RepairmanJack.com Forums
Bad Old Men - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Bad Old Men (/thread-3832.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bad Old Men - yaksha - 06-17-2010

So yeah, new member, figured I'd start things off with a bang. I read The Tomb about a month ago, and I've pretty much zoomed through the series to date. I usually laze through books, take a week or so to finish it. About the only authors I read quickly are King and Koontz. And then I found Wilson. I was first recommended by my mother, and let me say I haven't regretted it yet.

Let me start off simple. Some people think it might be an insult to read through a book quickly. I usually prefer it if I really like the author. It's so very easy to miss subtle things on your first read, so I do my best to finish it as quickly as I can, and then come back when I'm free, to really appreciate the complex stuff. If I take forever to finish a book, then I spend more time on the plot than on the good stuff. And with Wilson's nuanced books, there's no way I'm going to get everything on one read.

So far, I've been thoroughly impressed. Repairman Jack has drawn me in, for all the good reasons. Just as Wilson said in his article about King; I'm a mutant, and proud of it. I've always voraciously sought horror flicks and books, and I take every chance I can to watch the classics; Dracula,The Blob...Needless to say, I got hooked after just a bit. The Otherness, our good friend R, and even The Lady, have instilled me with nothing but a sense of wonder at such a finely crafted world, with such great influences.

More than just the story itself, I've been constantly impressed by the author. Wilson is staggeringly good, not just at writing a story, but at being thorough. He clearly does his research with the guns, among other things(if not him, we do). He's quite good at detailing things so they flow smoothly, and so things make sense. Even manages to keep a character like Jack firmly rooted in the real and the possible, against such an unreal enemy. I've always loved people that could stay real, when it's so easy to 'cheat'; to give Jack something besides his tenacity and his contacts, to make him clearly a cut above the rest.

And, even more than his writing, his sheer personality. I'm always amazed by how caught up he is with the times. For a 64 year old man, Wilson still knows how things go. Clearly he's accustomed to the internet, or he wouldn't be here. He's shockingly good at making even the most passing moments of young, saggy-pantsed teenagers in his literature convincing. Every time he makes use of younger characters, from his con-men in All The Rage to his young, "Balls in your mouth" Kickers of Bloodlines, I feel as if I'm being played, as if the man we're reading isn't even half the age he reports; there's no denying it, Wilson isn't by any means your usual old man. And I hope we can look forward to many more years, and I can only hope I'm as much fun when I'm in my sixties.

This drink's on me, guys. Here's to plenty more, both beers and books. :cheers:

Bad Old Men - The Mad American - 06-17-2010

Welcome to the board Yaksha. You will definitely find a lot of people who share your opinions on FPW's work here.

Bad Old Men - KRW - 06-17-2010

yaksha Wrote:So yeah, new member, figured I'd start things off with a bang. I read The Tomb about a month ago, and I've pretty much zoomed through the series to date. I usually laze through books, take a week or so to finish it. About the only authors I read quickly are King and Koontz. And then I found Wilson. I was first recommended by my mother, and let me say I haven't regretted it yet.

Let me start off simple. Some people think it might be an insult to read through a book quickly. I usually prefer it if I really like the author. It's so very easy to miss subtle things on your first read, so I do my best to finish it as quickly as I can, and then come back when I'm free, to really appreciate the complex stuff. If I take forever to finish a book, then I spend more time on the plot than on the good stuff. And with Wilson's nuanced books, there's no way I'm going to get everything on one read.

So far, I've been thoroughly impressed. Repairman Jack has drawn me in, for all the good reasons. Just as Wilson said in his article about King; I'm a mutant, and proud of it. I've always voraciously sought horror flicks and books, and I take every chance I can to watch the classics; Dracula,The Blob...Needless to say, I got hooked after just a bit. The Otherness, our good friend R, and even The Lady, have instilled me with nothing but a sense of wonder at such a finely crafted world, with such great influences.

More than just the story itself, I've been constantly impressed by the author. Wilson is staggeringly good, not just at writing a story, but at being thorough. He clearly does his research with the guns, among other things(if not him, we do). He's quite good at detailing things so they flow smoothly, and so things make sense. Even manages to keep a character like Jack firmly rooted in the real and the possible, against such an unreal enemy. I've always loved people that could stay real, when it's so easy to 'cheat'; to give Jack something besides his tenacity and his contacts, to make him clearly a cut above the rest.

And, even more than his writing, his sheer personality. I'm always amazed by how caught up he is with the times. For a 64 year old man, Wilson still knows how things go. Clearly he's accustomed to the internet, or he wouldn't be here. He's shockingly good at making even the most passing moments of young, saggy-pantsed teenagers in his literature convincing. Every time he makes use of younger characters, from his con-men in All The Rage to his young, "Balls in your mouth" Kickers of Bloodlines, I feel as if I'm being played, as if the man we're reading isn't even half the age he reports; there's no denying it, Wilson isn't by any means your usual old man. And I hope we can look forward to many more years, and I can only hope I'm as much fun when I'm in my sixties.

This drink's on me, guys. Here's to plenty more, both beers and books. :cheers:

Welcome to the board Yaksha!! Your post comes off like a first appearance at an A.A. meeting. Maybe it isBig Grin... I think most everyone here is an FPW addict.Wink I know my story is floating around here somewhere.

One thing we have in common is that he snagged me at a pretty young age too, for pretty much the same reasons you stated above. Looking forwards to hearing more from you.

Bad Old Men - Brian - 06-17-2010

Try some of The Man's other fiction, Yaksha. Black Wind, The LaNague books, Midnight Mass, to name a few. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And, welcome.

KRW Wrote:You mean he writes non-fiction too?Big Grin

Looks like I forgot a word there, huh?

Fixed, and thanks.

Bad Old Men - KRW - 06-17-2010

Brian Wrote:Looks like I forgot a word there, huh?

Fixed, and thanks.

Welcome Brian. Just having some fun. I deleted my post..so no hard feelings?Cool

Funny too... the word you forgot was "other". That one word describes FPW's world so well...dontcha think?

KRW Wrote:Welcome Brian. Just having some fun. I deleted my post..so no hard feelings?Cool

I didn't take it that way to begin with. So, no problem.

KRW Wrote:Funny too... the word you forgot was "other". That one word describes FPW's world so well...dontcha think?

Yes, a definite "otherness" presence prevails through-out so many stories. That's half the challenge really. Just how many references or hints to the Otherness one can find.

Bad Old Men - Alvin Fox - 06-18-2010

I'm having trouble deciding which is worse: A novel where the dialogue for kids and teens is laughably bad or where it's so spot on but it's excessively used. I don't think I'll ever read Christopher Moore's Bite Me because I've met girls who talk exactly like Abby and I find it incredibly annoying.

Paul, please don't ever write a novel where it's just Dawn talking in the first person. That would, like, be a totes epic fail. Lol.

Bad Old Men - t4terrific - 06-18-2010

Repairman Jack is one of my favorite fictional characters. In a way, I am looking forward to seeing his series coming to an end. I would like to see a stand alone RJ book come out one day (I know our favorite author has said he figures to revisit other parts of The Repairman Jack story again.). I'm looking forward to getting some different kinds of stories from FPW though.

Bad Old Men - yaksha - 06-18-2010

So glad to see all these guys welcoming the new guy. Makes me feel welcome.

Yeah, I've always found it a little annoying when people make excessive use of slang, or try to act like they're hip when they're clearly just posing. FPW at least manages to make it convincing, uses it sparingly enough, and even lampshades it often enough that I have no doubt he's heard these things said before.

And I'm working on grabbing some of the other ones; closest library moved a day or two ago, so I've been roaming around town trying to find another one that I can start making regular visits to.

And I am curious about what happens after Rasalom got beat; does the Otherness just give up, or what? I'd like to see a couple books where we find out who the new Adversary is, or what else the Otherness is planning to get what it needs.