RepairmanJack.com Forums
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (/thread-38.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - jimbow8 - 03-24-2004

Last night I watched the the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame show that was on VH1 the other night. I wouldn't normally watch it (and don't currently have cable), but a friend of mine insisted. For any big rock and roll fans I have to recommend watching it if (when) VH1 rebroadcasts it. The induction speech by Bruce Springsteen for Jackson Browne is incredible. Humorous, nostalgic, gracious, etc. And Jackson Browne's acceptance speech is pretty darn good too. I was even impressed by Prince, who I am normally not a big fan of. Other bright spots: Tom Petty/Jeff Lynne inducting and tribute of George Harrison (for solo work), ZZ Top (inducted by a "feelin'-good" Keith Richards). Low points: Alicia Keyes induction speech for Prince, Dave Matthews' incoherent rambling, Bob Seger's not-so-good performance.

Anyway, check it out, at least for the Springsteen/Browne part.

(Interesting fact: George Harrison (My favorite Beatle by far) was the first ex-Beatle to have a #1 album)

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - fpw - 03-29-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:(Interesting fact: George Harrison (My favorite Beatle by far) was the first ex-Beatle to have a #1 album)

Did you see Concert for George? Except for a lackluster preformance by Tom Petty (on "Taxman," of all things - my favorite Harrison song), it was superb. And the finale, an ensemble rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Clapton, McCartney, Starr, etc., was amazing. It's on disk. Check it out.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 03-29-2004

That's right, Jimbow!--ALL THINGS MUST PASS. A good album that would have been a =great= album if pared down to 1 LP (remember those?) (And can the boring jams sides, George--I'll be yer friend if you do.) Let's see...what was the 2nd ex-Beatle album to hit #1? IMAGINE? As I recall, MCCARTNEY was held from the top spot by LET IT BE. I don't think RAM made #1, although the single "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" did on some charts.
Another piece of Beatles trivia--George is credited with the first Fabs' solo album with ELECTRONIC SOUND. But I'd have to give honors to Macca for the THE FAMILY WAY soundtrack. Hey, who sez rock and roll guys can't be pedantic? I mean, like, =who=?
Me, I'm a Lennon man, meself.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - jimbow8 - 03-30-2004

Actually, I'm not much of a Beatles fan. But I do like George (I like most of their solo stuff more). Give me Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones over the Beatles any day.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-02-2004

Jimbo, I'll say this--Pete Townshend was a better songwriter, in his prime, than either Jagger/Richards or Plant/Page. No? Well, sir...I'll meet you in Monument Valley at dawn. Weapons? A guitar and a pen. Bring your drummer...if you have one in your band who can stand up for you, sir. Big Grin

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - fpw - 04-02-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Pete Townshend was a better songwriter, in his prime, than either Jagger/Richards or Plant/Page.

No argument from this quarter. The sly wink of the stutter in "My Generation" and the most down-and-dirty, eyes-wide-open political song ever: "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - jimbow8 - 04-02-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Jimbo, I'll say this--Pete Townshend was a better songwriter, in his prime, than either Jagger/Richards or Plant/Page. No? Well, sir...I'll meet you in Monument Valley at dawn. Weapons? A guitar and a pen. Bring your drummer...if you have one in your band who can stand up for you, sir. Big Grin
I won't argue you on that point, but Led Zeppelin had better musicians than anyone in the Who. Don't get me wrong, I like the Who, but Keith Moon often couldn't keep time all the way through a song.

fpw Wrote:No argument from this quarter. The sly wink of the stutter in "My Generation" and the most down-and-dirty, eyes-wide-open political song ever: "Won't Get Fooled Again."
I hope no fan of the mod foursome will think ill of me if I confide that I like much of Pete's solo work--"Slit Skirts," "Pavardigar," "And All Shall Be Well," "Now and Then," among many others--quite as much as I appreciate the Who's own classic tracks. (Yeah right, Blues..how about RIPPED SHIRTS, RIPPED SHIRTS, JEANNIE NEVER WEARS NO SLIT SKIRTS, SLIT SKIRTS, SHE WON'T BE SEEN IN NO SLIT SKIRT, SLIT SKIRT, CAN'T PRETEND THAT GROWING OLDER NEVER HURTS--=that's= rock and roll. Not Dave Marsh's corny horseshit...)

jimbow8 Wrote:I won't argue you on that point, but Led Zeppelin had better musicians than anyone in the Who. Don't get me wrong, I like the Who, but Keith Moon often couldn't keep time all the way through a song.
I think we're pretty much in agreement, Jimbow. I don't believe either of us is arguing against fine rock and roll. But consider how much the Who and Zep had in common: 1) a pretty-boy lead singer, 2) an extraordinary bassist who doubled on other instruments, 3) an innovative guitar man, and 4) a spectacular drummer who's excesses put him down =long= before necessary. But I'm a lyric fella myself. That's what I've contributed to the onstage guys and gals I've worked with through the years. And I consider Pete's lyrics, in their way--certainly in their unblinking honesty--as good as Dylan's. And Dylan is the MASTER. Try as I may, I can't see Robert Plant writing something as simple and insightful as, "Now and then/you see a soul/and you fall in love/you can't do a thing about it." And I'm not denegrating Plant's talents for a second. I just don't think he and Pete work on the same plane. No diss--after a lotta years, I don't (sob) either. (Hey--I'm trying hard, though--why, just this week, I found two new rhymes for "orange!") But Jimbow--what songs didn't Keith keep solid time through?

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - jimbow8 - 04-02-2004

I think Zep and the Who have a lot in common, I just have always liked Zep a lot more. Mainly because I like Bonham's "power drumming" style and the way Bonham isn't just there to keep tempo (like most drummers) but is actually a contributor. I also have a TON of respect for the fact that Zep called it quits when Bonzo died. I think that was a totally classy thing to do and a show of respect to Bonzo. There could not be a Led Zeppelin without him.

As for the song(s) which Keith Moon is off time, I honestly forget. It is one of their more popular songs like You Better, You Bet or Who Are You. One of my roomies in college was a drummer who pointed it out to me. I think he at one point programmed a drum machine to keep time in order to gauge the changes in Moon's drumming throughout the song. I was always kind of amused by it.