RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brokeback Mountain - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brokeback Mountain (/thread-1372.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Brokeback Mountain - Maggers - 01-16-2006

NewYorkjoe Wrote:It's not a poem, it's a song.... Get it?
Gee, and I thought lyrics for a song were a form of poetry. Silly me. Let's ask Bluesman Mike about his lyrics. They seem mighty poetic to me.

Quote:I'm tired of the Hollywood elite trying to brainwash this country!
I don't see one film as having the power to brainwash an entire country. I don't know what could. I do see the power of one voice making people think in a way that perhaps they otherwise would not about a topic they would ordinarily eschew.

Brokeback Mountain - Marc - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:That's never happened in the history of this forum. I've merely discussed the subject matter of the film from the origional post. I do not have to see the film to intelligently discuss the subject matter.

You're right, it hasn't and yes, in this instance, I think you should. Going from a discussion of a film to hateful messages about gays is inappropriate.

Quote:I never use the word "vial". Maybe "vile", but I don't remember using it either.

So I mispelled a word.

Quote:I never write lyrics or poems either.

No you didn't but you did write, "I just don't want him to be offended if I am visibly disghusted if I see him kissing another man" which construes a hateful message.

By the way, you spelled "disgusted" wrong. Wink

Quote:Should I say you are a terrible film maker because most indy films suck?

You actually lost me on this one. How does it related?

Quote:So until FPW creates a mandate saying that "all threads must remain specifically on topic, and all other conversation, although closely related to the subject matter of the origional post, must be taken elsewhere", then I think you are wrong.

There shouldn't be a mandate and, again, you're right that very few threads here stay on topic of the original message. But let's say someone logs on and sees a "Brokeback Mountain" thread and opens it and sees it's a review. This person thinks the thread is all about the movie and then, on page 6 or so, sees the tasteless and intentionally hurtful lyrics (which you didn't post, I'll give you that), what are they going to think? Here they had the intention of reading what as perceived to be a friendly conversation that turns mean.

All I'm saying is, as posters, we have a responsibility to try and keep things civil and clean and when we see something that becomes hateful and personal then we have a responsibility to act.

Brokeback Mountain - Tony H - 01-16-2006

NewYorkjoe Wrote:Just don't give up that day job just yet. You sure lost the rhythm on the third and last lines.

I know. lol, I have never been a lyricist. That and I was writing it AT my day job.

Brokeback Mountain - jimbow8 - 01-16-2006

t4terrific Wrote:I never use the word "vial". Maybe "vile",
I can't believe that YOU, of all people, are correcting someones spelling!!!

Now THAT is the only funny thing I have seen you post on this thread.

[Image: z7shysterical.gif]

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-16-2006

Marc B. Wrote:I think the point of Paige's comment was that if people were going to start debating homosexuality and/or discuss how they find the practice "vial" (I just don't want him to be offended if I am visibly disghusted if I see him kissing another man.) or start posting tasteless lyrics then it should be moved to a new thread. This thread is about the film so if you've not seen the film and post this crap you obviously want to intentionally try and rile people. If that is your intention then please move it to a new thread.

And if we have seen the film and post this crap, is that differant? Wink

KRW

Brokeback Mountain - KRW - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:Tony,
Your review was thoughtful and well done. I agree on several points and disagree on some.

Disagree:
Anne Hathaway - I thought she was the weakest performance in the film, especially as she aged. She was stiff and clearly acting. It annoys me to no end to see acting on film.

Jake Gyllenhaal - Disappointing performance. Not awful but as not as good as it should have been. I've seen him do better.

Agree:
Heath Ledger - Now his was a stellar performance, understated yet deep, graceful yet rough, uneducated yet totally knowing. I forgot he was Heath Ledger, and that's the point of acting, IMO.

Ang Lee - You captured his strengths as a director. I thoroughly enjoy watching all of his movies. As you said, he can do no wrong in using the scenery and backgrounds of his scenes to such an extent that they become another character in the film.

Michelle Williams - Lovely performance in a role that could have been overlooked or underwritten.

Because of the lush beauty of the film, the overwhelming depth and breadth of the great wild west, it's a hard movie to forget. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of the story that I took with me, other than the basic unrequited love and harshness of being a member of the most hated minority on the planet. It's Ang Lee's singular images that have played in my mind like beautiful snapshots of a bittersweet vacation.

I agree, Tony always writes a great review. He even made this one sound good!

KRW

KRW Wrote:And if we have seen the film and post this crap, is that differant? Wink

Touche. Smile

jimbow8 Wrote:I can't believe that YOU, of all people, are correcting someones spelling!!!

It's "someone's" Jimbo. :p

Figured you'd rather here it from a friend.

Brokeback Mountain - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 01-16-2006

Maggers Wrote:Gee, and I thought lyrics for a song were a form of poetry. Silly me. Let's ask Bluesman Mike about his lyrics. They seem mighty poetic to me.

I don't see one film as having the power to brainwash an entire country. I don't know what could. I do see the power of one voice making people think in a way that perhaps they otherwise would not about a topic they would ordinarily eschew.

Thank you, Maggers. I did try to be a poet when I was 17, but found out soon enough you can't buy, in the good old USA,what's necessary for poetry. Absinthe, o'course. But it hurts my heart to see the gang going at it so cruelly on this thread. Let me put down some words I wrote back when I was 17, and trying to be a poet:

Let's not be mean
Hearts are too precious to break
Let's kiss and make up
And have another round
For Jesus' sake

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Let me put down some words I wrote back when I was 17, and trying to be a poet:

Let's not be mean
Hearts are too precious to break
Let's kiss and make up
And have another round
For Jesus' sake

You're in the wrong thread, dammit! Go to the Haiku thread! Wink

(And I'm kidding of course.)