisp, clever dialogue." It is only natural to assume that Chris Morgan polished it up even further.

There were only 2 other screen writers involved since 2004 and they were trying to rehabilitate a "...disappointing script."

Judging by FPW's comments, he doesn't think that there's a problem on the writing front.

Joss was nominated for an Oscar for Toy Story (he is listed first on the DVD for the story) but he didn't win...Christopher McQuarrie won for The Usual Suspects.

I loved Serenity but we have to face the fact that Joss has a rocky history for movie screenplays (Atlantis: The Lost Empire 2001, Titan A.E. 2000, Alien: Resurrection 1997). And "He created Buffy" is not exactly a ringing endorsement, since I don't enjoy vampire culture stories, in general.

While I love Nathan, he's too tall, a tad old at 37 (he could be 40 by the time they finished filming), and far too handsome to play Jack-the average pale male.
Rasalom? Far more Suitable.

As I mentioned in the TV show thread, Joss is the only one I'd trust to handle Jack on the small screen and, even then, I'm not even sure that I'd want to see what happens to jack after he is homogenized for prime time.

As far as the movie goes...I'm ok with Joss producing, but that's as far on that bandwagon as I'm willing to jump.

-Wapitikev

Wouldn't it be fun to read the scripts that didn't make it?

Legion Wrote:Hell, get Kevin Smith too, come to think of it. Both of them do massive amounts of ghost writing. I've met both. Smith is kinda cool. Whedon is a GIANT nerd of Potsy like proportions. The guy is funny on paper. In real life, he freezes and gets awkward.

As with Whedon, Kevin Smith can produce and that's where things end for me with him...I do not want to see a Jack and Silent Abe movie written or directed by Kevin.

Although he is one of my top 5 choices for Abe in the 2015 cast.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Wouldn't it be fun to read the scripts that didn't make it?

For that kind of fun I prefer Nyquil.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev Wrote:For that kind of fun I prefer Nyquil.

-Wapitikev

Now, Wap, how can you say that? Some of those scripts might be =great=, but not within budget.