RepairmanJack.com Forums
Mutiny on the Bounty - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mutiny on the Bounty (/thread-959.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mutiny on the Bounty - Kenji - 05-21-2005

Last night, I watched one old movie on DVD. I couldn't believe it was made 70 years ago. What a great movie!

Mutiny on the Bounty.

From England, Bounty does sail South Pacific to Tahiti. But because of sneaky Captain Bligh's cruel treatment, Co-captain Christian(Clark Gable) decided to mutiny.When I watched that scene, I shouted "Yay! Go kick him!" in my mind. Big Grin

Action! Thrill! Adventure! Romance!.........Oh, I like old movies!

And, I wanna say one more thing.....I DON'T want this remake version.

Mutiny on the Bounty - Maggers - 05-21-2005

The first "Mutiny" is fun, Kenji. There have been a couple of remakes. The funniest is the 1962 version with Marlon Brando as a perfectly silly Fletcher Christian. You can skip that one, IMO. The 1984 edition with Mel Gibson, "The Bounty," was enjoyable, largely because of Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh. He was not the one note villian that Bligh had been in other versions.

Mutiny on the Bounty - Ken Valentine - 05-21-2005

Kenji Wrote:Last night, I watched one old movie on DVD. I couldn't believe it was made 70 years ago. What a great movie!

Mutiny on the Bounty.

From England, Bounty does sail South Pacific to Tahiti. But because of sneaky Captain Bligh's cruel treatment, Co-captain Christian(Clark Gable) decided to mutiny.When I watched that scene, I shouted "Yay! Go kick him!" in my mind. Big Grin

I don't know how accurate the movie was Kenji, but it was a true story. The follow-up to Mutiny On The Bounty was (IIRC) Men Against The Sea. It documented what happened to Captain Bligh and the others after they were cast off in that small boat.

Ken V.

Maggers Wrote:The first "Mutiny" is fun, Kenji. There have been a couple of remakes. The funniest is the 1962 version with Marlon Brando as a perfectly silly Fletcher Christian. You can skip that one, IMO. The 1984 edition with Mel Gibson, "The Bounty," was enjoyable, largely because of Anthony Hopkins as Captain Bligh. He was not the one note villian that Bligh had been in other versions.

Oh, what??? I didn't know about remake versions. :eek:

Marlon Brando? Mel Gibson? Gosh........I need learn more about movies. :o

Mutiny on the Bounty - KRW - 05-21-2005

Kenji Wrote:Last night, I watched one old movie on DVD. I couldn't believe it was made 70 years ago. What a great movie!

Mutiny on the Bounty.

I was forced to watch it in high school, and when it was over I shook the teachers hand. Great movie that I would have missed otherwise.

KRW

KRW Wrote:I was forced to watch it in high school, and when it was over I shook the teachers hand. Great movie that I would have missed otherwise.

KRW

You were very lucky that you met wonderful teacher. Wink

Mutiny on the Bounty - KRW - 05-21-2005

Kenji Wrote:You were very lucky that you met wonderful teacher. Wink

He ended up being one of the best I had! He kept your nose to the grind and (of course) influenced you to try things you wouldn't. I haven't thought of him in ten years, thanks Kenji!

KRW

KRW Wrote:He ended up being one of the best I had! He kept your nose to the grind and (of course) influenced you to try things you wouldn't. I haven't thought of him in ten years, thanks Kenji!

KRW

That's nice! My school teacher was terrible. He always warned to me. "Don't watch the movies! Do studies!"

Well, I didn't listen to his warning, though. :p

Mutiny on the Bounty - CANADIANRJFAN - 05-24-2005

Hi Kenji,

The Mutiny on the Bounty is a topic that I took great interest in while I was in college. I was so tired of reading textbooks that needed something else of interest to read, & this one stuck.

The 1984 version (The Bounty - Mel Gibson / Anthony Hopkins) may seem slow but in a number of ways this film is historically acurate. Lt. William Bligh was the only commissioned officer aboard the Bounty, he had no Royal Marines to protect him (from a Mutiny) & he did have an unpredictable temper. Bligh spent 31 days attempting to round Cape Horn travelling only 82 miles before turning the ship around & making sail for Cape Hope.

One area I felt this film did not focus on is that, while Lt. Bligh & 18 other men spend 8 weeks at sea in an open launch after the mutiny, the wheather was not sunny & calm as the film suggested. Instead the men were subjected to volient thunderstorms & 10 foot swells in complete darkness with only lightning flashes as illumination. These men were bailing almost as much as they were rowing for their lives.

Bligh did not bring the launch ashore after a man was lost at a stop on Tofua until they passed the Great Barrier Reef and landed on an island known then as Thursday island - named by Bligh in his log.

William Bligh's story is a truly remarkable story of survival and worthy of reading.

Mutiny on the Bounty - Kenji - 05-24-2005

CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:Hi Kenji,

The Mutiny on the Bounty is a topic that I took great interest in while I was in college. I was so tired of reading textbooks that needed something else of interest to read, & this one stuck.

William Bligh's story is a truly remarkable story of survival and worthy of reading.

Hi, CANADIANRJFAN!

Thanks for your opinion! It's very interesting. If I have a opportunity, I'll see Mel Gibson's version. But maybe I'll prefer Clark Gable's version.