RepairmanJack.com Forums
Open Range - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Open Range (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2

Open Range - Kenji - 07-16-2004

Finally, Open range released in Japan, and I saw it in theater.

It was pretty good. Kevin Costner and Robert DuVall, this two guys were amazing. Last gun fight sequences were great, thrilling, and powerful. Recently, western movies dwindled. I hope this is not last western movie. I'm waiting for Alamo's release in Japan.

BTW, funny thing, this movie's Japanese title is Wild Range. What do you think about this title? Wild or Open........ :confused:

Open Range - Sam - 07-16-2004

I've never understood why titles are changed in other countries. I can understand if a word or phrase is considered offensive to a culture, has no meaning, or used differently. Anybody out there know why?? :confused:
BTW, Kenji...are American movies dubbed with Japanese voices or just given subtitles??

Open Range - Ken Valentine - 07-16-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Finally, Open range released in Japan, and I saw it in theater.

It was pretty good. Kevin Costner and Robert DuVall, this two guys were amazing. Last gun fight sequences were great, thrilling, and powerful. Recently, western movies dwindled. I hope this is not last western movie. I'm waiting for Alamo's release in Japan.

BTW, funny thing, this movie's Japanese title is Wild Range. What do you think about this title? Wild or Open........ :confused:

Originally, the prairie was open to anyone who wanted to graze their cattle. Later, people came in and closed the range with barbed wire fences.

Open Range versus Closed Range.

"Open" is more accurate, but "Wild" will probably sell more tickets. Big Grin

It's perhaps the best -- and most historically accurate -- Western I have ever seen.
The only flaw I noticed was when Kevin Costner fired nine shots from his six-shooter. Big Grin

Great movie!

Ken V.

P.S. The popularity of Cowboy Action shooting competition in the U.S. has made it possible for movie producers to easily find reproductions of correct period firearms. (Clothing as well.)

Charlie Waite, (Kevin Costner) fired a Colt model 1873 pistol and a Winchester model 1873 rifle.

Boss Spearman (Robert Duval) carried a Remington model 1875 pistol, a Winchester 1873 rifle, and a mule-ear shotgun of undetermined make.

Percy (Michael Jeeter) Used a Winchester model 1866 "Yellow Boy" rifle.

Contrast this with the John Wayne movie, THE COMMANCHERO'S, which takes place in 1848. Wayne's pistol was first produced in 1873, his rifle in 1892, and he was "trading" Winchester model 1894 rifles made to look like 1860 Henry's.

I hope westerns are making a come-back . . . especially if they are as accurate as Open Range.

Sam Wrote:I've never understood why titles are changed in other countries. I can understand if a word or phrase is considered offensive to a culture, has no meaning, or used differently. Anybody out there know why?? :confused:

Yeah....actually, I don't know why. :p But not only this movie. For example about recent movies...

Runnaway Jury.....New Orleans trial
Out of Time....Time limit
Intolerable Cruelty.....Divorce show
The Human Stain.....Shiroi Karasu (White Crow)
One hour photo......Stalker
Italian Job.....Mini mini operations
Final Destination2.....Dead Coaster
The League of extraordinary gentlemen......The League of Legend
Trapped....Call
The man who wasn't there.....Barber(I think this is wost)
Don't say a word....Sound of silence
Kate & Leopold.....Lovers in New York
Monster's Ball......Chocolate(I think this is wost)
Bad Company......9 days

etc, etc.....what do you think?

Quote:BTW, Kenji...are American movies dubbed with Japanese voices or just given subtitles??

For example, animation movies(Disney or CG animation) are dubbed version and subtitles version. After all, daytime is dubbed version, and night is subtitles version. And serious drama or action movies are given subtitles. Of course, I prefer subtitles version. Wink

[QUOTE=Ken Valentine]Originally, the prairie was open to anyone who wanted to graze their cattle. Later, people came in and closed the range with barbed wire fences.

Open Range versus Closed Range.

[QUOTE]"Open" is more accurate, but "Wild" will probably sell more tickets. Big Grin [/QUOTE]

I think it's true... Wink

[QUOTE]It's perhaps the best -- and most historically accurate -- Western I have ever seen.
The only flaw I noticed was when Kevin Costner fired nine shots from his six-shooter. Big Grin

Great movie!

Ken V.[/QUOTE]

From nine shots from six-shooter?.......I failed to notice!

[QUOTE]P.S. The popularity of Cowboy Action shooting competition in the U.S. has made it possible for movie producers to easily find reproductions of correct period firearms. (Clothing as well.)

Charlie Waite, (Kevin Costner) fired a Colt model 1873 pistol and a Winchester model 1873 rifle.

Boss Spearman (Robert Duval) carried a Remington model 1875 pistol, a Winchester 1873 rifle, and a mule-ear shotgun of undetermined make.

Percy (Michael Jeeter) Used a Winchester model 1866 "Yellow Boy" rifle.

Contrast this with the John Wayne movie, THE COMMANCHERO'S, which takes place in 1848. Wayne's pistol was first produced in 1873, his rifle in 1892, and he was "trading" Winchester model 1894 rifles made to look like 1860 Henry's.

I hope westerns are making a come-back . . . especially if they are as accurate as Open Range.[/QUOTE]

I think you should appearance in western movie. Big Grin

Open Range - Ken Valentine - 07-17-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:From nine shots from six-shooter?.......I failed to notice!

I count my shots, so I ALWAYS notice things like that. Big Grin

Quote:I think you should appearance in western movie. Big Grin

That would be fun! Cool

Someday, when I get my costume finished, I may sign up as an extra.

Ken V.

Open Range - Richard Kendrick - 07-17-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:Someday, when I get my costume finished, I may sign up as an extra.

I was in a couple of movies Ken. Not Westerns though, but it was a lot of fun. I was in a bad, made for TV movie that starred Eric Roberts called "Dark Angel". I was only in it briefly.

I was also in (I know your all going to be looking for me in this one) "Interview With The Vampire" I'm in two scenes and I was edited out of a third but I was referred to in the dialog. I played a pimp (hahaha) in the early part of the movie. As soon as the movie takes us to the past in New Orleans. I am on the balcony. I am in the scene the first time we see Tom Cruise's character. Right as the camera pans up the stairs past his hands and the slaves. I'm the guy in the purple coat ( I think it was purple) with long hair drinking wine (grape juice). They refer to me just after this scene when Brad Pitt's character is walking with the prostitute. I had been in a scene where they leave the saloon and a girl and I come out the door behind him. The sun was coming up when this was being shot so I guess it was no good. Who knows? Anyway, Pitt's line is something like, "I would have given my life to the whore at my side, or the pimp that followed." That was me. Big Grin

RIK (Who never had a chance to mention this before now... He's cool. Maybe he could play Jack?)

Open Range - Sam - 07-17-2004

So RIK, you're a Rhoads fan, eh? Where do you imagine he would be if still alive? Would like to get my hands on the music he was writing before he died. I wouldn't be able to play it I'm sure but I'd damn well try. Ever been to Musonia and meet his mom? I'd love to visit his grave and pay my respects but I'll never be able to do that. Best of luck with your music!!

Open Range - Ken Valentine - 07-18-2004

Richard Kendrick Wrote:I was in a couple of movies Ken. Not Westerns though, but it was a lot of fun. I was in a bad, made for TV movie that starred Eric Roberts called "Dark Angel". I was only in it briefly.

I was also in (I know your all going to be looking for me in this one) "Interview With The Vampire" I'm in two scenes and I was edited out of a third but I was referred to in the dialog. I played a pimp (hahaha) in the early part of the movie. As soon as the movie takes us to the past in New Orleans. I am on the balcony. I am in the scene the first time we see Tom Cruise's character. Right as the camera pans up the stairs past his hands and the slaves. I'm the guy in the purple coat ( I think it was purple) with long hair drinking wine (grape juice). They refer to me just after this scene when Brad Pitt's character is walking with the prostitute. I had been in a scene where they leave the saloon and a girl and I come out the door behind him. The sun was coming up when this was being shot so I guess it was no good. Who knows? Anyway, Pitt's line is something like, "I would have given my life to the whore at my side, or the pimp that followed." That was me. Big Grin

RIK (Who never had a chance to mention this before now... He's cool. Maybe he could play Jack?)

Sounds like lots of fun.

The "costume" I was referring to is some pretty elaborate American Indian beadwork.

Although I haven't been able to touch it for the last three years, I'm nearly three quarters of the way toward finishing a fully beaded vest. Arapaho design. The beads are sewn directly to the leather, and when it's done, it will weigh about five or six pounds and have more than 200,000 beads on it. Not to mention beaded hat bands, knife sheaths, rifle scabbards, and so on. All in the original colors.

One of those situations where the costume would be noticeable . . . but not me. Big Grin

(Of course, I could brush up on my American Indian sign language.) Big Grin

Ken V.

Open Range - nonsun blob a - 07-19-2004

[QUOTE=Ken Valentine]Originally, the prairie was open to anyone who wanted to graze their cattle. Later, people came in and closed the range with barbed wire fences.

hahaha
ps i think wild range is better sounding than open, just because "wild range" isn't something you hear in daily conversation
and, being from massachusetts, "open range" is.