RepairmanJack.com Forums
Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Off-Topic: Midnight Mass (/thread-145.html)

Pages: 1 2

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Freakeden - 06-02-2004

Read it just before hitting the road to Georgia last weekend. Enjoyed it quite a bit. While in Georgia visiting friends, some of which that I had turned onto the Repairman Jack series, I was informed that Midnight Mass was a sequel to an earlier book.

Which confused me. I followed the forums almost rabidly before the big change over (which I like btw) and didn't recall a previous vampire novel that FPW did (aside from The Keep which was really a Vampire bait n' switch novel).

Now I'm wondering if my friend meant it was a sequel to a short story I missed, or something of that nature, or if he has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

Anyway, is Midnight Mass a sequel to anything? Also, FPW, have you by chance read E.E. Night's vampire series? I read Ways of the Wolf, and Choice of the Cat right before reading your Midnight Mass and the two stories complement each other amazingly, and even parallel each other such as the names given to those humans who help the vampires (Vichys in yours, and Quislings in E.E. Nights)

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - fpw - 06-02-2004

Freakeden Wrote:Anyway, is Midnight Mass a sequel to anything?

No. It's a continuation of a 1990 novelette of the same name.

Freakeden Wrote:Also, FPW, have you by chance read E.E. Night's vampire series? I read Ways of the Wolf, and Choice of the Cat right before reading your Midnight Mass and the two stories complement each other amazingly, and even parallel each other such as the names given to those humans who help the vampires (Vichys in yours, and Quislings in E.E. Nights)

No, haven't read Night, but I'll bet he read the original "Midnight Mass" novelette. It's been reprinted in various anthologies about a dozen times since 1990. I'd considered quisling as a term for the collaborators, but the "-ling" sounded diminutive. Vichy sounded better (a bit like "vicious").

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - jimbow8 - 06-02-2004

fpw Wrote:No. It's a continuation of a 1990 novelette of the same name.

No, haven't read Night, but I'll bet he read the original "Midnight Mass" novelette. It's been reprinted in various anthologies about a dozen times since 1990. I'd considered quisling as a term for the collaborators, but the "-ling" sounded diminutive. Vichy sounded better (a bit like "vicious").
I know that Vichy refered to the French who sided with the Axis in WWII (and WWI?), but where did the term actually come from? Is it a French province or something?

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Scott Miller - 06-02-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I know that Vichy refered to the French who sided with the Axis in WWII (and WWI?), but where did the term actually come from? Is it a French province or something?

I watched The Statement, an interesting movie starring Michael Caine as a former Vichy who was being hunted for his crimes against humanity. Not a great film, but worth seeing.

Isn't it amazing how often you encounter the new terms you absorb into your lexicon immediately after you absorb them?

Scott

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Freakeden - 06-02-2004

fpw Wrote:No. It's a continuation of a 1990 novelette of the same name.

Ah, gotcha. I'll have to track down the original novelette and give it a read.

Yeah, now that I know the time frame of the stories I can see that Night may have been influenced by the original Novelette. As for the Quisling being the term, I remember not really getting the reference because I was thinking it meant "a lesser form of Quis" (whatever the hell a Quis was, but I'm used to reading books where not everything is explained right off)... it wasn't until a game of Trivia Pursuit that a question came up and I remembered the origin of the term.

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Biggles - 06-02-2004

Freakeden Wrote:Yeah, now that I know the time frame of the stories I can see that Night may have been influenced by the original Novelette. As for the Quisling being the term, I remember not really getting the reference because I was thinking it meant "a lesser form of Quis" (whatever the hell a Quis was, but I'm used to reading books where not everything is explained right off)... it wasn't until a game of Trivia Pursuit that a question came up and I remembered the origin of the term.

Quisling was the actual name of a WWII traitor (Norwegian?), if I'm not mistaken. And if I am, Ken will correct me. Big Grin

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 06-05-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I know that Vichy refered to the French who sided with the Axis in WWII (and WWI?), but where did the term actually come from? Is it a French province or something?

Vichy was the capital of the French puppet government. At the end of CASABLANCA, Captain Renaud drops a bottle of Vichy water in a garbage can.

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Ken Valentine - 06-05-2004

Biggles Wrote:Quisling was the actual name of a WWII traitor (Norwegian?), if I'm not mistaken. And if I am, Ken will correct me. Big Grin

No, you're not mistaken. Vidkun Quisling was the head of a political party in Norway that was very much like the NAZI party in Germany. If I remember correctly, he claimed himself to be the "leader" of Norway after the German invasion.

Ken V.

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - nijimeijer - 06-07-2004

Midnight Mass--just picked it up for my girlfriend's birthday. She's never visited this forum before (despite being an even bigger FPW fan than myself)(which doesn't mean that I'm not a big fan)(this kind of thing is hard to get across on the author's own board)--anyway! She's never visited this board before, so I feel somewhat safe posting this in public.

Granted, it's this years "bowling ball" gift--meaning that it's as much for myself as her (if not moreso). But she'll like it, regardless. She loves FPW novels, and she loves vampire novels. COULD IT BE ANY MORE PERFECT?!

Off-Topic: Midnight Mass - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 06-07-2004

nijimeijer Wrote:Midnight Mass--just picked it up for my girlfriend's birthday. She's never visited this forum before (despite being an even bigger FPW fan than myself)(which doesn't mean that I'm not a big fan)(this kind of thing is hard to get across on the author's own board)--anyway! She's never visited this board before, so I feel somewhat safe posting this in public.

Granted, it's this years "bowling ball" gift--meaning that it's as much for myself as her (if not moreso). But she'll like it, regardless. She loves FPW novels, and she loves vampire novels. COULD IT ) BE ANY MORE PERFECT?!

Get her CRISSCROSS and reap rich erotic rewards Wink .