RepairmanJack.com Forums
Derailed - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Derailed (/thread-1879.html)

Pages: 1 2

Derailed - Medusa - 09-12-2006

I just saw this for the first time on Starz tonight. I don't remember ever hearing about this at the theaters. I thought it was an awesome movie. Very violent but it had a very cool twist. Stars Clive Owen - hmm he wouldn't be a bad "Jack"!

Derailed - acfrogg - 09-13-2006

I liked the movie too. It got horrible reviews and I don't understand why. I thought it was well acted and it definately suprised me.

Derailed - Maggers - 09-13-2006

I agree. The movie was a sleeper and underated. I recommend it. I did figure some things out, but all in all, definitely worth renting.

Derailed - GeraldRice - 09-13-2006

I thought it was rated just right. It wasn't a great movie- I imagine I'd enjoy it a lot more on satellite. Seeing Jennifer Anniston's sour puss for 90 minutes is a bummer.

Clive Owen would be a terrible Jack. Too noticeable.

Derailed - jimbow8 - 09-18-2006

I must have a free Starz weekend or something... so I checked this movie out. I didn't like it. The first things that put me off were the train ride. This movie takes place around Chicago, so they (supposedly) ride the Metra. Metra cars don't look anything like that. They aren't bad, but they're nowhere near as nice and sterile as in the movie. Then when they got into Union Station, announcements were heard about the "Red Line" arriving and/or departing. There is no Red Line on Metra. Red Line refers to the El which doesn't go to Union Station which is not depicted in the movie.

I know its minor, but it's stupid, and there is no reason for it. It's an easily fixable error.

But aside from that I didn't like the movie much anyway. I could tell from the beginning that Aniston was up to no good and it wasn't too long before I pieced it together and figured out how she was involved. The acting was really bland. I don't know if it was supposed to be in order to convey that they were everyday boring people or what. But it left me uninterested able to ruminate about the obvious foreshadowing of the plot.

Derailed - Sigokat - 09-18-2006

Is this the movie with Jean Claude Van Damme?

sigokat Wrote:Is this the movie with Jean Claude Van Damme?
No, this is a fairly recent movie with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston.

Derailed

jimbow8 Wrote:No, this is a fairly recent movie with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston.

Oh. Well that just shows how much I'm out of the loop. We do get some recent movies here at the makeshift movie theater (I acutally just got back from seeing The Covenant) but not all of them obviously.

jimbow,

Even though I haven't seen the movie I will say that, being from Chicago as well, those little errors probably would have annoyed me as well. I used to ride the red line/Congress from Des Plaines Ave to Racine when I was going to UIC.

Off topic: I remember going to a Grateful Dead show (last show before Jerry died) at Soldier Field with a bunch of friends and we missed the Metra back to Elmhurst because the concert lasted too long. We ended up taking the El and I tried to tell my friends that we needed to take the red line to Des Plaines Ave. Instead they listened to some drunk guy that thought we wanted to go to the city of Des Plaines. Well we ended up in Chinatown at 2 am!! Not a good place for a bunch of white kids in tie-dyed shirts to be at that time! Luckily we made it out alive, ended up back at our original starting point, and FINALLY they listened to me on which line to take. So about 3 hours later we made it home. Hell of a night fo' sho'

Ok, sorry for the hijack...back to Derailed (not the JCVD verison)Big Grin

sigokat Wrote:Oh. Well that just shows how much I'm out of the loop. We do get some recent movies here at the makeshift movie theater (I acutally just got back from seeing The Covenant) but not all of them obviously.

jimbow,

Even though I haven't seen the movie I will say that, being from Chicago as well, those little errors probably would have annoyed me as well. I used to ride the red line/Congress from Des Plaines Ave to Racine when I was going to UIC.

Off topic: I remember going to a Grateful Dead show (last show before Jerry died) at Soldier Field with a bunch of friends and we missed the Metra back to Elmhurst because the concert lasted too long. We ended up taking the El and I tried to tell my friends that we needed to take the red line to Des Plaines Ave. Instead they listened to some drunk guy that thought we wanted to go to the city of Des Plaines. Well we ended up in Chinatown at 2 am!! Not a good place for a bunch of white kids in tie-dyed shirts to be at that time! Luckily we made it out alive, ended up back at our original starting point, and FINALLY they listened to me on which line to take. So about 3 hours later we made it home. Hell of a night fo' sho'

Ok, sorry for the hijack...back to Derailed (not the JCVD verison)Big Grin
You saw the Covenant? I'm sorry; I hear that sucked. Did it?

I didn't realize that you were from Chicago. Give a holla when you get back. I'll buy you one of those Darmstadter Exports (was that it?).

I'm actually far West of Chicago (Woodstock) but I get in there every once in a while.

jimbow8 Wrote:You saw the Covenant? I'm sorry; I hear that sucked. Did it?

It was alright, but the good thing about the theater here is that the movies are free so I didn't waste any money on it. Overall it was okay, but the ending was a little bland. It seemed like a movie that was directed more at teenagers then anything else. On a side note on IMDB a lot of people were complaining about it; saying it gave Wiccans and Pagans a bad name. IMO, it didn't do any of that. It didn't even really touch the aspect of religions at all. I kept getting the kids confused because they all seem to look a like to me. Same hair styles, same voice tones...maybe I'm just getting old.

Quote:I didn't realize that you were from Chicago. Give a holla when you get back. I'll buy you one of those Darmstadter Exports (was that it?).

Yeah I'm from Elmhurst. Went to York. Darmstadter Exports are a type of beer from where I'm stationed in Germany. (Darmstadt, Germany) I don't know if you've ever been, but a lot of towns in Germany have their own breweries. I work in Darmstadt, but live in Pfungstadt which also has its own brewery, but I don't like their beer...too bitter. Darmstadter makes a bunch of different kinds...pils, radler, hiefewiezen, export, etc. The heife and the export are my favs.

Quote:I'm actually far West of Chicago (Woodstock) but I get in there every once in a while.

Big Grin When I was in high school my brother got arrested in Woodstock while camping! Had some less then legal substances on him!! Idiot. I've never been myself.

I may be back in there area in Feb/March time frame! I'll let you know! No Darmstadter Exports, but we can figure something out!

Ok...back on topic...again...(I'm pretty good at this hijacking threads thing) Smile