RepairmanJack.com Forums
I finally have Nightworld!...Again - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: I finally have Nightworld!...Again (/thread-2954.html)

I finally have Nightworld!...Again - Legion - 07-14-2008

I finally have a copy of nightworld. It cost me 30 bucks used through Borders but I finally have it... again.

It looks real familiar, I thought as I picked it up. I realized something crazy. I read it while I was in highschool! Just another one of those memories lost to teenage rebellion (ie: drugs, booze, and seconds on both).

I seriously do not remember most of my high school years. Just vague flashes of memory and faces. But thats about it.

Apparently I was reading the adversary cycle years before I thought I was. Now I wish I knew where to look in my folks attic for the other books. If they're still there I KNOW they're in good shape. I've always been a stickler about keeping my books in good condition. Many times I find I have more respect for books than most people.

And yes, for those of you wondering, the baby is already trying to eat this one too. Aside from an occasional gnaw on a Doug Preston and Lincoln Child book he is on an FPW only diet. But of course, he also goes after everything else we don't want him to. The laptop, the iPods, and anything else we value.:eek:

I finally have Nightworld!...Again - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 07-14-2008

Legion Wrote:I finally have a copy of nightworld. It cost me 30 bucks used through Borders but I finally have it... again.

It looks real familiar, I thought as I picked it up. I realized something crazy. I read it while I was in highschool! Just another one of those memories lost to teenage rebellion (ie: drugs, booze, and seconds on both).

I seriously do not remember most of my high school years. Just vague flashes of memory and faces. But thats about it.

Apparently I was reading the adversary cycle years before I thought I was. Now I wish I knew where to look in my folks attic for the other books. If they're still there I KNOW they're in good shape. I've always been a stickler about keeping my books in good condition. Many times I find I have more respect for books than most people.

And yes, for those of you wondering, the baby is already trying to eat this one too. Aside from an occasional gnaw on a Doug Preston and Lincoln Child book he is on an FPW only diet. But of course, he also goes after everything else we don't want him to. The laptop, the iPods, and anything else we value.:eek:

Haw! I got a paperback NIGHTWORLD back in '04 for 25 bucks. (Through bn.com--MUCH finer enterprise! [ad over]). And Paul had an event at my store [new ad] B&N Lincoln Triangle that December. He...winced... when I told him what I paid. "Michael, you should have told me. I would have =given= you a copy." But it was worth every penny. A fine, fine novel. But one caveat--the spooky castle on the cover should have been Central Park's Belvedere Castle.

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Haw! I got a paperback NIGHTWORLD back in '04 for 25 bucks. (Through bn.com--MUCH finer enterprise! [ad over]). And Paul had an event at my store [new ad] B&N Lincoln Triangle that December. He...winced... when I told him what I paid. "Michael, you should have told me. I would have =given= you a copy." But it was worth every penny. A fine, fine novel. But one caveat--the spooky castle on the cover should have been Central Park's Belvedere Castle.

Yeah. Belvedere would have made a great location for the cover ( It was actually a murder site from one of the Pendergast books, Cabinet of Curiosities I believe).

But was that supposed to be the remains of the keep?

Legion Wrote:Yeah. Belvedere would have made a great location for the cover ( It was actually a murder site from one of the Pendergast books, Cabinet of Curiosities I believe).

But was that supposed to be the remains of the keep?

That would make sense--"If you liked THE KEEP, here's another by the same guy!" But I really have no ah-deer how cover art is decided upon and assigned to artists.

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:That would make sense--"If you liked THE KEEP, here's another by the same guy!" But I really have no ah-deer how cover art is decided upon and assigned to artists.

Its different now, but it DOES say "by the author of the keep."

Back then titles and names rested more in the hands of the publisher and ad-minded folk who had no idea about the content. Look at what Paul had to go through just to get the first Jack book finally named Rakoshi.

Legion Wrote:Its different now, but it DOES say "by the author of the keep."

Back then titles and names rested more in the hands of the publisher and ad-minded folk who had no idea about the content. Look at what Paul had to go through just to get the first Jack book finally named Rakoshi.

Yeah, but he's a Big Name now. What's his secret, anyway? And please don't give me that easy "talent, hard work, and persistance" answer:Yawn:

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Yeah, but he's a Big Name now. What's his secret, anyway? And please don't give me that easy "talent, hard work, and persistance" answer:Yawn:

Don't tell anybody but I heard he's addicted to this drug called Berzerk.:xd:

Legion Wrote:Don't tell anybody but I heard he's addicted to this drug called Berzerk.:xd:

It's not an =addiction=, precisely. Paul can take it or leave it. No shit! But sometimes when a deadline is bearing down... It's a helper. That's all.

I tried it just once. Scored a hit on St. Marks Place. Went uptown to Marty O'Briens' Irish Pub. A cop joint. But the coppers =did not make a move= when I stood on the bar and sang Sonny Bono solo songs all night. No, sir, they did not! =They= knew who the =boss= was! That's right!

But I wised up when one of the regulars told me later--this is my conductor friend John--said I was singing flat all night. Sonny Bono solo songs? So I knew I was doing wrong.

[Image: roflmao-1.gif]

Wow... I've got nothin to come back with. ROFLMAO

I finally have Nightworld!...Again - bones weep tedium - 07-15-2008

Legion Wrote:I finally have a copy of nightworld. It cost me 30 bucks used through Borders but I finally have it... again.

That's crazy :eek: