RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brokeback Mountain - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brokeback Mountain (/thread-1372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:That is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen posted on this board. How can you "intelligently discuss" something about which you have no ken? What you are discussing is not the movie but rather your strongly held feelings, opinions and fear of male homosexuality.

Granted threads on this board have gone astray; it is often fun to pull a thread and watch it unravel as it moves from thought to tangential thought. "Brokeback Mountain" does have as its basis a loving relationship between two men, so if one is afraid of such a love, then I guess you can say that discussing your fears and dislike of male homosexuality is somewhat related to the movie.

Just do not say that you can intelligently discuss the movie.

He said "subject matter", not "movie". That can be discussed intelligently, and with humour. Why do you feel that if someone does not like the subject matter that they have a fear of homosexuality. I would consider that an insinuation that we are homophobes. I find the word homophobe inaccurate anyways. A phobia is an irrational fear. What's irrational about a strait guy not liking this subject matter? Nothing. Wink

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - t4terrific - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:That is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever seen posted on this board. How can you "intelligently discuss" something about which you have no ken? What you are discussing is not the movie but rather your strongly held feelings, opinions and fear of male homosexuality.

Granted threads on this board have gone astray; it is often fun to pull a thread and watch it unravel as it moves from thought to tangential thought. "Brokeback Mountain" does have as its basis a loving relationship between two men, so if one is afraid of such a love, then I guess you can say that discussing your fears and dislike of male homosexuality is somewhat related to the movie.

Just do not say that you can intelligently discuss the movie.

You quoted my line. I did not say I can intelligently discuss the movie. You quoted my line. Read it. I said I couldn intelligently discuss the subject matter. That is easy. You've described the subject matter. You don't have to have served in WWII to be able to intelligently discuss the war.

I also don't think you have to be afraid of homosexuallity to be grossed out by the thought of two men being physically intimate with each other. Many insecure women like to throw around terms like "afraid" to try to rile guys. I think it's silly psychobabble. I'm afraid of falling from high places. I'm afraid of someone breaking into my house while I'm on the toilet. I'm afraid of not being able to walk when I'm 60. I can not think of one aspect of homosexuallity that would strike fear though. Most of the stereotypes of homosexuallity would actually invoke the opposite reaction.

Marc B. Wrote:You're right, it hasn't and yes, in this instance, I think you should. Going from a discussion of a film to hateful messages about gays is inappropriate.

So I mispelled a word.

No you didn't but you did write, "I just don't want him to be offended if I am visibly disghusted if I see him kissing another man" which construes a hateful message.

By the way, you spelled "disgusted" wrong. Wink

You actually lost me on this one. How does it related?

There shouldn't be a mandate and, again, you're right that very few threads here stay on topic of the original message. But let's say someone logs on and sees a "Brokeback Mountain" thread and opens it and sees it's a review. This person thinks the thread is all about the movie and then, on page 6 or so, sees the tasteless and intentionally hurtful lyrics (which you didn't post, I'll give you that), what are they going to think? Here they had the intention of reading what as perceived to be a friendly conversation that turns mean.

All I'm saying is, as posters, we have a responsibility to try and keep things civil and clean and when we see something that becomes hateful and personal then we have a responsibility to act.

I don't think I've said anything dirty yet.

jimbow8 Wrote:I can't believe that YOU, of all people, are correcting someones spelling!!!

Now THAT is the only funny thing I have seen you post on this thread.

[Image: z7shysterical.gif]

It isn't a matter of spelling, but a matter of definitions. "vial" and "vile" have two different meanings.

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-16-2006

Marc B. Wrote:There shouldn't be a mandate and, again, you're right that very few threads here stay on topic of the original message. But let's say someone logs on and sees a "Brokeback Mountain" thread and opens it and sees it's a review. This person thinks the thread is all about the movie and then, on page 6 or so, sees the tasteless and intentionally hurtful lyrics (which you didn't post, I'll give you that), what are they going to think? Here they had the intention of reading what as perceived to be a friendly conversation that turns mean.

All I'm saying is, as posters, we have a responsibility to try and keep things civil and clean and when we see something that becomes hateful and personal then we have a responsibility to act.

You should see the Brokeback thread on the Clint Eastwood board! Hoowwee!!! Those boys take cowboys seriously! Big Grin I wonder if their is a discussion out there about Brokeback that hasn't turned out like this?

KRW

NewYorkjoe Wrote:but if the Hollywood gay community takes an American icon like the cowboy and twists it to portray their own message . . .

Believe me it is intentional and with an agenda.

jimbow8 Wrote:I can't believe that YOU, of all people, are correcting someones spelling!!!

Now THAT is the only funny thing I have seen you post on this thread.

[Image: z7shysterical.gif]

The funniest thing might be YOU discussing the difference between right and wrong.

Maggers Wrote:I don't see one film as having the power to brainwash an entire country. I don't know what could. I do see the power of one voice making people think in a way that perhaps they otherwise would not about a topic they would ordinarily eschew.

You mean like creating a tv series to get Hillary Clinton over as a good presidential candidate?

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:...Many insecure women like to throw around terms like "afraid" ....
Inferring something here, Tom?

Quote:I'm afraid of someone breaking into my house while I'm on the toilet.

Only while on the toilet? I'm impressed and curious....

Quote:I can not think of one aspect of homosexuallity that would strike fear .... Most of the stereotypes of homosexuallity would actually invoke the opposite reaction.
Hmm..the opposite of fear...So you look upon homosexuality with courage and bravery?

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:You mean like creating a tv series to get Hillary Clinton over as a good presidential candidate?

Huh? H. Clinton?