RepairmanJack.com Forums
Movies that SHOULD be remade - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Movies that SHOULD be remade (/thread-2800.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Movies that SHOULD be remade - dejo - 04-12-2008

Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:Now they're thinking about remaking The Thing. Leave JCs films alone!
Hey, wait. John Carpenter's "The Thing" already was a remake of 1951's "The Thing from Another World".

Movies that SHOULD be remade - Wapitikev - 04-12-2008

dejo Wrote:Hey, wait. John Carpenter's "The Thing" already was a remake of 1951's "The Thing from Another World".

Which was loosely adapted from the novella "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr.

So the posters before you, Dejo, seem to be saying that it was OK for JC to re-make it, but it's not OK for someone else to remake it. I can't argue with that kind of blinding logic.

Personally, if someone wants to waste their money remaking movies so that they are worse than the previous one, let 'em. It stimulates the economy in Hollywood and no-one makes me see movies that suck.

In fact, I hope they remake every JC movie...by the time someone gets around to re-making Prince of Darkness all the posers and wannabe horror directors will have had their chance and some unknown with talent can get a crack at it...that way, it has a chance to be good.

[continues to dream in technicolor]

Other movies that NEED to be remade:

Star Wars: Episode I and Episode II.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

NickelobLight Wrote:They could remake Daredevil, but make it...you know...good.

They did. It was the Director's Cut...it watches like a completely different, much better, movie. A lot happens in that extra 30 minutes...the story makes a lot more sense.

It completely changed my opinion of the film and angered me that they would have released such an eviscerated piece of crap...then I saw X-3 and vomited due to continuity shock.

-Wapitikev

jimbow8 Wrote:[SIZE="6"]AMEN!!![/SIZE]

What's next? ...Big Trouble in Little China ? (they could scrap that title song, though)

BTinLC is fine just the way it is...ok the song is really cheezy, but so's the whole movie...that's why I love it.Smile

But a sequel, on the other hand...now THAT has possibilities.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Belasco Wrote:Since "I Am Legend" did so well at the box office (though, I still find it a very poor adaptation), I'm hoping more Matheson properties get on the fast-track.

Having read the novella back in '79, I too was disappointed...particularly with the creature effects...the facial features of the DarkSeekers looked way too fake for me to suspend disbelief.

...or was it just me?

-Wapitikev

Movies that SHOULD be remade - Belasco - 04-12-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Having read the novella back in '79, I too was disappointed...particularly with the creature effects...the facial features of the DarkSeekers looked way too fake for me to suspend disbelief.

...or was it just me?

-Wapitikev

It wasn't just you, the effects weren't spectacular. My biggest problem was that it wasn't the novella. There was Neville, there was a vampirish threat, but it wasn't "I Am Legend". Neville looked too young and shouldn't have been a virologist from the start. Setting it in some kind of alternate universe L.A. in the 70's would have been fine. Then there's the reason it's called "I Am Legend" in the first place... changing that is what killed me. Thanks, Hollywood, for not getting it - again.

Movies that SHOULD be remade - NickelobLight - 04-12-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:They did. It was the Director's Cut...it watches like a completely different, much better, movie. A lot happens in that extra 30 minutes...the story makes a lot more sense.

It completely changed my opinion of the film and angered me that they would have released such an eviscerated piece of crap...then I saw X-3 and vomited due to continuity shock.

-Wapitikev

Yeah?

I don't know if I can sit through a couple hours of Ben Affleck again, though.

Basically, Maddox nailed it with his review of the movie. (beware...link contains {ahem} 'adult' language! :eek: )

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=dare_devil

NickelobLight Wrote:Yeah?

Basically, Maddox nailed it with his review of the movie. (beware...link contains {ahem} 'adult' language! :eek: )

LMAO.

While Maddox's main objection (connections between young and old matt) is not resolved by the movie, the additional scenes give it something resembling a real storyline and character development (of which the original had virtually none), particularly in the second half of the movie. In comparison to the Theatrical release, the DC is actually watchable, seeming much less like a long series of disjointed, ridiculous fight scenes tied together by a love scene (which is absent in the Directors cut BTW) and a lot more like a real movie.

The key word may still be "like" a real movie, however.

I see your point: another two hours of Affleck is two hours of your life that you'll never get back. However, should you have the time to invest (read as "kill"), I'm confident you'll enjoy it more than the theatrical version.

What did you think of Gone, Baby Gone (Affleck directed Affleck)?

-Wapitikev

Movies that SHOULD be remade - NickelobLight - 04-12-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:LMAO.

While Maddox's main objection (connections between young and old matt) is not resolved by the movie, the additional scenes give it something resembling a real storyline and character development (of which the original had virtually none), particularly in the second half of the movie. In comparison to the Theatrical release, the DC is actually watchable, seeming much less like a long series of disjointed, ridiculous fight scenes tied together by a love scene (which is absent in the Directors cut BTW) and a lot more like a real movie.

The key word may still be "like" a real movie, however.

I see your point: another two hours of Affleck is two hours of your life that you'll never get back. However, should you have the time to invest (read as "kill"), I'm confident you'll enjoy it more than the theatrical version.

What did you think of Gone, Baby Gone (Affleck directed Affleck)?

-Wapitikev

Haven't seen it. Don't want to see it. The only Ben Affleck movie I can tolerate is Sum of All Fears, and only because Morgan Freeman salvaged it, (doesn't mean it was good).

Movies that SHOULD be remade - jimbow8 - 04-12-2008

NickelobLight Wrote:Yeah?

I'll second Wapitikev's assessment of Daredevil Director's Cut. If you just CAN'T get past Affleck's portrayal of the character, then you probably still won't like it. But the DC does flesh out the characters a bit more and the plot is MUCH more focused. Kingpin seems to actually play a role rather than just being some guy that Daredevil fights at the end of the movie. I don't even remember well the original version, so I can't break down all the differences, but they do almost completely get rid of the love story between Daredevil and Elektra.