RepairmanJack.com Forums
Missed Connections - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Missed Connections (/thread-1725.html)

Pages: 1 2

Missed Connections - Vargas - 06-14-2006

I finished reading "INFERNAL" the other day so I'm going back and re-reading all the Jack novels in anticipation of "HARBINGERS" Had to order Legacies because I lent it out and never got it back. Anyway, I somehow missed the fact that Sandy Palmer from "HOSTS" worked for the same newspaper, The Light, as Jamie Grant from "CRISSCROSS."

I know the band Polio has made two appearances but I'm trying to think of more not so obvious connections.

Anyone have any????

Missed Connections - fpw - 06-15-2006

Vargas Wrote:I finished reading "INFERNAL" the other day so I'm going back and re-reading all the Jack novels in anticipation of "HARBINGERS" Had to order Legacies because I lent it out and never got it back. Anyway, I somehow missed the fact that Sandy Palmer from "HOSTS" worked for the same newspaper, The Light, as Jamie Grant from "CRISSCROSS."

I know the band Polio has made two appearances but I'm trying to think of more not so obvious connections.

Anyone have any????

[SIZE="3"]We used to have a thread chock full of these. Where'd it go?[/SIZE]

Missed Connections - Keith the Elder - 06-15-2006

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]We used to have a thread chock full of these. Where'd it go?[/SIZE]

I believe it's called "Compendium Collection Point"

Missed Connections - jimbow8 - 06-15-2006

fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]We used to have a thread chock full of these. Where'd it go?[/SIZE]
Yeah, I neglected to respond to this thread because I couldn't even think of the word. I remembered: COMPENDIUM.

Try this:

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164&highlight=COMPENDIUM

Who is collecting this stuff? APhew?

Missed Connections - APhew - 06-15-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:Yeah, I neglected to respond to this thread because I couldn't even think of the word. I remembered: COMPENDIUM.

Try this:

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164&highlight=COMPENDIUM

Who is collecting this stuff? APhew?

Well, FlyBoy disappeared, so I volunteered to take over when nobody else would. Then let's just say my spare time went to zilch. This would still be a great project to complete (or even start), but I think it needs to be done with a group and not a single individual. Heck, the FAQ is outdated and I haven't even got around to updating that yet. Ah life.

APhew Wrote:Well, FlyBoy disappeared, so I volunteered to take over when nobody else would. Then let's just say my spare time went to zilch. This would still be a great project to complete (or even start), but I think it needs to be done with a group and not a single individual. Heck, the FAQ is outdated and I haven't even got around to updating that yet. Ah life.
I'd volunteer, but
  1. my memory for this type of thing SUCKS
  2. I read pathetically slow, so I can't just re-read the books quickly to find stuff
  3. I have essentially no WEB expertise (I assume it was being compiled onto a website of some kind)

Beyond that, I'm willing to help out if I can.

Missed Connections - webby - 06-15-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:I'd volunteer, but
  1. my memory for this type of thing SUCKS
  2. I read pathetically slow, so I can't just re-read the books quickly to find stuff
  3. I have essentially no WEB expertise (I assume it was being compiled onto a website of some kind)

Beyond that, I'm willing to help out if I can.

Add me to the list of willing volunteers.

Is the info being compiled into a website somewhere? I looked back at the Compendium thread, which was fun but it would be a tedious and time-consuming way to gather info for a compendium. Ditto sending email to an individual.

I do have web expertise (in certain areas) and I'd like to offer a suggestion. Seems to me it would be helpful if there was a site that allowed registered users to enter the connections they find into a form that would put the info into a database. The public pages of the site could display the info from that database. Even more ambitiously, the site could be searchable based on entries in the database.

I would love to assist in development of something like that, if it already exists or sounds like a good idea to others. I notice this site uses PHP, but I'm not familiar with that. I can help a lot if a web site project uses ASP or ASP.NET.

webby Wrote:Add me to the list of willing volunteers.

Is the info being compiled into a website somewhere? I looked back at the Compendium thread, which was fun but it would be a tedious and time-consuming way to gather info for a compendium. Ditto sending email to an individual.

I do have web expertise (in certain areas) and I'd like to offer a suggestion. Seems to me it would be helpful if there was a site that allowed registered users to enter the connections they find into a form that would put the info into a database. The public pages of the site could display the info from that database. Even more ambitiously, the site could be searchable based on entries in the database.

I would love to assist in development of something like that, if it already exists or sounds like a good idea to others. I notice this site uses PHP, but I'm not familiar with that. I can help a lot if a web site project uses ASP or ASP.NET.
There's Wiki, but I don't know the intricasies of how that works.

Missed Connections - Keith the Elder - 06-15-2006

I have no Web development expertise, but I am willing to help in whatever manner I can.

Missed Connections - Scott Hajek - 06-15-2006

I think that if there was an idea for the form of the end product, it may be easier to develop a means to sort through the myriad of data. A searchable database, a cross-reference chart, a running encyclopedic entry all involve different ways of compiling the data. At least I would do things differently.

I'm more than willing to devote time to a project like this. I used to have a huge database of my comic collection with exacting detail, until the computer I was using became overwhelmed and I received an error message that said the file was too large to load. And, there was no way to backtrack. So, I gave up on that. But, discouraged as I was, I am willing to put that black day behind me and move forward embracing the technology we currently have with no file size limitations.