RepairmanJack.com Forums
Silver City - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Silver City (/thread-964.html)

Silver City - Scott Miller - 05-23-2005

I just watched this John Sayles pic and I found it quite amusing and disturbing at the same time. It is all about the Governor's race in Colorado. Chris Cooper is excellent as a Bush-type blundering his way through the campaign and the huge cast is filled by solid actors. Ken V. in particular might find it a worthwhile rent as it delves into some pretty fascinating mining history in a few parts.

Silver City - Scott Miller - 05-25-2005

Scott Miller Wrote:I just watched this John Sayles pic and I found it quite amusing and disturbing at the same time. It is all about the Governor's race in Colorado. Chris Cooper is excellent as a Bush-type blundering his way through the campaign and the huge cast is filled by solid actors. Ken V. in particular might find it a worthwhile rent as it delves into some pretty fascinating mining history in a few parts.

I just rewatched this with my wife. I claimed it was because I knew she would like it, but in reality I needed to clarify a few plot twists for myself. A very good movie, maybe the best I've seen from Sayles.

The following is an exchange that took place between Dickie Pilager, great name for a politician or what, and a group of reporters. During the whole scene, Pilager is anxiously wringing his hands, glancing over his shoulder awaiting his campaign manager to come to the rescue. His speech is peppered with awkward pauses.

Pilager, "We have to get our priorities straight. Education is a priority. Health care is a priority. Our economy is a priority. The environmental...er, the environmental...ah, arena, thats a priority, a big priority. Building new roads, maintaining the present. Keeping the infrastructure in place where it belongs, that's a priority."

"What isn't a priority?" asks Maria Bello as Nora, the reporter.

"What's not a priority? Those matters which are of less of....not that they're not important, but em. If you're gonna have a front burner, which is where you want your priorities. It is like cooking. You need to have something sitting on the back one and that's where your other organizations, your church people, and your organizations formed to help these things will be happy to pitch in if only government will get out of their way."

Huh? Spoken like a true politician.

Silver City - Ken Valentine - 05-25-2005

Scott Miller Wrote:I just watched this John Sayles pic and I found it quite amusing and disturbing at the same time. It is all about the Governor's race in Colorado. Chris Cooper is excellent as a Bush-type blundering his way through the campaign and the huge cast is filled by solid actors. Ken V. in particular might find it a worthwhile rent as it delves into some pretty fascinating mining history in a few parts.

Sounds interesting Scott. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look for it.

In return, have you read James Micheners, CENTENNIAL? He composits characters to a certain extent, but fundamentally, the history is accurate.

For example, the incident where a French trapper has an arrowhead in his back, and has it removed in St. Louis, Missouri.

The name of the real trapper was Jim Bridger, and he had that arrowhead in his back for nine years. He didn't have it removed in St. Louis however. It was removed out on the plains by a doctor who was travelling westward. Dr. Marcus Whitman IIRC, the man who pioneered the Oregon Trail.

Lots of other things as well. Slight name changes and such. For example, Zendt's Farm was actually Bent's Fort, but the things that happened there were true. Like Zendt's (Bent's) wife who was Arapaho (Cheyenne actually) refusing to shake the hand of Colonel Skimmerhorn (Chivington) after the massacre at Rattle Snake Butte (Sand Creek.)

Good book.

Ken V.

Silver City - Scott Miller - 05-25-2005

Both of my folks enjoy Michener, but I have never read him. I'm one of those people who have to encounter history accidently as I don't seem to find, or make, the time to pursue it on my own. You are the closest thing I get to a history lesson, you would have made an awesome professor.

BTW, Silver City was filmed all over Colorado, so I'm sure you would recognize many of the locales. When is the last time you were back? And if you are interested in coming back, let me know and we can grab a cup of Joe.

Silver City - Ken Valentine - 05-25-2005

Scott Miller Wrote:Both of my folks enjoy Michener, but I have never read him. I'm one of those people who have to encounter history accidently as I don't seem to find, or make, the time to pursue it on my own. You are the closest thing I get to a history lesson, you would have made an awesome professor.

You ought to give him a try. Hawaii, The Covenant, Alaska, Centennial, Space, and a few others are good historical novels -- good reads, based on sound history. I believe Michener taught, at Colorado State College (now University of Northern Colorado) which is where I studied history. Not at the same time of course.

Quote:BTW, Silver City was filmed all over Colorado, so I'm sure you would recognize many of the locales. When is the last time you were back? And if you are interested in coming back, let me know and we can grab a cup of Joe.

You know, the last time I was in Denver was August of last year for my 40th high school reunion. It was spur of the moment, as I wasn't sure I would be able to make it.

Halfway there, I thought to myself, "DAMN! I should have contacted Scott Miller for a quick get-together!"

Next time, I won't forget!

Ken V.