RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Last Exorcism - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Last Exorcism (/thread-3906.html)

The Last Exorcism - saynomore - 09-04-2010

The last movie I saw got a standing ovation. This one, The Last Exorcism, got a leaving ovation. As a matter of fact, about two dozen people walked out during the first thirty minutes of the 100 minute movie. Whether they walked out because the movie was so scary or a waste of time is a matter of debate. As it was, I was the only one left to watch the last hour of the movie. If you visit Rotten Tomatoes, the movie review website, as I did, you'll find that 26% of the reviews are bad, and 74% are good. So, if 24 people walked out of the movie and only one person remained, well, you see, the mathematics just don't add up. By Rotten Tomatoes numbers, seven people should have walked out and 18 people should have remained to watch the movie.

Anyway... this movie tells the story of a charlatan exorcist/preacher who decides to film his last exorcism to document the phony business underlying religion for money. Without giving away too much, this movie is not about an exorcism, as the movie twists and turns before it delivers its knockout "blow" at the finale, albeit Blair Witch-style. Yes, there is gore, but if you decide to stay for the whole movie, I promise you that you will be rewarded.

Or you can wait for the rental and fast-forward to the ending.

I liked this movie alot... even if I were the only one in the theater giving it a standing ovation.

AC

The Last Exorcism - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 09-04-2010

saynomore Wrote:The last movie I saw got a standing ovation. This one, The Last Exorcism, got a leaving ovation. As a matter of fact, about two dozen people walked out during the first thirty minutes of the 100 minute movie. Whether they walked out because the movie was so scary or a waste of time is a matter of debate. As it was, I was the only one left to watch the last hour of the movie. If you visit Rotten Tomatoes, the movie review website, as I did, you'll find that 26% of the reviews are bad, and 74% are good. So, if 24 people walked out of the movie and only one person remained, well, you see, the mathematics just don't add up. By Rotten Tomatoes numbers, seven people should have walked out and 18 people should have remained to watch the movie.

Anyway... this movie tells the story of a charlatan exorcist/preacher who decides to film his last exorcism to document the phony business underlying religion for money. Without giving away too much, this movie is not about an exorcism, as the movie twists and turns before it delivers its knockout "blow" at the finale, albeit Blair Witch-style. Yes, there is gore, but if you decide to stay for the whole movie, I promise you that you will be rewarded.

I liked this movie alot... even if I were the only one in the theater giving it a standing ovation.

AC

The NYC reviews were fairly putrid.

And watching exorcism movies is dangerous, because as the Louvin Brothers knew,

SATAN IS REAL! :eek6::eek::eek6::eek::eek6::eek::eek6:

The Last Exorcism - The Mad American - 09-04-2010

saynomore Wrote:The last movie I saw got a standing ovation. This one, The Last Exorcism, got a leaving ovation. As a matter of fact, about two dozen people walked out during the first thirty minutes of the 100 minute movie. Whether they walked out because the movie was so scary or a waste of time is a matter of debate. As it was, I was the only one left to watch the last hour of the movie. If you visit Rotten Tomatoes, the movie review website, as I did, you'll find that 26% of the reviews are bad, and 74% are good. So, if 24 people walked out of the movie and only one person remained, well, you see, the mathematics just don't add up. By Rotten Tomatoes numbers, seven people should have walked out and 18 people should have remained to watch the movie.

AC

So you didn't have any issues with the ending? I have heard a lot of other people say that had ruined the movie for them. A couple of friends went to see it the other night (I had a class I couldn't skip) and they loved it up until the ending. I already have discussed the ending with them, I won't list any specifics but it does seem to be kind of a silly ending, but maybe that is just the influence of people who didn't like it.

The Last Exorcism - saynomore - 09-04-2010

The Mad American Wrote:So you didn't have any issues with the ending? I have heard a lot of other people say that had ruined the movie for them. A couple of friends went to see it the other night (I had a class I couldn't skip) and they loved it up until the ending. I already have discussed the ending with them, I won't list any specifics but it does seem to be kind of a silly ending, but maybe that is just the influence of people who didn't like it.

That's what I mean about it not being an exorcism movie. All the parts are there leading up to that ending, but we are misled by the exorcism stuff. I thought the O'Henry ending was worthy of H.P. Lovecraft. But this movie requires a second viewing, and given the short release and lack of attendance, I think the movie will be pulled before that will happen.

AC

P.S. SPOILER: [SPOILER]Reminded me of The Dunwich Horror.[/SPOILER]

The Last Exorcism - GeraldRice - 09-08-2010

Glad I never saw that DH movie. Didn't spoil anything for me.

The Last Exorcism - saynomore - 09-19-2010

yubaixin19 Wrote:Valuable information.

I'd like to thank yuba for keeping this thread alive. It does merit consideration given that the shocking ending to this film has actually increased attendance.

AC

P.S. Ah, well.