RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Keep - The Game - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: The Keep - The Game (/thread-3113.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Keep - The Game - Al Meyer - 10-25-2008

Hello folks. Last year, on July 2007, I have contact Paul about to make a game about The Keep.

Note: I´m a software developer, but my area is medical/dental, but I like to make games.

I have started then a First Person style game about The Keep (by far, my favourite Paul´s book). It is a totally free game, not commercial and it was done in my spare time (i don´t have many Wink ) It take me a full year, working here and there to make and collect assets to build it.

It´s a Sokoban type game, in Fisrt Person Big Grin We have to move crates, move stones, etc, etc, to win each level of the game (like look around on the Village around the Keep to find stuff, etc, etc). Off course you have to shhot some Nazi zombies, too, but not too much.

It´s a "one man show". I´m making it as a hobby, and Paul allow me to start this thread to show the progress (now in final stages) and allow people download the game when I get it playable. In a few days, I will post some screenshots (in game) and a video of my game play. I think in a month or so, the download will be available.

The game don´t have a commercial quality, of course, but I´m sure is pretty decent to make we in "The Keep" mood. Smile

Sorry for my english, I´m from Brazil. Here our language is mix of Sumerian and Aramaic. Smile

Cheers

The Keep - The Game - Ken Valentine - 10-25-2008

Al Meyer Wrote:Hello folks. Last year, on July 2007, I have contact Paul about to make a game about The Keep.
Many of us here remember when you started working on the game, in fact, it wasn't but a few months ago when someone asked where you had gone, and what happened to the game you were creating.

It sounds like fun.

Welcome back!

Ken V.

The Keep - The Game - Legion - 10-25-2008

Al Meyer Wrote:Hello folks. Last year, on July 2007, I have contact Paul about to make a game about The Keep.

Note: I´m a software developer, but my area is medical/dental, but I like to make games.

I have started then a First Person style game about The Keep (by far, my favourite Paul´s book). It is a totally free game, not commercial and it was done in my spare time (i don´t have many Wink ) It take me a full year, working here and there to make and collect assets to build it.

It´s a Sokoban type game, in Fisrt Person Big Grin We have to move crates, move stones, etc, etc, to win each level of the game (like look around on the Village around the Keep to find stuff, etc, etc). Off course you have to shhot some Nazi zombies, too, but not too much.

It´s a "one man show". I´m making it as a hobby, and Paul allow me to start this thread to show the progress (now in final stages) and allow people download the game when I get it playable. In a few days, I will post some screenshots (in game) and a video of my game play. I think in a month or so, the download will be available.

The game don´t have a commercial quality, of course, but I´m sure is pretty decent to make we in "The Keep" mood. Smile

Sorry for my english, I´m from Brazil. Here our language is mix of Sumerian and Aramaic. Smile

Cheers

Hey! Wondered where you'd gone. Glad to hear its moving along. I presume the game is flash based??

And don't worry about the english. You're doing great. We Jack fanatics have a global reach.

Look forward to playing it.

The Keep - The Game - Al Meyer - 10-25-2008

Hi. No, it´s not a Flash game. The game visual is like Counter Strike, of Half Life. It will not be a small download, but, with a broadband connection, it is not an issue. It´s not a simple game. It´s a complex game. I will post some screenshots in a few days. I´m just making the game HUD (sprites on screen) looks better. I would like to use some music from Tangerine Dream, but it is copyrighted Smile As I told Paul, I did not use the idea from Keep´s movie. I prefer design the Keep with my own thoughts. The book is very well written, but the keep´s internal architecture is not too much detailed on the book, specially on the stars inside the main tower, so, I had to make some assumptions and modify some things here and there. I freely use the concept of "the otherness" (bad areas to raise your game health), so, you have to complete puzzles and avoid be capture from "the otherness". hehe

PS: I have another game called "The Otherness", but in much more early stages. Let we started with the Keep, then pass to the other. I much say it is a lot of fun to make this.

Of course I will listeb all sugestions that will come. Smile

PS: Last year I have put some screenshots. They really changed.

The Keep - The Game - IanSF - 10-25-2008

Ken Valentine Wrote:Many of us here remember when you started working on the game, in fact, it wasn't but a few months ago when someone asked where you had gone, and what happened to the game you were creating.

That would have been me. :itsme:
So glad that things have been progressing 'behind the scenes' as it were and equally glad to see you back.

Can't wait for the final download and looking forward to the next preview.

The Keep - The Game - rjack_fan - 10-26-2008

Will this be a download that will work with Mac, or just PC? I'm excited to hear about your project and look forward to seeing the finished product.

The Keep - The Game - cobalt - 10-26-2008

I wondered where you were. Glad you're back!

The game sounds interesting, keep us posted.

The Keep - The Game - Al Meyer - 10-26-2008

rjack_fan Wrote:Will this be a download that will work with Mac, or just PC? I'm excited to hear about your project and look forward to seeing the finished product.

Hi, in this current project, the engine is only for PC. No time for Mac (I don´t have Mac, but i´m pretending to buy one). There´s a engine, Unity (for Mac), than can be used to make another games, but I will release this one first. Maybe can port to Mac later, but it´s a very long task.

Today I will work to set the things on, to show for you all.

Best wishes

The Keep - The Game - Al Meyer - 10-29-2008

Yesterday, in preparation for the game release, I watch Mann´s The Keep movie (again). Long years i did not watch it, but, yesterday, i did. This movie, really, is a shame. The fortress is very bad showed. In the book, I think the construction (the Keep) is the main actor, in my vision. Paul wrote "See how perfectly they fit. Not a speck of mortar is used to hold them together. All the walls in the keep are constructed this way. It's a lost art ".

In my vision, the The Keep is a state of the art construction, not the wrackage showed in the movie. The movien even show up the tower. :confused:

Cheers

The Keep - The Game - Libby - 10-30-2008

That sounds AMAZING! I can't wait.Smile