RepairmanJack.com Forums
Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) (/thread-77.html)

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - jpwynn - 04-28-2004

This is a question that has thwarted me for years. IF, in any story, Vampires need blood to survive, and they end up taking over the world - what happens to their food supply?

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - jimbow8 - 04-28-2004

jpwynn Wrote:This is a question that has thwarted me for years. IF, in any story, Vampires need blood to survive, and they end up taking over the world - what happens to their food supply?
That is the problem. Usually the goal of vampires is to keep humans as a "food supply" and raise them like cattle.

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - drewbitt - 04-28-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:That is the problem. Usually the goal of vampires is to keep humans as a "food supply" and raise them like cattle.

MIDNIGHT MASS addresses this supply-and-demand problem, though I won't spoil it for you in case you haven't read it.
Suffice to say that vampires have some serious tactical problems in "herding" human beings. Domination of humanity by a group of vampires--even assuming they are able to propagate as quickly as shown--is a tricky situation under ideal conditions. Might be nice to see more novels that attack this from similar or different premises.

Drew

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - Biggles - 05-01-2004

drewbitt Wrote:MIDNIGHT MASS addresses this supply-and-demand problem, though I won't spoil it for you in case you haven't read it.
Suffice to say that vampires have some serious tactical problems in "herding" human beings. Domination of humanity by a group of vampires--even assuming they are able to propagate as quickly as shown--is a tricky situation under ideal conditions. Might be nice to see more novels that attack this from similar or different premises.

Drew

On my father's side my family is from the Carpathians, so we know a thing or two about vampire management techniques. First of all, vampires strictly control the number of new admittees on a yearly basis (being effectively immortal, this is exceedingly important). In order to ensure adequate "food supplies" they find this to be a more politically acceptable method than rationing. Most vampires are free market capitalists and reject rationing and government control over production and supply. They realize that rationing could result in shortages and quite frankly find that unacceptable. In order to ensure that their interests are managed for the long-term (which is considerably longer term than perceived by that idiot Keynes, who said "in the long term, we're all dead"--(asshole)), they actively recruit new members from the ranks of MBAs from prestigious business schools nation-wide.

They also seek law school graduates who correctly answer the following question:

Q. What is 2 + 2?

Correct A. What do you want it to be?

On another matter, vampires find current American cuisine to be nicely marbled, but a little high on lipid and ETOH levels. They will muddle through, however, as they have for ages.

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - Biggles - 05-01-2004

drewbitt Wrote:MIDNIGHT MASS addresses this supply-and-demand problem, though I won't spoil it for you in case you haven't read it.

Drew

BTW, in case any of you question my credentials for discussing vampires, keep in mind what vampires are: "blood-sucking monsters". I'm a lawyer. Next question?

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - Paul R - 05-03-2004

Biggles Wrote:BTW, in case any of you question my credentials for discussing vampires, keep in mind what vampires are: "blood-sucking monsters". I'm a lawyer. Next question?

No further questions your honour... Big Grin

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - InfinityLtd - 05-12-2004

Biggles Wrote:BTW, in case any of you question my credentials for discussing vampires, keep in mind what vampires are: "blood-sucking monsters". I'm a lawyer. Next question?

I am not going to say anything, as I fear a lawsuit.

"First thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -- Shakespeare, Henry the Sixth, Part Two

(Well, okay, just one.) Rolleyes

Questions about Vampires (Midnight Mass) - XiaoYu - 06-10-2004

Saw this thread and couldn't resist adding this link: http://www.drinkdeeplyanddream.com Check it out if you dare. And be careful; these are serious people (vampires, I mean.)