RepairmanJack.com Forums
Y'ombres - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Y'ombres (/thread-3603.html)

Pages: 1 2

Y'ombres - Monquito - 11-03-2009

Dunno what the etiquette is here for new members, but in case an intro is required, here goes. Info is presented in random bullet points as I think of them. Let the incoherent rambling commence........

- 36yo male, living in Canberra, Australia. Married to a lovely NYC lady who posts here as "Al Ramos". God knows what she sees in me. Weird Americans.....

- Got into FPW around 2007, after buying a copy of 'The Keep' in NYC. I was very reluctant to read any RJ novels, because I bloody hate 'series' with a passion. I can't think of any other series where I haven't tired of the charcters/formula by the middle of the second book. That Rj is still a compelling tale all these books later is a wonderful tribute to FPW's concise, non-wanky writing style.

I particularly enjoy the way the supernatural elements are kept ambiguous enough so they stay menacing rather than silly.

- Politically, if anyone cares, I'm a libertarian. I have a blog that FPW linked to once on his twitter page. Assuming it was actually him of course.

- I spend my non-reading spare time riding motorcycles and getting death threats from 9/11 'truther' idiots. The latter is due to my winning personality I guess.

- FPW books are damned near impossible to find here. I bought all of mine while in NYC, or off the web. Just ordered 'Ground Zero', 'The Touch' and 'Reborn'. Thank gawd for the internet and overseas holidays.

- I'm probably alone on this, but I don't want to see any RJ novels made into movies. I don't want to see anyone else's visualisation of a Rakosh, Kusum, Kolabati or - god help us all - another 'Orangutang Darth Vader' version of Rasalom.

I would love to see a film version of Mauricio though Big Grin

- Re. the movie 'The Keep' - as a Michael Mann fanboy this is very painful for me to think about. Christ, what a mess.

- When I'm reading RJ novels, I'll often ask the missus about a NYC location, ie. "so, does this place exist? Have I been to it?". I think having seen NYC has greatly added to my enjoyment of the novels. A pity there's no real Julios. Sounds like my kinda place.

Anyway, enough from me.

Cheers,
Tex

Y'ombres - Aprilis - 11-03-2009

Monquito Wrote:- I'm probably alone on this, but I don't want to see any RJ novels made into movies. I don't want to see anyone else's visualisation of a Rakosh, Kusum, Kolabati or - god help us all - another 'Orangutang Darth Vader' version of Rasalom.

Cheers,
Tex

I thought he looked like Skeletor .. but there was that Jedi mind trick Glenn did to get past the Nazi's
Smile

Y'ombres - t4terrific - 11-04-2009

Hello. Welcome.

The first fpw book I read was The Tomb. I really dug rj and couldn't wait to read more. Luckilly there were already more RJ novels out. The Haunted Air was about to be released. I had plenty of catching up to do before Gateways.

I tend to like reading series. It takes less time to get into the characters.

Y'ombres - cobalt - 11-04-2009

Welcome to the board Monquito.

Y'ombres - Silverfish - 11-04-2009

Hi and welcome to the board!

Y'ombres - webby - 11-04-2009

Monquito Wrote:Dunno what the etiquette is here for new members, but in case an intro is required, here goes. Info is presented in random bullet points as I think of them. Let the incoherent rambling commence........

- 36yo male, living in Canberra, Australia. Married to a lovely NYC lady who posts here as "Al Ramos". God knows what she sees in me. Weird Americans.....

- Got into FPW around 2007, after buying a copy of 'The Keep' in NYC. I was very reluctant to read any RJ novels, because I bloody hate 'series' with a passion. I can't think of any other series where I haven't tired of the charcters/formula by the middle of the second book. That Rj is still a compelling tale all these books later is a wonderful tribute to FPW's concise, non-wanky writing style.

I particularly enjoy the way the supernatural elements are kept ambiguous enough so they stay menacing rather than silly.

- Politically, if anyone cares, I'm a libertarian. I have a blog that FPW linked to once on his twitter page. Assuming it was actually him of course.

- I spend my non-reading spare time riding motorcycles and getting death threats from 9/11 'truther' idiots. The latter is due to my winning personality I guess.

- FPW books are damned near impossible to find here. I bought all of mine while in NYC, or off the web. Just ordered 'Ground Zero', 'The Touch' and 'Reborn'. Thank gawd for the internet and overseas holidays.

- I'm probably alone on this, but I don't want to see any RJ novels made into movies. I don't want to see anyone else's visualisation of a Rakosh, Kusum, Kolabati or - god help us all - another 'Orangutang Darth Vader' version of Rasalom.

- Re. the movie 'The Keep' - as a Michael Mann fanboy this is very painful for me to think about. Christ, what a mess.

- When I'm reading RJ novels, I'll often ask the missus about a NYC location, ie. "so, does this place exist? Have I been to it?". I think having seen NYC has greatly added to my enjoyment of the novels. A pity there's no real Julios. Sounds like my kinda place.

Anyway, enough from me.

Cheers,
Tex

[Image: welcome.gif]

Sounds like you'll feel right at home around here.

Y'ombres - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 11-05-2009

Monquito Wrote:Dunno what the etiquette is here for new members, but in case an intro is required, here goes. Info is presented in random bullet points as I think of them. Let the incoherent rambling commence........

Anyway, enough from me.

Cheers,
Tex

Welcome, monquito. Stick with the gang and have some fun.

That's at your own risk, of course.

Y'ombres - IanSF - 11-05-2009

First off, welcome to the forum, lots to entertain you here. :hello:
Monquito Wrote:- FPW books are damned near impossible to find here. I bought all of mine while in NYC, or off the web. Just ordered 'Ground Zero', 'The Touch' and 'Reborn'. Thank gawd for the internet and overseas holidays.

We have the same problem here in the UK. Ground Zero was nowhere to be seen in any bookshop on launch day. Most shops have never heard of FPW when you ask at the Customer Enquiry counter. They had to look at Amazon's website before now just to find out what titles he's written. Rolleyes
As you say, thanks for the internet. I've bought nearly all my collection from eBay or AbeBooks and some of the 'special editions' direct from the publishers.

Y'ombres - saynomore - 11-05-2009

Hi. How you? What this mean? "getting death threats from 9/11 'truther' idiots."

AC

P.S. Like to say welcome, but it seems you've always been here. Vuja De.

Y'ombres - Yeratel - 11-05-2009

IanSF Wrote:We have the same problem here in the UK. Ground Zero was nowhere to be seen in any bookshop on launch day. Most shops have never heard of FPW when you ask at the Customer Enquiry counter. They had to look at Amazon's website before now just to find out what titles he's written. Rolleyes
As you say, thanks for the internet. I've bought nearly all my collection from eBay or AbeBooks and some of the 'special editions' direct from the publishers.
Sounds like you've been shopping here:
[Image: Bookstore.jpg]