RepairmanJack.com Forums
TV rambling, and a confession - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: TV rambling, and a confession (/thread-869.html)

Pages: 1 2

TV rambling, and a confession - Dave - 04-08-2005

The series Rescue Me just finished last night. I really enjoyed this new show, and the ending was perfect. Denis Leary's world weary act is prevalent in every scene and made it something different to anything else on tv.

Gave up on Point Pleasant. I was trying to hang on, then I heard it got cancelled and I quickly dropped it, as did the network showing it. They're replacing it with a double helping of the new series of Scrubs. Can't complain about that!

Smallville is beginning to grate. I still enjoy watching it, but something seems to be missing, and I think it's Lois. They introduced this great character, sparks flew, humorous situations ensued, and then she goes away. I understand she'll be back, so I'll keep watching.

24 has reached the end of part one, they do it every season. All threats averted but still about twelve hours left. Curious to see where it goes, it's been good so far, except the stupid schizophrenic daughter storyline. What's that all about? (rhetorical question)

The OC, Desperate Housewives, ER and Las Vegas are guilty pleasures, but my big confession is not one of these.

My big confession:
It is a show that I believe is pretty successful in the US. It has reached at least a 5th season and I think it will make the magic number seven.

In the UK it is unknown. To my knowledge, never been shown on our screens, until now.

I first caught an episode whilst on vacation in Mexico, and thought the dialogue was great. Good characters and it hit my sense of humour exactly.

I found it on the Hallmark channel, a channel I normally avoid like the plague, whilst sitting at home ill one day. I was just hopping, as you do, and the name flashed on the on screen menu. And lo and behold, it was the beginning of season one, and they were showing them every day of the week at the same time (that's daytime tv for you). With Sky+ (tivo), this is Nirvana. So I set it up, it records every day and is waiting for me when I get home. I'm addicted to a show on the Hallmark channel, ye gads.

Into season 2, and I'm still enjoying every minute of it.

Can you guess what it is yet?

I confess, I am addicted to the Gilmore Girls. I've said it, banish me, black ball me, tar and feather me, I can keep it in no longer.

Don't hate me, we all have our vices.

Dave

TV rambling, and a confession - Marc - 04-08-2005

Dave Wrote:The series Rescue Me just finished last night.

Never even heard of this one. I'll have to look for it.

Quote:Gave up on Point Pleasant.

I did this after the third or fourth episode. The show, to me, didn't gel properly nor was the acting very good. Such a shame since I was really looking forward to this season.

Quote:Smallville is beginning to grate.

Stopped watching in December or so. Too many episodes were basically old shows rewritten.

Quote:24 has reached the end of part one, they do it every season. All threats averted but still about twelve hours left.

Again, after that major disaster, I lost interest. Happens every season.

Quote:The OC, Desperate Housewives, ER and Las Vegas are guilty pleasures, but my big confession is not one of these.

Desperate Housewives I'm still loving. Extremely well written show.

The only other show I watch weekly is Lost. Check it out if it ever comes to your side of the pond.

Quote:I confess, I am addicted to the Gilmore Girls. I've said it, banish me, black ball me, tar and feather me, I can keep it in no longer.

It's an extremely well written show. I watch it from time-to-time. Nothing wrong with your... ahem... addiction.

TV rambling, and a confession - Scott Hajek - 04-08-2005

Dave Wrote:Rescue Me
Point Pleasant
Scrubs
Smallville
The OC
Desperate Housewives
ER
Las Vegas
Gilmore Girls

It's like the Sesame Street game: which one doesn't belong.

Quote:I've said it, banish me, black ball me, tar and feather me, I can keep it in no longer.

Don't hate me, we all have our vices.

Dave

No, we won't hate you or send you to the furthest reaches, but I'll admit, I did stifle a laugh. That's only because it seems to be an odd choice for a vice. I've never seen it, and probably won't, so I can't judge. But, I can laugh.

As far as the other shows you listed, I agree with you on the ones I watch: 24, ER, Housewives and Scrubs (but only since this season when I can catch it)

TV rambling, and a confession - Scott Hajek - 04-08-2005

Marc B. Wrote:Again, after that major disaster, I lost interest. Happens every season.

To which major disaster are you referring? Have you stopped watching and missed the biggest event yet? If so, you are missing the best season yet. And, the only season to keep everything tied together logically. Last season was too loosely connected. This season is very tight.

TV rambling, and a confession - Mick C. - 04-08-2005

RESCUE ME is really good. Leary had an earlier series about a New York polic squad that was similar in tone (and had much of the same cast) - unfortunately, they haven't yet released it on DVD.

I don't know if they have THE SHIELD on in the UK, but I think it's the best thing on American television right now.

Both shows are on the FX channel here.

Scott Hajek Wrote:I've never seen it, and probably won't, so I can't judge. But, I can laugh.

Laugh with me, or at me, as long as I get the laugh. Big Grin

Dave

Mick C. Wrote:I don't know if they have THE SHIELD on in the UK, but I think it's the best thing on American television right now.

It has been shown and I heard good things about it, but it seemed a bit dark for my taste. It will probably be one I'll try in the future on DVD.

Dave

TV rambling, and a confession - Marc - 04-08-2005

Scott Hajek Wrote:To which major disaster are you referring?

SPOILERS ... HIGHLIGHT TO READ

Retrieving the unit that stops all the nuclear reactors from going critical. I watched a couple episodes after but it was just Jack running around after the terrorist so I got bored.

Marc B. Wrote:I watched a couple episodes after but it was just Jack running around after the terrorist so I got bored.

Ooh, can't wait. Big Grin

Dave

TV rambling, and a confession - Lisa - 04-08-2005

LOST and DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES are awesome. I don't watch any of the other mentioned shows, though. I did see the first few episodes of POINT PLEASANT but then forgot (!) about it. Guess it couldn't have been too good then, LOL.

Lisa