RepairmanJack.com Forums
Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? (/thread-3550.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Legion - 09-17-2009

Would Jack carry with an empty chamber? I'm almost finished reading ground zero and this keeps popping up. Why in the world would Jack carry without having a round chambered? Especially on a Glock?

For somebody in Jacks position, who has been using and depending on firearms to carry in such a manner seems downright unlikely and insane. In fact, I feel that jack would consider that to be a death sentence.

Am I the only one who feels this is out of character?

Also, Jacks choice of a Glock 19... The Glock 23 ( what I currently carry) is chambered in 40. It is the exact same dimensions as the 19, but has more power. ( I'm not looking to get into a take-down power debate here. I know many feel there is no such thing). Sure, there is a difference of two rounds ( the 19 holding 15+1, the 23 holding 13+1), but I don't see that as two much of a problem, especially since Jack is a good shot, and if he can't get the job done with 13 rounds, two more probably won't matter.

In the begining of the series, Jack was carrying a Semerling, chambered in 45. It was his baby and the books often mentioned it being a 45, as that was his preferred round. I honestly don't see Jack going down to a 9mm, especially when a 40 is available in what is essentially the exact same gun.

Thoughts, opinions? Gunnies, I'm hoping to really hear from y'all on this one, as these are becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine with the series.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 09-17-2009

Legion Wrote:Would Jack carry with an empty chamber? I'm almost finished reading ground zero and this keeps popping up. Why in the world would Jack carry without having a round chambered? Especially on a Glock?

For somebody in Jacks position, who has been using and depending on firearms to carry in such a manner seems downright unlikely and insane. In fact, I feel that jack would consider that to be a death sentence.

Also, Jacks choice of a Glock 19... The Glock 23 ( what I currently carry) is chambered in 40. It is the exact same dimensions as the 19, but has more power. ( I'm not looking to get into a take-down power debate here. I know many feel there is no such thing). Sure, there is a difference of two rounds ( the 19 holding 15+1, the 23 holding 13+1), but I don't see that as two much of a problem, especially since Jack is a good shot, and if he can't get the job done with 13 rounds, two more probably won't matter.

In the begining of the series, Jack was carrying a Semerling, chambered in 45. It was his baby and the books often mentioned it being a 45, as that was his preferred round. I honestly don't see Jack going down to a 9mm, especially when a 40 is available in what is essentially the exact same gun.

Thoughts, opinions? Gunnies, I'm hoping to really hear from y'all on this one, as these are becoming a bit of a pet peeve of mine with the series.
What scene was that, Steve? I'm disremembering.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - KRW - 09-17-2009

Legion Wrote:Would Jack carry with an empty chamber? I'm almost finished reading ground zero and this keeps popping up. Why in the world would Jack carry without having a round chambered? Especially on a Glock?

You said it yourself, Jacks a good shot. I think what Jack is really worried about is a sustained gunfight, and that being the case, more is better. Think about it, he doesn't carry spare clips. He rarely if ever would need them because of his methods of fighting. But even in this book, at one point he was adding up the ammo he had spent and was worried about his reserves. Stopping power is great, and there are many arguments for it. But someone is just as dead with a 9mm through their heart as they are with a .40. The difference is Jack has more ammo left .

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - cobalt - 09-18-2009

Glocks don't have a safety. If you carry the glock in the correct holster, one that covers the trigger...then no problem. With a round in the chamber...well ya might shoot something.....besides the gun..... off.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - GunslingerAW - 09-18-2009

I thought the reason Jack went with the 9mm is because his backup is also a 9mm and he wanted to have the same types of ammo for both weapons. The Glock 19 and some 9mm from Kel-Tec. Its very possible that I am mistaken.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - murelz - 09-18-2009

GunslingerAW Wrote:I thought the reason Jack went with the 9mm is because his backup is also a 9mm and he wanted to have the same types of ammo for both weapons. The Glock 19 and some 9mm from Kel-Tec. Its very possible that I am mistaken.
You are correct in this. When he had to dump the semmerling he went with the 9mm backup because of the same ammo. He was already carrying a 9mm as his main. KRW is right, the main reasoning behind this is because of Jack's fighting style. He doesn't need to worry about stopping power completely, he wants quantity. Coupled with the fact that he carries a hollowpoint/hardball mix in the clip, he's pretty well covered. His guns aren't a major factor of his fixits they are an insurance policy to make sure he comes out alive if something happens.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - t4terrific - 09-18-2009

Legion Wrote:especially since Jack is a good shot, and if he can't get the job done with 13 rounds, two more probably won't matter.

I remember him saying, more than once, that he isn't a great shot.

BTW, I also have a Glock 23. I love it. If 15 rounds is needed, simply use a 15 round clip from a Glock 22. I have several 13's and 15's. I use the 15 rounders for target shooting (slightly less reloading).

I also carry the chamber empty. It makes me a little more comfortable, and I can chamber a round pretty quickly. I would lose a quick draw contest anyway.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Legion - 09-18-2009

cobalt79 Wrote:Glocks don't have a safety. If you carry the glock in the correct holster, one that covers the trigger...then no problem. With a round in the chamber...well ya might shoot something.....besides the gun..... off.

But that's part of my argument. Somebody in Jacks position would be comfortable enough to carry chambered. He knows the proper way to draw, he's got top of the line gear.

As for his accuracy, I know that both he and Abe have cracked wise about it over the years, but in reality (within the fictional series) Jacks a damned good shot. Look at what he did to that guy on the subway who decided the time had come to go postal.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Ken Valentine - 09-18-2009

In my view it's because the Glock safety . . . ain't safe.

Quote:For somebody in Jacks position, who has been using and depending on firearms to carry in such a manner seems downright unlikely and insane. In fact, I feel that jack would consider that to be a death sentence.
You get a little dust (or pocket lint) in that flimsy trigger block on a Glock, and it gets slightly stiff and won't return to its full "safe" position.

In other words, it won't block the trigger -- very dangerous.

Quote:Am I the only one who feels this is out of character?
Probably.

Because having an empty chamber IS Jack's character.

Quote:In the begining of the series, Jack was carrying a Semerling, chambered in 45. It was his baby and the books often mentioned it being a 45, as that was his preferred round. I honestly don't see Jack going down to a 9mm, especially when a 40 is available in what is essentially the exact same gun.
In the beginning of the series, Jack also had a Ruger Security Six in 357 Magnum, that was fitted with a silencer. (That's what he shot the Mother Rakosh with.)

He carried the Semmerling because it was so small and therefore easily concealable.

Ken V.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Ken Valentine - 09-18-2009

murelz Wrote:You are correct in this. When he had to dump the semmerling he went with the 9mm backup because of the same ammo.
When he got rid of the 45, he went to an AMT (Arcadia Machine Tool) 380 "Back-up."

Ken V.