RepairmanJack.com Forums
Shutter Island - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Shutter Island (/thread-3744.html)

Pages: 1 2

Shutter Island - Tony H - 03-02-2010

http://www.genrefinity.net/content/233-shutter-flaps-wind.html

Here is my review for Martin Scorses' "Shutter Island". I have mixed feelings about this one.

Shutter Island - cobalt - 03-02-2010

Thanks Tony...I'll wait for RedBox or Netflix.

Shutter Island - ccosborne3 - 03-02-2010

Wer'e you trying to speak in a different voice on that one Tony? Didn't sound like you at all. Don't get me wrong it was exceedingly well written, It just didn't sound like you.

Shutter Island - t4terrific - 03-03-2010

I'm in Miami, on business. Boredom overtook me tonight, so I took in a movie. I was torn between Shutter Island and The Crazies. I still intend to see The Crazies, but how could I pass on Scorsese?

I must say, it was my favorite Scorsese since Gangs of New York. I never read the book, but it must have been a dandy. I will only say the ending, while I expected similar, was still surprising to me. I can't believe I didn't start putting the pieces together earlier, but it's better to be enlightened than confirmed.

Anyway 8 out of 10, and one of Martin's better films.

P.S., for a guy who used to strongly dislike DiCaprio, I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed his work over the last 8 or 9 years. He's had quite a few great performances in some great films. I guess Scorsese can do that to an actor (see Robert De Niro).

Shutter Island - Tony H - 03-03-2010

ccosborne3 Wrote:Wer'e you trying to speak in a different voice on that one Tony? Didn't sound like you at all. Don't get me wrong it was exceedingly well written, It just didn't sound like you.

I just wrote it in a journalistic voice as opposed to casual conversational voice.

Shutter Island - Tony H - 03-03-2010

t4terrific Wrote:I'm in Miami, on business. Boredom overtook me tonight, so I took in a movie. I was torn between Shutter Island and The Crazies. I still intend to see The Crazies, but how could I pass on Scorsese?

I must say, it was my favorite Scorsese since Gangs of New York. I never read the book, but it must have been a dandy. I will only say the ending, while I expected similar, was still surprising to me. I can't believe I didn't start putting the pieces together earlier, but it's better to be enlightened than confirmed.

Anyway 8 out of 10, and one of Martin's better films.

P.S., for a guy who used to strongly dislike DiCaprio, I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed his work over the last 8 or 9 years. He's had quite a few great performances in some great films. I guess Scorsese can do that to an actor (see Robert De Niro).

I was just really torn over the ending. It works...but its a cheat and makes the first two hours inconsequential. I LOVED the first 2 hours...the "twist" was just lame...though considering what the main character had been through in his life it should not have come as a surprise that what happened actually happened.

How was that for cryptic?

Shutter Island - Sigokat - 03-05-2010

I enjoyed it. So, Tony, you are wrong.

Shutter Island - Tony H - 03-05-2010

sigokat Wrote:I enjoyed it. So, Tony, you are wrong.

Motherfucker What?!?!?! No you dih'int! I demand you report immediately to the public apology thread.

Shutter Island - t4terrific - 03-05-2010

AsMoral Wrote:I was just really torn over the ending. It works...but its a cheat and makes the first two hours inconsequential. I LOVED the first 2 hours...the "twist" was just lame...though considering what the main character had been through in his life it should not have come as a surprise that what happened actually happened.

How was that for cryptic?

It wasn't the ending I wanted. I wanted the story line to play out. I was pleased with it though. I thought the final scene was a good one. The final line left me thinking.

I will say, I probably won't watch the film over and over again. Like The Sixth Sense, once you know the truth, it loses it's viewing value.

Shutter Island - t4terrific - 03-05-2010

AsMoral Wrote:Motherfucker What?!?!?! No you dih'int! .

Your going ganster there pahdna?Big Grin