RepairmanJack.com Forums
Netflix - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Netflix (/thread-4267.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Netflix - cobalt - 07-13-2011

Did you guys get this e-mail from Netflix? We're thinking of canceling our account.

*We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $19.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 3 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $15.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $23.98 a month ($7.99 + $15.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to your account page.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

–The Netflix Team

Netflix - Lisa - 07-13-2011

Yeah, unfortunately the movie studios are going to start charging through the butt for the streaming rights, which is what necessitates the price increase. But Netflix could have, you know, just said that, instead of trying to spin it as some awesome deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technology/netflix_starz_contract/

"Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012."

Netflix - cobalt - 07-13-2011

Lisa Wrote:Yeah, unfortunately the movie studios are going to start charging through the butt for the streaming rights, which is what necessitates the price increase. But Netflix could have, you know, just said that, instead of trying to spin it as some awesome deal.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/technology/netflix_starz_contract/

"Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012."

Yeah...I just love being lied to. Sad

Netflix - Marc - 07-13-2011

It doesn't affect me right now since I only stream. While Lisa is probably right, I think it's also because the cost to stream is much lower than sending physical copies so, in essense, they are trying to move people towards streaming only.

My concern are the caps ISP's are trying to impose. That will seriously hurt the future of internet distribution.

Netflix - The Mad American - 07-13-2011

Also, the biggest issue I have with this is Netflix raised prices in Jan of this year and said it was because of the increased expense of streaming. Twice in a year so I doubt this will be the end of it. I also read the article that Lisa posted the meat of, Netflix is going to get smashed with new streaming license fees BUT why didn't they just tell us that instead of doing it the way they did?

I see my future being only paying for the streaming content and using a kiosk service like RedBox for DVDs. I am sure the kiosk services were jumping for joy when they say what Netflix was up to.

Netflix - Lisa - 07-13-2011

I only use the streaming service anyway, so the price increase doesn't affect me. Still a shitty way to go about things, though.

Lisa Wrote:I only use the streaming service anyway, so the price increase doesn't affect me. Still a shitty way to go about things, though.

I mostly use the streaming service now but the selection of newer DVDs is not that great on Netflix streaming. I hope they have plans to fix that now with this price format change. I still get some DVDs of new releases sent to me but will just use something local now to do that.

Netflix - nonquixote - 07-13-2011

At this stage I still consider Netflix a much better deal than what I had been doing, renting 5 or 6 movies a month from Blockbuster for $5.00 each and subscribing to premium movie channels for about $50.00 per month.

Netflix - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 07-13-2011

Wouldn't everyone's soul profit by abandoning worldly follies like Netflix and spending more time in Bible study?

(HA-HA-HA! LITTLE BLUES SPEAKS ONLY TRUTH!--RASALOM)

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Wouldn't everyone's soul profit by abandoning worldly follies like Netflix and spending more time in Bible study?

(HA-HA-HA! LITTLE BLUES SPEAKS ONLY TRUTH!--RASALOM)

Yeah!!! I say we start by burning down all the Barnes and Nobles stores!!! Who is with me? We can study our bibles by the light of the holy cleansing fires while those dens of evil burn. Burn I tell you!!