RepairmanJack.com Forums
Let Me Get This Straight... - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Let Me Get This Straight... (/thread-2617.html)

Pages: 1 2

Let Me Get This Straight... - palsunstar - 12-08-2007

Huge fan of F. Paul Wilson's Adversary Cycle/Repairman Jack stories...I have them all in paperback form.

That said, I'm a little peeved about the availability (or lack thereof) of the re-written/re-telling of the Adversary Cycle.

You have to be a wealthy person to read these stories ($60.00 a pop?) as they will apparently NOT be released in affordable paperback form until after the final Repairman Jack story is written...and this is unknown at this particular time.

From what I understand, the MAIN reason for this is to avoid conflicts with the final story, Nightworld.

If this is the case, why not release all of the other novels of the Adversary Cycle in paperback & hold off on Nightworld...it would be a lot less painful to wait on one book as opposed to six books.

Being on a very limited budget, there is no way I will ever be able to afford to purchase six hardcover limited editions at $60.00 each.

I know that I'm not alone in this & frankly I'm very disappointed.

Of course, maybe I missed something somewhere around here (believe me, I've searched) that will lead me to believe that there's a light at the end of the tunnel (preferably a short tunnel as opposed to a tunnel with an end that cannot be seen).

~Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.

Let Me Get This Straight... - phoenix rising - 12-08-2007

Go to amazon they have copies of the books in paperback at fairly reasonable prices.

Let Me Get This Straight... - mkmfpwfan - 12-08-2007

Have you checked around the used books stores in your area? I have picked up two in the series in the last two weeks for less than 3 bucks a pop. Keri

We're talking about the revised editions in paperback?

I do see, in the works section of the Repairman Jack site "Mass Market" editions of both The Keep & The Tomb, but I hesitate because I know that F. Paul Wilson's Borderlands edition of The Tomb is now under the intended title of Rakoshi. Can I ass-u-me that the "Mass Market" edition of The Tomb (the cover says, "Author's Definitive Edition") contains the exact same contents as the Borderland's edition of Rakoshi?

And what about The Keep? Same contents as the Borderlands edition?

Let Me Get This Straight... - ccosborne3 - 12-08-2007

None of the revised editions are available in paperback. You can sometimes find them on Ebay for cheap bucks. I tried selling a few last week at $40 each and the only one that sold was Rakoshi. I'm going to relist the others for a $1.00 starting bid with NR.

Let Me Get This Straight... - Blake - 12-08-2007

I think the biggest issue with getting the new versions printed in mass market paperback has to do with the publisher being willing to invest the money. That'll probably happen if and when the Repairman Jack movie ever gets done, but whether it'll happen anytime before that is anyone's guess.

I'm sure FPW will chime in with accurate answers, but my recollection is that the current mass-market PB of The Tomb is the latest revised version, excepting the title. I think The Keep is not the revised version, but we're mainly talking about one additional paragraph for that one.

Note that the story, for the most part, hasn't changed throughout most of the AC. The new versions mainly have some prose tightened up and some anachronisms removed to bring them into the new timeline. Nightworld has the most substantial changes, but I won't say anything more in this thread to keep things spoiler free.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about reading one of the earlier editions if that gets you by for now. With that in mind, the suggestion about used book stores is a good one. There's a decent one on Rock Blvd. in your area called Book Gallery, and Paperback Exchange is pretty good, too (located on Vesta, just off of Wells behind Rapscallion). I'm sure there are others I don't even know about yet. And for new books, the local Borders has traditionally been far better than B&N when it comes to stocking FPW's stuff, but you probably already knew that.

Blake

Let Me Get This Straight... - fpw - 12-08-2007

[SIZE="3"]I haven't read all the way through this thread but...

Yes, the new pb editions of The Keep and The Tomb are exactly the same as the Borderlands editions. I've just contracted to have Forge reissue the rest of the AC over the next few years, and these will be the Borderlands versions (with the added bonus of "Dat-Tay-Vao" appended to The Touch).[/SIZE]

Let Me Get This Straight... - Blake - 12-08-2007

fpw Wrote:I haven't read all the way through this thread but...

Yes, the new pb editions of The Keep and The Tomb are exactly the same as the Borderlands editions. I've just contracted to have Forge reissue the rest of the AC over the next few years, and these will be the Borderlands versions (with the added bonus of "Dat-Tay-Vao" appended to The Touch).

And now that you mention it, I think you wrote about all that in the newsletter. I had a brain fade there.

Blake

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I haven't read all the way through this thread but...

Yes, the new pb editions of The Keep and The Tomb are exactly the same as the Borderlands editions. I've just contracted to have Forge reissue the rest of the AC over the next few years, and these will be the Borderlands versions (with the added bonus of "Dat-Tay-Vao" appended to The Touch).[/SIZE]

Good news, indeed! Thanks for the wake-up call!

Blake mentions that you may have mentioned this in a newsletter (I subscribed to this a few days ago)...is there an archive for your newsletters? I can't seem to find it around here.

Let Me Get This Straight... - fpw - 12-09-2007

palsunstar Wrote:Blake mentions that you may have mentioned this in a newsletter (I subscribed to this a few days ago)...is there an archive for your newsletters? I can't seem to find it around here.

[SIZE="3"]"My So-called Life" ( http://www.repairmanjack.com/aboutfpw.htm#mylife ) is a collection of diary-like entries culled from the newsletter. If you read the newsletter, there's nothing new here.[/SIZE]