RepairmanJack.com Forums
Finished Black Wind - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Finished Black Wind (/thread-3429.html)

Pages: 1 2

Finished Black Wind - dezboi - 05-26-2009

Just finished reading Black Wind on Sunday. Quite an enjoyable read. It felt epic in building to the events of WW2. As always, FPW does a wonderful job of putting you as the reader into the head of his characters and you sympathize with them (well, you mostly sypathize).

My only complaint is the inconsistent voice (Frank's perspective is in 1st person while the others are 3rd person limited): it sometimes made for awkward transitions and detracted from the story when I was really getting into the narrative. I'm no writer though; just my opinion as a reader.

FPW Question: Was there a specific reason for this switch in voice?

Finished Black Wind - Al Meyer - 05-26-2009

Black Wind is the second best book of The Man.

Finished Black Wind - Ken Valentine - 05-26-2009

dezboi Wrote:Just finished reading Black Wind on Sunday. Quite an enjoyable read. It felt epic in building to the events of WW2. As always, FPW does a wonderful job of putting you as the reader into the head of his characters and you sympathize with them (well, you mostly sypathize).

My only complaint is the inconsistent voice (Frank's perspective is in 1st person while the others are 3rd person limited): it sometimes made for awkward transitions and detracted from the story when I was really getting into the narrative. I'm no writer though; just my opinion as a reader.

The story was effectively BY Frank, and ABOUT everybody else.

Frank was written in first-person narrative, and everything else was written in third-person "omnicient observer."

If everyone was written in first person, it would be too confusing. -- and the story wouldn't flow very well.

Ken V.

Finished Black Wind - dezboi - 05-26-2009

Ken -- I understand what you are saying, but....

Obviously, the story cannot be told exclusively from Frank's POV, as many details of the other characters would be lost, and you are right about having all characters writing in 1st person, that it would entirely confusing.

My argument about what you write is that it is BY Frank. Other than the the first person narrative sections and the preface at the beginning of the story ("If you are reading this, I'm dead...") he is no more essential a character to the story as Meiko, Matsuo, or Hiroki.

While I was really into the story, I had to really pause when the writing goes from he or she did x,yz, to I did x,y,z. It really broke the flow of the narrative for me. I contend that it might have flowed better if there weren't switches from 3rd to 1st person...

This is a nuance, but also, I would not call the perspective third person "omniscient" observer, either, but definitely third person limited, as we are limited to what a particular character sees during that particular section of the story...it's been something I've noticed about FPWs writing is that, while a story may be told from several different characters throughout the tale, he never spontaneously switches a POV between characters in a scene (there is always an obvious break when the POV changes).

Okay -- I'm done blathering; you may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Finished Black Wind - volshan - 05-26-2009

dezboi Wrote:...
While I was really into the story, I had to really pause when the writing goes from he or she did x,yz, to I did x,y,z. It really broke the flow of the narrative for me. I contend that it might have flowed better if there weren't switches from 3rd to 1st person...

I can see what you're saying, and can see how it might be distracting (and is to me when an author does it without a clear break), but didn't find it so in Black Wind.

I not only didn't find it distracting, but occasionally helpful, as it forced me, at times, to recall what POV we were currently seeing.

Al, Black Wind is certainly my favorite of The Man's, and I think his best. What do you put ahead of it?

Volsh

Finished Black Wind - Al Meyer - 05-27-2009

volshan Wrote:Al, Black Wind is certainly my favorite of The Man's, and I think his best. What do you put ahead of it?

Volsh

Volsh, for me, The Keep. I think the plot is awesome.

Finished Black Wind - Brian - 05-27-2009

The Keep was the first book I had read by The Man. It still is my all around favorite. Black Wind comes in third for me, The Haunted Air is numero 2.

Finished Black Wind - Karithna - 05-28-2009

Black Wind is definitely my favorite FPW book. Legacies would be #2.

Finished Black Wind - t4terrific - 05-29-2009

dezboi Wrote:My only complaint is the inconsistent voice (Frank's perspective is in 1st person while the others are 3rd person limited): it sometimes made for awkward transitions and detracted from the story when I was really getting into the narrative. I'm no writer though; just my opinion as a reader.

I read Black Wind, and loved it. It's one of my favorite stories. I gave it to my mom and talked it up a lot. She said she never finished it. She said the constant change in perspective and settings made it too hard for her to get into.

Finished Black Wind - t4terrific - 05-29-2009

volshan Wrote:What do you put ahead of it?

Volsh

The Tomb.