RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brokeback Mountain - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brokeback Mountain (/thread-1372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-18-2006

Marc B. Wrote:You're thinking of Apocalypto.

That's the one! I've seen the trailer and it has me intrigued. I've always liked that era in the Americas.

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - Marc - 01-18-2006

KRW Wrote:Serinity gets my vote. And no, I won't bet on it! Big Grin

Although it should be nominated!

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-18-2006

Marc B. Wrote:Although it should be nominated!

I agree, but I don't feel like I've watched enough movies this year to not be biased in my choice. I'll definatley use all my clout to help it get a nomination! Wink

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - jimbow8 - 01-19-2006

KRW Wrote:I agree, but I don't feel like I've watched enough movies this year to not be biased in my choice. I'll definatley use all my clout to help it get a nomination! Wink

KRW
I just bought and watched Serenity last week. I think it is a GREAT movie, but I think much of that is due to the context provided by the series. As a stand-alone movie (which is how it must be judged for an award, IMO), I don't know if it is good enough for an award. Maybe they'll come up with a new category: "Best Film by Joss Whedon based on a cancelled television series." :p

fpw Wrote:Anyone remember the uproar among the Hollywood elite about[SIZE=3]The Passion of the Christ? I can't recall that much naked hostility directed at any other film. They threw everything the had against it, including anti-Semitism. (Remember all the talk from the elite pundits -- Frank Rich in the lead -- about the tsunami of anti-Semitism it would kick off?)

I can't say a thing about the movie itself because I haven't seen it and can't imagine that I ever will, but if it caused a rise in anti-Semitism, I must have missed it.[/SIZE]
My "they" was not referring to anyone outside of this board.

Brokeback Mountain - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 01-19-2006

fpw Wrote:Anyone remember the uproar among the Hollywood elite about[SIZE=3]The Passion of the Christ? I can't recall that much naked hostility directed at any other film. They threw everything the had against it, including anti-Semitism. (Remember all the talk from the elite pundits -- Frank Rich in the lead -- about the tsunami of anti-Semitism it would kick off?)

I can't say a thing about the movie itself because I haven't seen it and can't imagine that I ever will, but if it caused a rise in anti-Semitism, I must have missed it.[/SIZE]

Sure I recall. What the self-absorbed Holywood elite have forgotten, or never knew, is that Anti-Semitism is a non-issue in this country. I put off going to the flick. Seeing a good man tortured to death isn't my idea of fun. But a friend, a devout Christian lady, =insisted= I see it. Anything for a friend, right? So Sarah and I went to see it. (She, for the fourth time.) I did not imagine how intense it would be. When the credits rolled, half the audience was weeping. (By rough count--I looked around to see people's reactions.) The elderly black gentleman next to me reached for my hand and grasped it really hard. "Lord Jesus," he said to me. "That's our Precious Lord." Any film evoking that kind of response is a must-see.

Brokeback Mountain - Tony H - 01-19-2006

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:"Lord Jesus," he said to me. "That's our Precious Lord."

Maybe it was the dark theater, or maybe his vision was poor...but you did the right thing by not telling him you weren't Jesus.

Brokeback Mountain - Marc - 01-19-2006

AsMoral Wrote:Maybe it was the dark theater, or maybe his vision was poor...but you did the right thing by not telling him you weren't Jesus.

Oh my Lord that's funny!

Speaking of The Passion of the Christ, but I personally think anyone who thinks this is a good film needs to be in therapy. There is no story in this film... it's 120 minutes of some guy with poor digital color corrected brown eyes being tortured.

Yeah... Mel Gibson really raked in the cash from masochists.

Brokeback Mountain - NewYorkjoe - 01-19-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:I submit that you would merely be hard-pressed to find cowboys back THEN who ADMITTED to it. To claim that NONE were gay is being, as you would say, "naive."

I said "you would be hard-pressed." I did not say it would be impossible. May I suggest an online course from University of Phoenix called "Reading with Comprehension?"

Back then, men were more likely to deny what was termed "unnatural tendencies," and drink or womanize to sublimate them. That might not be a healthy course, but it made them more socially acceptable during that time period. Of course, this was before Fire Island, Greenwich Village, and Key West.

;-)
NewYorkjoe

NewYorkjoe Wrote:I said "you would be hard-pressed." I did not say it would be impossible. May I suggest an online course from University of Phoenix called "Reading with Comprehension"?

Back then, men were more likely to deny what was termed "unnatural tendencies," and drink or womanize to sublimate them. That might not be a healthy course, but it made them more socially acceptable during that time period. Of course, this was before Fire Island, Greenwich Village, and Key West.

;-)
NewYorkjoe
And I did not deny it. I merely indicated that if there were "gay cowboys" that they would be even less open about it than they are now, which might contribute to why you would be "hard-pressed" to find them.

Perhaps we could take the online course together?!?! Big Grin