RepairmanJack.com Forums
A question for the board.. (long) - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: A question for the board.. (long) (/thread-3922.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

A question for the board.. (long) - JACKFAN123 - 09-23-2010

I just started participating in this forum a few days ago. It's a neat forum that I am going to keep in my internet circuit.

Anyway, on to the point of the post. Every year my wife and I take a small vacation to take a break from life. These vacations usually involve driving 5-7 hours north to get away from the humidity of the deep south. On these trips we usually pick up an audio book. On our trip last summer we chose By the Sword. She was unfamiliar with the RPJ series, so I enjoyed explaining the intracacies of the plot to her. (As you can tell by the length of this post, the sound of my own voice can keep me occupied indefinately.) After the book finished, she asked a great question. "Do I think they would ever make a movie about the book(s) of RPJ series?" What was really interesting though was where this discussion eventually led.

I do not think a movie would do justice to an involved series like RPJ. I think the format would have to be something closer to the series carried on Showtime or HBO like a Dexter or Sopranos. The brilliance of Wilson's series is in the minutiae. Its the intricate web that prevents the reader from having to make huge leaps of faith that make them unique. He builds a slippery slope that you can naturally slide down. So to have a successful translation to a medium like film a feel like you have got to be able to step outside of the usual time constraints associated with a movie or small series. You have to have enough time to educate the viewing audience of all the background themes at play.

Then the real question came to the forefront who would play Jack and who would play Gia?

The actor to play Jack has to be able to understate his acting. He has to fit the role of "ordinary joe." He cannot be overly charismatic and still be true to the character. At the same time, he has to be able to turn on the charisma and rage and emotion that is sometimes necessary in the novels.

So the question is, do you agree with the format? And who do you pick to play Jack and Gia?

I haven't figured out the Jack yet, but I like Shannon Sossamon for Gia.

A question for the board.. (long) - cobalt - 09-24-2010

This subject has been discussed many a time. There are several threads devoted to it as well as if/when a movie is made. Check out the search feature on the board...you'll see there was many a discussion. Pics were posted too.

A question for the board.. (long) - The Mad American - 09-24-2010

Oh boy did you pick a doozy. It is like opening an old wound. As Cobalt suggested check out the many threads and news from FPW himself involving a potential RJ movie.

And keep coming around. It is nice to see new members who are actually living breathing people.Big Grin

A question for the board.. (long) - flyboy707 - 09-24-2010

JACKFAN123 Wrote:I do not think a movie would do justice to an involved series like RPJ. I think the format would have to be something closer to the series carried on Showtime or HBO like a Dexter or Sopranos.

Yes, I realize there is a wealth of threads out there about this subject, but I just couldn't resist posting a reply. :xd:

I was having this very thought driving home from a mission last night. As far as a series goes, it will definitely take an HBO or Showtime like "network" to do it. Although, I have always thought that "The Tomb" would make a great stand-alone movie.

I can't think of a character quite like RJ that exists in television or any recent movies and I think a lot of people would watch a series.

A question for the board.. (long) - KRW - 09-25-2010

flyboy707 Wrote:Yes, I realize there is a wealth of threads out there about this subject, but I just couldn't resist posting a reply. :xd:

I was having this very thought driving home from a mission last night. As far as a series goes, it will definitely take an HBO or Showtime like "network" to do it. Although, I have always thought that "The Tomb" would make a great stand-alone movie.

I can't think of a character quite like RJ that exists in television or any recent movies and I think a lot of people would watch a series.
Welcome back to the board flyboy! I do hope your problems have become manageable and look forward to more of your posts!
Now, to get to the topic of the thread, I agree with you. Jack needs a series to be done right and I'll stick with Hugh Jackman playing Jack for a few more years.Big Grin

A question for the board.. (long) - flyboy707 - 09-26-2010

KRW Wrote:Welcome back to the board flyboy! I do hope your problems have become manageable and look forward to more of your posts!
Big Grin

Thanks, KRW ! It's great to be back and see that all the old gang is still here.

A question for the board.. (long) - Alvin Fox - 09-26-2010

Some time ago I read of how Ron Howard is approaching The Dark Tower movies/ tv series and thought that the same approach could definitely work for RJ.

He's going to do three movies and shoot them back-to-back-to-back. They will be released once a year for three years. In between those times there will be two years of tv episodes. Supposedly you don't need to watch both but you can get a much fuller story of twists and turns if you watch everything.

A question for the board.. (long) - JACKFAN123 - 09-26-2010

AlvinFox Wrote:Some time ago I read of how Ron Howard is approaching The Dark Tower movies/ tv series and thought that the same approach could definitely work for RJ.

He's going to do three movies and shoot them back-to-back-to-back. They will be released once a year for three years. In between those times there will be two years of tv episodes. Supposedly you don't need to watch both but you can get a much fuller story of twists and turns if you watch everything.

I hadn't heard that, I think you are right though that would be an approach that would work well.

A question for the board.. (long) - t4terrific - 07-25-2011

JACKFAN123 Wrote:I just started participating in this forum a few days ago. It's a neat forum that I am going to keep in my internet circuit.

Anyway, on to the point of the post. Every year my wife and I take a small vacation to take a break from life. These vacations usually involve driving 5-7 hours north to get away from the humidity of the deep south. On these trips we usually pick up an audio book. On our trip last summer we chose By the Sword. She was unfamiliar with the RPJ series, so I enjoyed explaining the intracacies of the plot to her. (As you can tell by the length of this post, the sound of my own voice can keep me occupied indefinately.) After the book finished, she asked a great question. "Do I think they would ever make a movie about the book(s) of RPJ series?" What was really interesting though was where this discussion eventually led.

I do not think a movie would do justice to an involved series like RPJ. I think the format would have to be something closer to the series carried on Showtime or HBO like a Dexter or Sopranos. The brilliance of Wilson's series is in the minutiae. Its the intricate web that prevents the reader from having to make huge leaps of faith that make them unique. He builds a slippery slope that you can naturally slide down. So to have a successful translation to a medium like film a feel like you have got to be able to step outside of the usual time constraints associated with a movie or small series. You have to have enough time to educate the viewing audience of all the background themes at play.

Then the real question came to the forefront who would play Jack and who would play Gia?

The actor to play Jack has to be able to understate his acting. He has to fit the role of "ordinary joe." He cannot be overly charismatic and still be true to the character. At the same time, he has to be able to turn on the charisma and rage and emotion that is sometimes necessary in the novels.

So the question is, do you agree with the format? And who do you pick to play Jack and Gia?

I haven't figured out the Jack yet, but I like Shannon Sossamon for Gia.

Right now I think Trevor Mathews would be a good Jack. He played in Jack Brooks Monster Slayer.

Gia became an annoying character for me, but in the most recent books, she has been far more likeable, and not so intrusive. Still, I wouldn't really care about the actress playing Gia as much as who would play Kolabati. Her character had a larger impact in The Tomb.

A question for the board.. (long) - Peter - 07-25-2011

AlvinFox Wrote:Some time ago I read of how Ron Howard is approaching The Dark Tower movies/ tv series and thought that the same approach could definitely work for RJ.

I had heard something about this but that is a really novel approach! It could work really well for the RJ series, make the films the highlight episodes with the tv series filling in the gaps. It might need some re-writing but I'm sure it's do-able.

But, I still have a bad feeling about the whole RJ Film thing, given that at the moment most of Hollywood's output seems to be bad re-makes.