RepairmanJack.com Forums
Amazon Jack - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Amazon Jack (/thread-1145.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Amazon Jack - BrettM - 08-22-2005

RussM Wrote:Re: errors: I scanned through the PDF version and didn't see any underlined words as opposed to italic. Are you referring to a different version?
I got the same PDF version as anyone else, AFAIK. Heck, there are two underlined words on page 1 alone: "bistro" (end of third paragraph) and "lot" (last line). On page 2, third line has "lot" underlined, but the last line has "Mir's" in italic. Is your copy different?

Amazon Jack - fpw - 08-22-2005

Here's the thing (been away at Horrorfind or I'd have posted this sooner):

First off, I couldn't mention this before because of a NDA between my agent and Amazon. (Wouldn't have been a good idea anyway because Amazon repeatedly delayed the launch for 2-1/2 months.)

Second, I assumed that Amazon would, like any publisher, change all the stories into a single, consistent format. Apparently that's not so.

Third, "The Long Way Home" is possibly the only reprint in the lot. I had no time to write a new story, so I sent my agent "...Home" and said it had appeared in a 400-copy limited edition 15 years ago and nowhere since. (I've been saving it for expansion qwithin a novel.)

He checked with Amazon and found them adamant about no previously published material.

Later that same day he wrote back with good news: “Sounds like they realized how ludicrous their position was in regard to your piece, because they've changed their minds. In fact, Jeff Bezos himself said to screw the technicality in this case.”

I revised it to bring it into the 90s and sent it in.

So there's the story.

I'm going to reformat it myself -- single space, justified, etc -- and see if they'll post the new version.

Cool news: It was #3 in downloads over the weekend and is #5 today.

Amazon Jack - fpw - 08-24-2005

RussM Wrote:That's encouraging. I sent the link to my various list-groups. Hope the good sales continue.

Thanks. To that end, a few enthusiastic reviews wouldn't hurt. If you liked it, don't be shy -- say so.

Amazon Jack - Paul R - 08-25-2005

It seems being in Sunny England means I am to be denied The Long Way Home! Tried to get it from Amazon.com without luck (apparantly even in this digital age, they can't send it over here!) and so tried the co.uk version... but it isn't there! Aaarrrggghhhh! Will there be a chance us Brits will be able to get it soon? Very soon? Very, very soon?

Amazon Jack - RM_Jeff - 08-26-2005

Hey!
Just read about the Amazon short and bought it right away.
As said before, best $0.49 spent today!

So ... when is the next one coming out!

Glad to see Jack with the 6-pack of Rocks.

But having just moved to Texas (3 week a Texan)
has Jack tried a Shiner?

Jeff

Amazon Jack - Jay #1 - 08-26-2005

Every time I look at a Repairman Jack Story... I think to myself "Yes, he does take money. But not always. And when he does take the job, he puts himself in the shoes of his client so to speak, and as a result is slightly emotionally involved in it. Sometimes alot more so."

Nobody can deny that he does give a care about the ones he helps. Even if, as in Legacies where he helps a man get his pay from the construction boss who didn't pay him.... he will take advantage of whoever his client has hired him to work against and milk that adversary for all they're worth whenever necessary.

On the one hand, he's doing this to make a living, for himself and his family. On the other, he will move beyond the money aspect in extreme situations and go directly for the jugular.

RussM Wrote:T Jack is not a do-gooder per se. He fixes problems on a cash-and-carry basis. He's not a crime fighter; in fact, he's a career criminal. He does his damnedest to avoid the police.

Russ Madden

Amazon Jack - jimbow8 - 08-28-2005

How come you can't add this to your CART? I usually throw stuff in my cart for later or on my wish list and spend it when I earn enough CC points to get a GC. I'd rather not charge $.49 to my credit card.

Amazon Jack - hipshot49 - 02-04-2006

Blake Wrote:There were quite a few small, nitpicky errors. Note that some curly quotes show up mixed with the straight ones, for example. (Yes, I'm that anal. The first step is admitting you have a problem. And I'm not there yet.)

Good catch on the spacing. I have to admit that it never occurred to me to notice.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

I have to respectfully disagree on stretching the story into a novel, though. I thought it was made for the short story format. A novel would've given too much time, I think, for Jack's prints and other information to start traveling elsewhere in the station, get filed, etc., making resolution much more difficult, if not impossible.

END SPOILER

Blake

Actually, my nit has nothing to do with formatting, punctuation, etc., although they ARE annoying.

My question is this. How did Jack's "steel-toed work boots" [Line 4; Page 3] magically transform into "his sneakers whispering along" [Line 19; Page 4]? I caught this discontinuity on my first read and it has annoyed me like a seed caught in my teeth ever since. I'm certainly no author, but the sneakers were evidently of some importance since they are mentioned again twice, during Jack's trip through the air shaft.

BTW, if it is of any help, you can get just about any kind of footwear, including sneakers, anymore with steel or Kevlar/carbon fiber safety toes. If I were desirous of kicking the snot out of someone, boots would certainly be my first choice, but I imagine my steel-toed shoe packs (I work in Alaska) or my safety-toed "sneaks" (we DO have summer) wouldn't feel particularly good, either.

Amazon Jack - cobalt - 02-04-2006

Big Grin
Maggers Wrote:I thought "The Long Way Home" was perfect. Just enough to get you frantic and keep you thinking.

I thought the length was perfect as well, but FPW may expand this into a full length book? Oh boy................something else to franticly wait for.

Amazon Jack - Maggers - 02-04-2006

hipshot49 Wrote:...
My question is this. How did Jack's "steel-toed work boots" [Line 4; Page 3] magically transform into "his sneakers whispering along" [Line 19; Page 4]? ....

This has come up before...

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4126

Take a peek.