RepairmanJack.com Forums
Quiz time! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Quiz time! (/thread-999.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Quiz time! - Paul R - 06-04-2005

Listening to the radio the other day, I came across a show that concerned the opening sentences of books, so I thought I would pick some random FPW books and list their opening sentences.
See if you can guess the book! (No cheating mind...!)
1. The room was a special one, situated in the far corner of a building on the outskirts of the Federation complex.
2. He was calling himself Mr. Veilleur these days - Gaston Veilleur - and tonight he found it difficult to sleep.
3. "... and then you know what Jimmy did?"
(This one should be quite easy!) 4. Repairman Jack awoke with the light in his eyes, white noise in his ears, and an ache in his back.
5. The bride wore white.
6. Gasping in horror and revulsion, Zev Wolpin stumbled away from St. Anthony's church.

See which you can ID without looking at the books. I wish I could be bothered to write all of the opening sentences.... but I can't so you'll just have to make do with six!

Quiz time! - Kenji - 06-04-2005

Paul R Wrote:Listening to the radio the other day, I came across a show that concerned the opening sentences of books, so I thought I would pick some random FPW books and list their opening sentences.
1. The room was a special one, situated in the far corner of a building on the outskirts of the Federation complex.
2. He was calling himself Mr. Veilleur these days - Gaston Veilleur - and tonight he found it difficult to sleep.
(This one should be quite easy!) 4. Repairman Jack awoke with the light in his eyes, white noise in his ears, and an ache in his back.
5. The bride wore white.
6. Gasping in horror and revulsion, Zev Wolpin stumbled away from St. Anthony's church.

See which you can ID without looking at the books. I wish I could be bothered to write all of the opening sentences.... but I can't so you'll just have to make do with six!

2...Reborn
4...The Tomb
5...The Haunted Air

I didn't cheat. Wink

Quiz time! - Biggles - 06-04-2005

Paul R Wrote:Listening to the radio the other day, I came across a show that concerned the opening sentences of books, so I thought I would pick some random FPW books and list their opening sentences.
5. The bride wore white.

6 is easy. Midnight Mass.

Quiz time! - Ken Valentine - 06-05-2005

5. The bride wore white.

1. Wheels Within Wheels.

Kenji and Biggles got the others, and I don't know what number 3 is.

Ken V.

Quiz time! - Paul R - 06-05-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:Kenji and Biggles got the others, and I don't know what number 3 is.

Ken V.
Care to step forward for number three, Maggers?

Quiz time! - Maggers - 06-05-2005

Paul R Wrote:Care to step forward for number three, Maggers?

Is it "Deep as the Marrow?"

Correctamundo!
Oh go on then, here are a few more:
1. Rain coming.
2. "... and I say we've had just about enough!"
3. "Can you feel this?"
4. Jean Harlow.
5. Rasalom went to the mountain.
6. A year and a half ago there had been another name on the door, a Polish name, and no doubt a title and the name of a department or bureau in the Polish government.
7. This is a posthumous memoir.
8. Dr. Rond watched the surging crowd outside the hospital gates.
9. It had become a subvocal litany - A whole planetful of Christians, too good to be true, bound to be disappointed - running through his head in a reverberating circuit until all other thoughts and considerations were blurred to indistinction.
10. It was an uneventful evening until it got crazy.

Some of these are pretty hard I think. I can honestly say that, had I been answering the questions instead of setting them, I would probably have only got five right. Jeez - and I call myself an FPW fan!

Wonder how many The Man can get...?

Quiz time! - Maggers - 06-05-2005

#4. Dydeetown World?

Maggers Wrote:#4. Dydeetown World?
Spot on. Give yourself a slap on the back.

Quiz time! - KRW - 06-05-2005

Paul R Wrote:Correctamundo!
Oh go on then, here are a few more:
1. Rain coming.
2. "... and I say we've had just about enough!"
3. "Can you feel this?"
4. Jean Harlow.
5. Rasalom went to the mountain.
6. A year and a half ago there had been another name on the door, a Polish name, and no doubt a title and the name of a department or bureau in the Polish government.
7. This is a posthumous memoir.
8. Dr. Rond watched the surging crowd outside the hospital gates.
9. It had become a subvocal litany - A whole planetful of Christians, too good to be true, bound to be disappointed - running through his head in a reverberating circuit until all other thoughts and considerations were blurred to indistinction.
10. It was an uneventful evening until it got crazy.

Some of these are pretty hard I think. I can honestly say that, had I been answering the questions instead of setting them, I would probably have only got five right. Jeez - and I call myself an FPW fan!

Wonder how many The Man can get...?

Tough ones! Best guess without looking them up:

1- Gateways
3-Virgin
4- Dydeetown world
5- Nightworld
6-The Keep
7-Sibs
8-The Touch

And 10 sounds like a ringer, Maybe Joe Lansdale? I know I've read it, but I can't place it.

KRW