RepairmanJack.com Forums
Cracker and Inspector Lynley - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cracker and Inspector Lynley (/thread-4519.html)

Cracker and Inspector Lynley - Sigokat - 12-07-2011

These are two british mystery dramas that have really caught my attention.

Cracker stars Robbie Coltrane (Haggard from Harry Potter for those unfamiliar with the early show) as a forensic psychologist that aids the police in solving crimes. Coltrane is fantastic as the arrogant know-it-all that psychoanalyzes everyone, but refuses to change his own flaws. He drinks, smokes, and gambles away the family savings. He can spot a criminal a mile away and usually make them confess, but as we see in the series, he is fallable and does make mistakes. Originally aired in 1993.

The Inspector Lynley series is another excellent detective show, but not as "gritty" as Cracker. Lynley is an artisocrat that is also a detective inspector. He is partnered with detective sergeant Havers, a snotty, but level-headed female cop that has problems working with other officers. Lynley and Havers have their own set of problems at first but start to work well together. This show is much more "sophistacted" than Cracker, but has some great acting on the part of Nathanial Parker and Sharon Small, Lynley and Havers respectively. It also featured (early in the series) David Burke who was one of two men to star as Dr. Watson opposite of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock in the Granada Sherlock Holmes run. Originally aired in the early 2000s I believe.

Both series have a bit of slang and accents so some words are hard to understand, but it doesn't detract much at all from the series. Its just sometimes I either cannot understand what they are saying or I understand the words but not the meaning behind what they are saying. Difference of the Queen's English vs. Americanized English I guess.

So if anyone else has seen either of these shows I would love to hear some opinions, or if you haven't and enjoy detective mysteries I recommend picking them up (I own both because I had to buy Cracker as Netflix never got it).

Cracker and Inspector Lynley - Dave - 12-08-2011

I watched most of the Cracker episodes on their original broadcast (eighteen frakking years ago!), and I always enjoyed them, Coltrane was brilliant in the role. They're due a re-watch so I might pick up the boxset some time.

As I recall, I had a crush on the young police woman who had to deal with him.

Haven't seen Lynley. I typically avoid crime dramas, I like a hint of weird in my fiction, so would have avoided this like the plague. Not sure why Cracker made it through, probably Robbie.

Cracker and Inspector Lynley - Tony H - 12-08-2011

My favorite procedural from across the pond was "Wire in the Blood", I went into mourning when I heard that it got canceled, considering it ended on a cliff-hanger. Each episode runs about 90 minutes and is like a self-contained movie.

Cracker and Inspector Lynley - rjack_fan - 12-09-2011

Barnes and nobles has British tv DVDs and Blu rays for 50% off right now, including box sets. Or at least they did on tuesday and Wednesday. We got season 6 of dr who; and the entire Monty python collection was only $50!