RepairmanJack.com Forums
Young adult genre - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Young adult genre (/thread-4560.html)

Young adult genre - XiaoYu - 02-03-2012

Hiya folks!

It's been awhile Smile Just started my boyfriend on the adult Jack series, and plan to introduce it to several of my other friends soon, so I've been rereading them to get pumped. I have all the YA Jack books too, so I can't wait to dig into the last two, which I haven't read yet.

Thinking about those YA Jack books and the somewhat recent barrage of YA books in general, I wanted to pick your collective brains about the modern development of this genre. Some young adult books are very light and easy reads (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), while others are violent and downright kind of scary (later Harry Potter books and the theme of Hunger Games comes to mind immediately. And Twilight, where I find some of the attitudes in the books kind of alarming).

What now determines what's appropriate for YA books? The language and writing style/complexity? A lack of overt sexual scenes/profanity? Tackling coming-of-age topics head on? That the main character is a young person? Many of my friends (in their mid/late-20s) have been reading YA books eagerly (like the Hunger Games), so it seems like the genre is bleeding out into adult audiences much more than I remember, back when I was closer to what I'd consider a "young adult".

--XY

Young adult genre - rjack_fan - 02-04-2012

First off, I am not in the writing or publishing industry so I have no idea what the correct answer is.

But, I have read some YA books and they seem to have teens as the main characters so the story comes from their perspective. The writing also seems a little less complicated, not so much in terms of themes or writing down to the audience, but a slightly easier reading level. I think many teens relate well to characters their own age.

There was a twitter debate not to far back about themes in YA books under #YASaves. It was sparked by an article written about dark themes in YA literature (wish I had the link handy, sorry!), which was on the side of things getting too dark. The backlash came from authors writing about these topics, as well as readers that had been "saved" in some way by those books by relating to the bad situations or themes and getting something positive from them, like hope, or not feeling alone, or even being inspired to get help.

Sex is also very controversial. Most of what i've read refrains from outright intercourse between teen characters, but mirrors age appropriate behavior and delimas. I can certainly see where teens reading about other teens having sex is different than teens reading adult books that include scenes of adults having sex. One is their peers, one puts that activity in the adult realm.

Just what i've noticed. I'm interested to see what the real answer is.

Young adult genre - Scott Miller - 02-06-2012

rjack_fan Wrote:First off, I am not in the writing or publishing industry so I have no idea what the correct answer is.

But, I have read some YA books and they seem to have teens as the main characters so the story comes from their perspective. The writing also seems a little less complicated, not so much in terms of themes or writing down to the audience, but a slightly easier reading level. I think many teens relate well to characters their own age.

There was a twitter debate not to far back about themes in YA books under #YASaves. It was sparked by an article written about dark themes in YA literature (wish I had the link handy, sorry!), which was on the side of things getting too dark. The backlash came from authors writing about these topics, as well as readers that had been "saved" in some way by those books by relating to the bad situations or themes and getting something positive from them, like hope, or not feeling alone, or even being inspired to get help.

Sex is also very controversial. Most of what i've read refrains from outright intercourse between teen characters, but mirrors age appropriate behavior and delimas. I can certainly see where teens reading about other teens having sex is different than teens reading adult books that include scenes of adults having sex. One is their peers, one puts that activity in the adult realm.

Just what i've noticed. I'm interested to see what the real answer is.

As someone who reads a lot of YA books, I think your answer is spot on. And like the rest of the entertainment industry, YA books are allowing more and more previously taboo subject matter to creep in. I do not think this is a bad thing at all because teens are getting exposed to, and in some cases experiencing, sex and violence anyways so why not tackle the issues in a literate way that isn't exploitative? In most of the books I've read that would be considered edgy subject-wise, there are serious ramifications for the characters actions.

If you're interested, The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith is probably the most 'adult' YA book I've read and is a good book. The violence and sex are both depicted graphically but there is absolutely nothing titillating about either.

Young adult genre - Tony H - 02-06-2012

I think you are <del>spot-on</del> on point with ya-fiction. The key here though is the term "Young Adult" which is not to be confused with "Children".

Most book stores have a children's section which includes children and teen novels. Then a separate YA section.

Also, I see Harry Potter as a morphing beast. It started off very child/YA and as the characters aged and the audience aged with the series, JKR started writing at the appropriate age level of her readers.

By the time the final book was done, the kids who began their journey with the first book were adults by the time it was all over. I don't see the HP books as being YA novels past The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Young adult genre - Scott Miller - 02-06-2012

Tony H Wrote:I think you are spot-on with ya-fiction.

Hey this 'spot on' is already taken-go get your own damn adjective.

Scott Miller Wrote:Hey this 'spot on' is already taken-go get your own damn adjective.

Fine! Happy now?

Young adult genre - Fenian1916 - 02-06-2012

Spot-on, spot-on

Oops, hit the wrong button.

What I tried saying was "Fenny, this adjective has already been claimed by Scott!"

Young adult genre - Scott Miller - 02-07-2012

Tony H Wrote:Fine! Happy now?

Happier for sure. I can understand wanting to steal from the best but try a little subtlety next time.