RepairmanJack.com Forums
Mid-season finales. - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Mid-season finales. (/thread-4517.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mid-season finales. - cobalt - 11-28-2011

Ok...who's fed up with mid-season finales? Some of the programs I watch are in rerun until February! Grrrrr...

Mid-season finales. - Alvin Fox - 11-28-2011

It gives me a break and lets me catch up with other stuff. As it is my Sundays and Thursdays have been packed.

We DVR stuff so on days where there isn't stuff to watch....we watch them instead.

Mid-season finales. - t4terrific - 11-28-2011

It sucks to have to wait so long to see the rest of the story. On the other hand, it sure makes for a great episode in the middle of the season. It's like getting two season finale's in one season.

t4terrific Wrote:It sucks to have to wait so long to see the rest of the story. On the other hand, it sure makes for a great episode in the middle of the season. It's like getting two season finale's in one season.

Yeah...I suppose so. But February? That's 2 months.

Mid-season finales. - Alvin Fox - 11-28-2011

Well, it was about 10 months since season 1 ended and this one started. So now there might only be something like 5 months between seasons 2 and 3.

Mid-season finales. - Dave - 11-28-2011

The US scheduling of TV has always been a crap shoot from what I've seen. Because they want to spread the 22 to 24 episode season across 9 months, it simply doesn't fit.

The UK used to wait until January/February before starting any US shows so that we would get them all in sequence without any breaks, and by the time May/June arrived we'd have caught up with the finale of the US.

However, the internet age has made our TV channels more keen to show the episodes as close to the US airdate as possible, so we're beginning to see this patchwork season timeframe, our viewing pleasure of Fringe the other week was delayed because the US delayed by a week due to baseball, and the gods forbid we see it before the US :decision:.

But US TV has changed too, as shows have become more serialized they've noticed viewers don't like a repeat shoved in between two new episodes, so they've started to bunch them up, but because they are determined to hit key sweeps, and drag the season across 9 months, we now have mid season breaks.

This is probably the best solution in the long run, and as T4 said, you get two finales (although saying that, due to the baseball Fringe delay, the planned mid season finale is now scheduled as the first of the next block in the new year!).

FYI, British TV tends to have much smaller 'seasons', 6 is typical, 13 is becoming more popular for some formats. This means we show them without interruption, however Doctor Who had a mid-season break this year, the first time, and maybe a worrying sign of things to come.

Mid-season finales. - Marc - 11-28-2011

I prefer the British shorter series run as opposed the US method. What I would prefer to see are two "seasons" for television. The fall/winter season and show everything bak-to-back, take a break for the holidays, then have another season of different shows in spring/summer.

Mid-season finales. - Medusa - 11-28-2011

If I'd have known before that they were doing this I would've waiting no getting caught up on our other DVR'd stuff. I could've watched it all while waiting. I don't know why they do this now.

Mid-season finales. - The Mad American - 11-28-2011

Medusa Wrote:If I'd have known before that they were doing this I would've waiting no getting caught up on our other DVR'd stuff. I could've watched it all while waiting. I don't know why they do this now.

I think (and this is purely a guess on my part) they do this now because of the writer's strike a while back. It makes it easier to control with the shorter or split season. I am not a fan of it either but at least we are getting a split type season now rather than having to wait a full year for a 6 episode season.