RepairmanJack.com Forums
Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Should I Read AC or RJ ?? (/thread-930.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - DrJonLJ - 05-10-2005

First time posting here, guys.

I am simply wondering about the optimal way in which I should enjoy FPW's books. At current I have read The Keep, The Tomb, and The Fifth Harmonic. I have all of the RJ books as well as all of the AC books. I was going to read The Touch next and proceed through the AC. However, I have come across numerous statements that state that Reborn,Reprisal, and Nightworld should not be read until after the last RJ book... This has me slightly confused. Another person counseled me to not even read Reborn, Reprisal, and Nightworld until they have been reprinted and updated.. What's the right thing to do here? I simply want to enjoy these books in the most logical and enjoyable order.

I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - KRW - 05-10-2005

DrJonLJ Wrote:First time posting here, guys.

I am simply wondering about the optimal way in which I should enjoy FPW's books. At current I have read The Keep, The Tomb, and The Fifth Harmonic. I have all of the RJ books as well as all of the AC books. I was going to read The Touch next and proceed through the AC. However, I have come across numerous statements that state that Reborn,Reprisal, and Nightworld should not be read until after the last RJ book... This has me slightly confused. Another person counseled me to not even read Reborn, Reprisal, and Nightworld until they have been reprinted and updated.. What's the right thing to do here? I simply want to enjoy these books in the most logical and enjoyable order.

I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ

I've read them all. Either read th A/C cycle together if you have the option, or read the Jack Novels back to back! Either way it's a great journey! I don't think you can wrong either way. My two cents (spend it wisely) Big Grin

KRW - personally I've read everything out of order and it still makes since when you're done.

P.S. Welcome to the board!

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Maggers - 05-10-2005

Welcome to the board, Dr. Jon.

I'd read The Adversary Cycle and then get into the RJ books, but it doesn't really matter. I suspect you'll be reading them again and again. They are each and every one so rich that you'll want to go back for seconds and thirds.

Whatever order you read FPW's books you will enjoy them. That's a guarantee.

You have a world of fun waiting for you! Enjoy!

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Ken Valentine - 05-11-2005

I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ

I'm just going to end up echoing what Maggers and KRW have said . . . it really doesn't matter.

As far as the updates are concerned, they're going to be microscopic, so don't worry about them. The Tomb is a good example. In the original, there were small things mentioned that dated the book. Like Aunt Grace watching the Johnny Carson Show. These were removed.

If you really want to read them in chronological order, it would be THE KEEP, REBORN, followed by THE TOMB, THE TOUCH, and REPRISAL in any order as they all take place at about the same time, and you can intersperce them with the rest of the RJ books in the order of; LEGACIES, CONSPIRACIES, ALL THE RAGE, (which takes place at about the same time as THE TOUCH) HOSTS, THE HAUNTED AIR, GATEWAYS, CRISSCROSS, the upcoming INFERNAL, and everything will be tied together in NIGHTWORLD.

But as we have all found, these are books we want to read more than once. So, as most of us have done, just jump into them. Gateways does have a lead-in to Crisscross, so I'd recommend reading them in that order, but for the rest of them . . . just go for it!

Welcome to the board.

Ken V.

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Biggles - 05-11-2005

I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ

If you have all of the RJ books, read them first. Then, if you want to save yourself for the definitive versions of the AC, read Paul's sci-fi and short stories next. By that time, the second half of the AC will be revised.

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Scott Miller - 05-11-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:I'm just going to end up echoing what Maggers and KRW have said . . . it really doesn't matter.

As far as the updates are concerned, they're going to be microscopic, so don't worry about them. The Tomb is a good example. In the original, there were small things mentioned that dated the book. Like Aunt Grace watching the Johnny Carson Show. These were removed.

If you really want to read them in chronological order, it would be THE KEEP, REBORN, followed by THE TOMB, THE TOUCH, and REPRISAL in any order as they all take place at about the same time, and you can intersperce them with the rest of the RJ books in the order of; LEGACIES, CONSPIRACIES, ALL THE RAGE, (which takes place at about the same time as THE TOUCH) HOSTS, THE HAUNTED AIR, GATEWAYS, CRISSCROSS, the upcoming INFERNAL, and everything will be tied together in NIGHTWORLD.

But as we have all found, these are books we want to read more than once. So, as most of us have done, just jump into them. Gateways does have a lead-in to Crisscross, so I'd recommend reading them in that order, but for the rest of them . . . just go for it!

Welcome to the board.

Ken V.

I would only alter the chronology to say Reprisal should be read right before Nightworld, but echoing everyone else's sentiments-it is impossible to go wrong.

And welcome aboard.

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Kenji - 05-11-2005

DrJonLJ Wrote:I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ

Welcome to board, DrJonLJ !

You should read all of FPW's books. Big Grin But anyway, if you read AC and RJ,

Like this...

The Keep
Reborn
Reprisal
The Touch
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiaracies
All the Rage
The Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
?
Night World

I think this is right. Enjoy your reading!

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Keith the Elder - 05-11-2005

Welcome DrJon:

Ditto what everyone else said!!

How do you feel about Haiku??

keith the elder

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - All Thumbs - 05-11-2005

Do like I did and go hog-wild and read both side by side!!!

Should I Read AC or RJ ?? - Jay #1 - 05-11-2005

go ahead and read them, then do it when they're updated. Also try any which way you choose. *grin* Everyone has a different way of doing it. I read Tomb first, then Legacies. Found the Conspiracies hardback on ebay, not a first edition though. Then started reading in a reasonable order.

I appreciate your help,
DrJonLJ