RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Prisoner - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Prisoner (/thread-895.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Prisoner - Kenji - 04-22-2005

Today, I bought DVDs. The title is "The Prisoner"

I just watched first episode. I couldn't believe this drama was in 1967. The plot is very original. One man(Patrick McGoohan) is suddenly kidnapped. He woke up in unknown town.Then everybody call him No.6. Still, I just only finished watching one episode, so I don't know next his move. Someday he'll run away from this town.

Has anyone seen this drama? NO SPOILER, please. Wink

The Prisoner - Maggers - 04-22-2005

Kenji, glad you're enjoying "The Prisoner." It was a terrific TV series in the late 60's, very avant garde for its day. It was wildly different from anything else offered at that time. Loved it. I think I'll put it on my Netflix queue to see again.

The Prisoner - ShadowLord - 04-22-2005

I loved the shows and still do -- I have some of them on DVD -- for those addicts there are complete box sets of "The Prisoner" available for purchase..

Now if you trace the character back a bit you will find it fits in very nicely with a series the actor did serveral years before called (by one of two different names depending on where you watched it) Danger Man or Secret Agent Man -- Black and white shows where Patrick plays the role of a British Secret Agent -- I love the series and it can still be found on TV..once again this series is available on DVD.. (early james bond type of character).

There was actually one colour film he made I can't remember the name now as I only got to see it on TV once --Started with a Kara......(I think) where the John Drake character was in Japan!!!

I really loved one episode of Secret Agent Man where he is in Africa spying on some mercs...and in order to break someone out of a hospital he jumps out of a moving ambulance -- and then pole vaults into the second story window... Just a great series to watch!

I thought he had fallen off the face of the planet then low and behold Mcgoohan shows up as the king in Braveheart...

ShadowLord

The Prisoner - Maggers - 04-22-2005

ShadowLord Wrote:...Secret Agent Man -- Black and white shows where Patrick plays the role of a British Secret Agent...

ShadowLord

Secret Agent Man! Loved it! I can even sing the theme song!

"Secret Agent Man
Secret Agent Man
They've given you a number and taken away your name."

It was a top 40 pop hit back in the day.

Thanks for reminding me of the connection. I'd forgotten.

And I, too, have been on the lookout for Patrick McGoohan. He's been in some things every now and again. Always good.

The Prisoner - ShadowLord - 04-22-2005

Doesn't that theme song tie into the Prisoner and it's plot--

From Secret Agent Man --

They took away his name and gave him a number -- and what happens in the prisoner -- Smile

Dang I want to remember the name of that movie he did in Japan now!!! Grrrr

Great did some net searches and found out the last two episodes of Secret Agent Man were set in Japan and were the only two color episodes

Titles are --Shinda Shima and Koroshi -- Now that I found this out I realize I havent seen them both -- SHOPPING TIME

ShadowLord

ShadowLord Wrote:Doesn't that theme song tie into the Prisoner and it's plot--

From Secret Agent Man --

They took away his name and gave him a number -- and what happens in the prisoner -- Smile

Dang I want to remember the name of that movie he did in Japan now!!! Grrrr

Great did some net searches and found out the last two episodes of Secret Agent Man were set in Japan and were the only two color episodes

Titles are --Shinda Shima and Koroshi -- Now that I found this out I realize I havent seen them both -- SHOPPING TIME

ShadowLord

Maybe, the title is "Koroshi"......is it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060605/

The Prisoner - Biggles - 04-22-2005

Kenji Wrote:Today, I bought DVDs. The title is "The Prisoner"

I just watched first episode. I couldn't believe this drama was in 1967. The plot is very original. One man(Patrick McGoohan) is suddenly kidnapped. He woke up in unknown town.Then everybody call him No.6. Still, I just only finished watching one episode, so I don't know next his move. Someday he'll run away from this town.

Has anyone seen this drama? NO SPOILER, please. Wink

Kenji,

I have the boxed set, along with the boxed sets of all of the half-hour and hour long Danger Man/Secret Agent episodes. I enjoyed all of these back in the '60s when they were first brought over from the UK, and it's great that they're all available on DVD! Don't miss out on any of them--it was TV at its very best.

The Prisoner - shoggoth666 - 04-22-2005

Mcgoohan is excellent in the prisoner love that series.The band Iron Maiden wrote 2 songs about the series in the 80's,The Prisoner and back in The village.The bands manager caled Mcgoohan up to ask his permission to use sound bytes from the opening sequence.Mcgoohans response typically succinct and to the point was simply "do it".

Biggles Wrote:Kenji,

I have the boxed set, along with the boxed sets of all of the half-hour and hour long Danger Man/Secret Agent episodes. I enjoyed all of these back in the '60s when they were first brought over from the UK, and it's great that they're all available on DVD! Don't miss out on any of them--it was TV at its very best.

Boxed set was already released in Japan. But it was very expensive! :eek:

Recently, The Prisoner was released in separated six disks. So I bought first three disks.

Danger Man/Secret Agent is not released in Japan yet.

The Prisoner - maxplay - 04-22-2005

Secret Agent (or Danger Man) was the first, successful British series to break into the American television market. McGoohan left the show to do The Prisoner, which he wrote, produced, directed and starred in (sometimes under pseudonym, according to IMDb, because of the sheer number of credits to his name). He was born in the US, but raised in Ireland.