RepairmanJack.com Forums
A change in 70s films? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: A change in 70s films? (/thread-4115.html)

A change in 70s films? - Dervish - 04-21-2011

I've noticed that shows like the original Lost In Space and Star Trek and other such shows from the 60s tended to show a lot of respect and trust for authority.

But recently I've seen a lot of 70s movies and I've noticed a trend of not only lacking respect for authority but in rebelling against it. It doesn't matter if it's Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Smokey and the Bandit the scriptwriting took a radical turn. And then I recall Star Wars came out with glorified rebels, too.

And recalling other '70s flicks I've seen even when it makes a hero of a cop it's usually a vigilante who bucks his superiors.

TV and movies are said to be a reflection of society and that reflection seemed to morph a lot in just 10 years (or less). I'm curious about this change. What made such a change? Was it that Watergate, the loss of Vietnam, and things like that seriously undermined respect for authority?

Still, from what I've seen of 70s flicks it seems to lack the paranoia of authority in a lot of 90s shows & flicks.

Anyway, I'd be curious as to any insight anyone could provide. Thanks. Smile

A change in 70s films? - Scott Miller - 04-21-2011

Dervish Wrote:I've noticed that shows like the original Lost In Space and Star Trek and other such shows from the 60s tended to show a lot of respect and trust for authority.

But recently I've seen a lot of 70s movies and I've noticed a trend of not only lacking respect for authority but in rebelling against it. It doesn't matter if it's Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Smokey and the Bandit the scriptwriting took a radical turn. And then I recall Star Wars came out with glorified rebels, too.

And recalling other '70s flicks I've seen even when it makes a hero of a cop it's usually a vigilante who bucks his superiors.

TV and movies are said to be a reflection of society and that reflection seemed to morph a lot in just 10 years (or less). I'm curious about this change. What made such a change? Was it that Watergate, the loss of Vietnam, and things like that seriously undermined respect for authority?

Still, from what I've seen of 70s flicks it seems to lack the paranoia of authority in a lot of 90s shows & flicks.

I'm certainly no expert on cinema history, but it was during the 70's that independent filmmaking began to boom. You were starting to see movies being made outside of the big production studios. I have a friend who is moving back to Denver this weekend and he can supply me with a much more thorough answer that I will pass on.

A change in 70s films? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-21-2011

Dervish Wrote:I've noticed that shows like the original Lost In Space and Star Trek and other such shows from the 60s tended to show a lot of respect and trust for authority.

Did EASY RIDER start the trend?

A change in 70s films? - unsupervised - 04-22-2011

Mildred: What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny: Whaddya got?

The Wild One - 1953