RepairmanJack.com Forums
Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** (/thread-2801.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Wapitikev - 04-13-2008

Libby Wrote:Thank you for the kind welcome.:o

And you're right, I do need to read the advasary circle, I know that the RJ series would make more sense if I do. The problem is that I am a minor and live in the middle of nowhere, and we don't have any of the Advasary circle (except the Tomb, of courseSmile). My parents can't seem to get around to buying any of the avasary circle, and I can't. It sucks.Sad I will see if my mom will let me use her credit card on ebay, though. Thanks for the tip!Smile

Hi, Libby.

I understand your situation...but before you buy anything or pay for postage, I recommend the Public Library...your local library is very likely part of an Interlibrary Loan consortium that can get books from other libraries, even if you local library is very small.

I've read all the Adversary Cycle and almost all the Jack books that way. My library system even had Barrens and Others, Thriller and Revalations short story collections, so I only had to track down three Jack short stories and one Adversary short story to buy, online.

...all for free from my friendly neighbourhood library.

Best of luck, whatever way you decide to go.

But a word of advice...Adversary passes the Jack series after Reborn...so if you don't want major spoilers, you may want to wait on the Touch, Reprisal, and the rest of Adversary until the rest of the Jack books are released (The anticipation is killing me, let me tell you).

-Wapitikev

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Libby - 04-13-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Hi, Libby.

I understand your situation...but before you buy anything or pay for postage, I recommend the Public Library...your local library is very likely part of an Interlibrary Loan consortium that can get books from other libraries, even if you local library is very small.

I've read all the Adversary Cycle and almost all the Jack books that way. My library system even had Barrens and Others so I only had to track down three Jack short stories and one Adversary short story.

...all for free from my friendly neighbourhood library.

Best of luck, whatever way you decide to go.

But a word of advice...Adversary passes the Jack series after Reborn...so if you don't want major spoilers, you may want to wait on the Touch, Reprisal, and the rest of Adversary until the rest of the Jack books are released (The anticipation is killing me, let me tell you).

-Wapitikev

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunatly, the closest library has some Repairman Jack books, and that is the extent of of FPW books. The other semi-close library has no FPW books, at least none that I could find. I looked in Abe books, and found wonderfully cheaps of both the Keep and Reborn. And I shall take your advice on waiting. Thank you again.Big Grin

Libby Wrote:Thank you for the advice. Unfortunatly, the closest library has some Repairman Jack books, and that is the extent of of FPW books. The other semi-close library has no FPW books, at least none that I could find. I looked in Abe books, and found wonderfully cheaps of both the Keep and Reborn. And I shall take your advice on waiting. Thank you again.Big Grin

Congratulations on your discoveries at Abe books. You'll enjoy them immensely, I am sure.

Libraries are notoriously poor at advertising that they can get books for you from libraries far away from where you live (across the entire state and even the country).

I recommend asking a library staff member if they can bring in books for you from other libraries (ask at a Reference Desk... if your library isn't big enough to have a separate reference desk, then the check-out desk will have to do)

You may be pleasantly surprised.

-Wapitikev

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Libby - 04-13-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Congratulations on your discoveries at Abe books. You'll enjoy them immensely, I am sure.

Libraries are notoriously poor at advertising that they can get books for you from libraries far away from where you live (across the entire state and even the country).

-Wapitikev

WHAT???? You mean that they can get the books people want from other libraries? Why don't they tell us these things? I could have read the circle ages ago.:mad: Oh well. Thanks for the information!

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Miskatonic & Gin - 04-13-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:But a word of advice...Adversary passes the Jack series after Reborn...so if you don't want major spoilers, you may want to wait on the Touch, Reprisal, and the rest of Adversary until the rest of the Jack books are released (The anticipation is killing me, let me tell you).

-Wapitikev

You're spot on regarding the need to wait on Reprisal. I envy all of you people who haven't read Reprisal or Nightworld. I read both before I even got to read "Legacies". My second RJ book was Nightworld a full 6 or so years before "Legacies". Sheesh, I waited half of my waiting for a second RJ book. At least I can wait to read the revised version of "Nightworld" until I've finished the RJ books. So I've got that going for me....

But I'm pretty sure that you can read "The Touch" at any point. It's a stand alone book and I don't think it would provide any spoilers. In fact, I always recommend people read "The Touch" before "Reprisal" because of a cool little scene that references "The Touch" in "Reprisal". "All The Rage" also has a blink and you'll miss it scene that references "The Touch". Very minor but a cool little blip nontheless.

Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:You're spot on regarding the need to wait on Reprisal. I envy all of you people who haven't read Reprisal or Nightworld. I read both before I even got to read "Legacies". My second RJ book was Nightworld a full 6 or so years before "Legacies". Sheesh, I waited half of my waiting for a second RJ book. At least I can wait to read the revised version of "Nightworld" until I've finished the RJ books. So I've got that going for me....

But I'm pretty sure that you can read "The Touch" at any point. It's a stand alone book and I don't think it would provide any spoilers. In fact, I always recommend people read "The Touch" before "Reprisal" because of a cool little scene that references "The Touch" in "Reprisal". "All The Rage" also has a blink and you'll miss it scene that references "The Touch". Very minor but a cool little blip nontheless.

Excellent advice, Miskatonic & Gin. Thanks.

I'm trying to follow FPW's "Secret History of the World" from the top of the "Works" tab on (t)his website...so while The Touch has been gathering dust on my bookshelf, it doesn't take place until at least another book after By The Sword, maybe two. According to "Secret History of the World" By The Sword takes place in May and The Touch takes place in August.

I always wondered how much Jack there was in The Touch, as an Adversary book I knew there would be some. It's good to know that there isn't much...yet...but until I heard what By the Sword was about, I would have said the same thing about Black Wind...how wrong I was!

If its a matter of waiting another year to read The Touch, I will somehow manage, because FPW has a habit of surprising me.

Thanks again.

-Wapitikev

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Miskatonic & Gin - 04-13-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Excellent advice, Miskatonic & Gin. Thanks.

I'm trying to follow FPW's "Secret History of the World" from the top of the "Works" tab on (t)his website...so while The Touch has been gathering dust on my bookshelf, it doesn't take place until at least another book after By The Sword, maybe two. According to "Secret History of the World" By The Sword takes place in May and The Touch takes place in August.

I always wondered how much Jack there was in The Touch, as an Adversary book I knew there would be some. It's good to know that there isn't much...yet...but until I heard what By the Sword was about, I would have said the same thing about Black Wind...how wrong I was!

If its a matter of waiting another year to read The Touch, I will somehow manage, because FPW has a habit of surprising me.

Thanks again.

-Wapitikev

"The Touch" and "Reprisal" are both Jack-Free books. The characters in "The Touch" don't bleed over to any of the other books until "Nightworld". That being said, FPW still has 4 more Jack books to write so you never know. I think you're safe to read "The Touch" but you may want to solicit other readers' thoughts. However, after "By the Sword" I think the timeline indicates that you should read it at that point.

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Ken Valentine - 04-13-2008

Libby Wrote:And Ken V., thank you for the reference. I will see if I can get The Keep and Reborn there, and wait to read Nightworld as the last Jack book.Sad

You're welcome. One major reason I bought a computer in the first place was to find out of print books. And abebooks.com is where I found my copy of Reprisal.

Ken V.

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - Ken Valentine - 04-13-2008

Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:"The Touch" and "Reprisal" are both Jack-Free books. The characters in "The Touch" don't bleed over to any of the other books until "Nightworld". That being said, FPW still has 4 more Jack books to write so you never know. I think you're safe to read "The Touch" but you may want to solicit other readers' thoughts. However, after "By the Sword" I think the timeline indicates that you should read it at that point.

Not quite.

THE TOUCH actually takes place during the events of Reprisal. And the event which sets up THE TOUCH, occurs at the beginning of Bloodline.

In fact, all of the RJ books could be said to take place within the five years which tell the story of the major (non-Rasalom) character of REPRISAL.

Ken V.

Bloodline/RJ series ***SPOILERS*** - joelfinkle - 04-13-2008

Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:"The Touch" and "Reprisal" are both Jack-Free books. The characters in "The Touch" don't bleed over to any of the other books until "Nightworld". That being said, FPW still has 4 more Jack books to write so you never know. I think you're safe to read "The Touch" but you may want to solicit other readers' thoughts. However, after "By the Sword" I think the timeline indicates that you should read it at that point.

In addition to the notes above, a character from "The Touch" appears to briefly wander through "Jack: Secret Histories"