RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Good German - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Good German (/thread-2495.html)

The Good German - Kenji - 09-29-2007

I'm surprised anybody haven't mentioned about this movie......yet.

Today I saw The Good German in a theatre. It's Steven Soderbergh's new film. George Clooney played American journalist, Jake. And Cate Blanchett played mysterious Germany woman, Lena.

The plot thickens with a murder, and Jake finds himself being manipulated by all sides. The Americans, the Russians, even Lena herself. No matter what actions he takes, the corruption and cynicism are impenetrable.

It reminded me of Casablanca. Is this a remake of Casablanca? Yes, and no. Maybe we should call it Homage. Of course, George Clooney can't defeat Humphrey Bogart, also Cate Blanchett can't defeat Ingrid Bergman. However, this film has worth to see. If you like 40's films (The Third Man, Casablanca), I recommend it.

The Good German - Maggers - 09-29-2007

I saw this film a while ago on pay per view. I'm sorry I paid for it. I didn't post a review because, frankly, I forgot it immediately. I thought it was the worst film Soderbergh has done to date. I could barely get through it. Because I've blocked it from my mind, or my mind has blocked it from me to protect me, it's hard to remember what specifically was so painful. I remember that it dragged, and the use of the period music was overbearing and intrusive. It wasn't so much an homage to 40's spy movies as it was an unremarkable retread. It was surprisingly awful given the talented director and usually credible cast.

The Good German - Kenji - 09-29-2007

Maggers Wrote:I saw this film a while ago on pay per view. I'm sorry I paid for it. I didn't post a review because, frankly, I forgot it immediately. I thought it was the worst film Soderbergh has done to date. I could barely get through it. Because I've blocked it from my mind, or my mind has blocked it from me to protect me, it's hard to remember what specifically was so painful. I remember that it dragged, and the use of the period music was overbearing and intrusive. It wasn't so much an homage to 40's spy movies as it was an unremarkable retread. It was surprisingly awful given the talented director and usually credible cast.

Ah.....so for you, it was "The Bad German", wasn't it? :p

The Good German - Maggers - 09-29-2007

Kenji Wrote:Ah.....so for you, it was "The Bad German", wasn't it? :p

Tedious would be more like it.

The Good German - Barry Lee Dejasu - 10-08-2007

I love the stars, I liked what they did in it, and I loved how it was shot...but that script really needed to be heavily re-written. The plot was dizzying, and more than a few times I had to abandon my good faith that the movie was going to be spectacular just so I could scratch my head in my confusion.

Even so, I did like it...I just didn't love it. Too bad. It could have been spectacular.