RepairmanJack.com Forums
"The Keep" DVD - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: "The Keep" DVD (/thread-229.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

"The Keep" DVD - Annice Burdeos - 07-12-2004

fpw Wrote:I've already worked this out. Since we're doing this months ahead of the DVD release, I have to act on the premise that the DVD will present the same version as the videotape. But it may not. So I'll announce at the beginning that I will at times mention a scene transition to allow anyone out of sync to sync up.

Hey, I'm all for this !!!!

Maybe I can have a few friends of mine in the industry interview you guys as you lambast Mann and co.......

"The Keep" DVD - fpw - 07-12-2004

hford713 Wrote:There's deleted scenes, documentaries, commentaries....etc. that have been waiting too long for this to finally see the light of day on DVD.

Yes, I know, but you won't see them here. The film bombed and Mann has disowned it. No extras, period.

hford713 Wrote:The Tangerine Dream fans alone would chart this release.

I told Paramount if they offered a separate musical track on the disk they would sell a ton more (apparently the original soundtrack is something of a Holy Grail for TD fans) but so one listened.

hford713 Wrote:FPW... What are your thoughts on [at least] the score done by TD?

I like the TD score--I often listen to it (Winter and Schow are BIG fans of the siundtrack--but I think it was inappropriate for the film.

"The Keep" DVD - jimbow8 - 07-12-2004

fpw Wrote:Yes, I know, but you won't see them here. The film bombed and Mann has disowned it. No extras, period.
I knew you hated it, but I didn't realize that Michael Mann had disowned it. Has he published any remarks about it? ....possibly as to why he made it like he did if he didn't like it?

fpw Wrote:I like the TD score--I often listen to it (Winter and Schow are BIG fans of the siundtrack--but I think it was inappropriate for the film.
I thought the score had some very eerie qualities to it which did seem to fit the tone of the movie. But then again, what do I know? I one of those weirdos who doesn't hate the movie. :p

"The Keep" DVD - Noelie - 07-13-2004

Tangerine Dream was great in Legend. I just didn't see it for The Keep.

"The Keep" DVD - Hung By The Neck Til Dead - 07-13-2004

fpw Wrote:I've already worked this out. Since we're doing this months ahead of the DVD release, I have to act on the premise that the DVD will present the same version as the videotape. But it may not. So I'll announce at the beginning that I will at times mention a scene transition to allow anyone out of sync to sync up.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know when and where to buy this commentary. I love the commentary's on DVDs. It is the reason I got a DVD player. My g/f gets pissed with my watching a movie then watching it again with the commentary on but it SHOWS so much more of the movie. I will even get just the commentary just to listen to you rag on the movie with out having the DVD!

"The Keep" DVD - fpw - 07-13-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I knew you hated it, but I didn't realize that Michael Mann had disowned it. Has he published any remarks about it? ....possibly as to why he made it like he did if he didn't like it?

He hasn't come out and said so much, but he somehow leaves it out of his filmography in interviews.

In fairness, I think he wanted to make a two-hour film, but after seeing what he'd shot Paramount told him they wanted a 90-min cut.

"The Keep" DVD - hford713 - 07-13-2004

fpw Wrote:He hasn't come out and said so much, but he somehow leaves it out of his filmography in interviews.

In fairness, I think he wanted to make a two-hour film, but after seeing what he'd shot Paramount told him they wanted a 90-min cut.
I can clearly see that.

I happen to be watching the film as I write this (it's currently on the Mystery Channel), and from an editorial standpoint, there were some pretty obnoxious gaps left during the process.

In regards to the score, it is indeed considered the Holy Grail by TD's avid (to put it mildly) fanbase. The most sought after and mysterious item seems to be a vinyl copy of it that Virgin [supposedly] released at the time. Since then, to compensate for the rights being tied up at Virgin, TD released their own version of the score on their label. (It's truly awful, as practically none of it corresponds with the actual score at all.) There are, however, the Blue Moon and Orange Records [bootleg] releases that contain the original score (one of which is probably what you posses.)

Unless, of course, you're the keeper of the Grail. (And if that happens to be the case, I will require your address, the best time when the house is left empty, and whether or not you have any pets capable of biting a total stranger.) Smile

Thanks.

p.s. I'm a 20+ year reader of FPW's works, but am new to this forum, so I apologize for any repetition regarding the above subject matter.

"The Keep" DVD - Biggles - 07-13-2004

hford713 Wrote:Unless, of course, you're the keeper of the Grail. (And if that happens to be the case, I will require your address, the best time when the house is left empty, and whether or not you have any pets capable of biting a total stranger.) Smile

Since you are new to the board, I wanted to warn you that Paul has a pet watchrakosh (named Muffie), that watches his home 24/7. Muffie is quite devoted to Paul, and watches his collection of Tangerine Dream soundtracks with the diligence and dedication of a chew wasp protecting her larvae (if you get my drift). Big Grin

"The Keep" DVD - fpw - 07-13-2004

hford713 Wrote:Unless, of course, you're the keeper of the Grail.

I do not have it. I saw it in Sam Goody shortly after the release of the film but I didn't buy it -- too pissed. I listen to a version painstakingly culled / edited from the stereo laserdisk by David Schow and his German friend, the mysterious Klaus.

"The Keep" DVD - kaemppfer - 08-05-2004

Hello
I do like very much the FPW "The Keep" book of course but I do like very much the Michael Mann movie version in his original film editing...To present myself, I tried to negociate to Paramount Pictures the "director'cut" collector edition"dvd release. I received absolutly no positive answers, Paramount have no consideration about their films specially for "The Keep"! They didn't understood the artistic, business opportunities to edit this dvd...

So, for the people who want to understand and see some rare documents about the original film editing of "The Keep"movie, I invite you on The Keep website: deleted scenes, rare interviews, pictures, special effects works....

If you have some documents or pictures of the movie, please, contact me!

Regards from France friend,

Stéphane Piter
piter_stephane@yahoo.fr