RepairmanJack.com Forums
Brain Strainers - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brain Strainers (/thread-2301.html)

Pages: 1 2

Brain Strainers - Sam - 04-26-2007

A good while ago there was a thread on the movie Primer. Most of us who watched it came away confused but still enjoyed the film anyway.

I rented Memento for the 2nd time. Not as confusing as the first time I watched it, but still not too easy to follow in many places. As before, I liked it even though it was a bit confusing.

So, what other brain straining flicks are out there that are actually good even though the confusion is/can be distracting? I need a break from the typical Hollywood formulas.

BTW, no need to mention films by Terry Gilliam. Smile

Brain Strainers - Keith the Elder - 04-26-2007

That's so freaky, I just watched Primer this weekend, It was totally incomprehensible. I thought it was a time waster.

Brain Strainers - Kenji - 04-26-2007

Sam Wrote:A good while ago there was a thread on the movie Primer. Most of us who watched it came away confused but still enjoyed the film anyway.

I rented Memento for the 2nd time. Not as confusing as the first time I watched it, but still not too easy to follow in many places. As before, I liked it even though it was a bit confusing.

So, what other brain straining flicks are out there that are actually good even though the confusion is/can be distracting? I need a break from the typical Hollywood formulas.

BTW, no need to mention films by Terry Gilliam. Smile

How about "Intacto"? It's Spanish film. Check it.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0220580/

Brain Strainers - Tony H - 04-26-2007

November, starring Courtney Cox-Arquette. I still have no idea what I watched. It was artsy and stuff but I just didn't get it.

Brain Strainers - HaroldDemure - 04-26-2007

'Fire Walk With Me'. actually, pretty much all David Lynch movies i guess.

Brain Strainers - Scott Miller - 04-26-2007

HaroldDemure Wrote:'Fire Walk With Me'. actually, pretty much all David Lynch movies i guess.

You beat me to Lynch; the most frustrating filmmaker of all time. Moments of pure brilliance amid far too much random weirdness that serves no purpose.

Let's put Vanilla Sky on the list, Existanz(but I liked it despite it's impossible to follow narrative), Eyes Wide Shut, I tried a couple of Fellini flicks-talk about strange, Barton Fink, and The Naked Lunch are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Brain Strainers - Auskar - 04-26-2007

Scott Miller Wrote:Let's put Vanilla Sky on the list, Existanz(but I liked it despite it's impossible to follow narrative), Eyes Wide Shut, I tried a couple of Fellini flicks-talk about strange, Barton Fink, and The Naked Lunch are all I can think of off the top of my head.
I'm with you on Eyes Wide Shut, and I generally like Kubrick movies.

Brain Strainers - Kenji - 04-26-2007

Scott Miller Wrote:You beat me to Lynch; the most frustrating filmmaker of all time. Moments of pure brilliance amid far too much random weirdness that serves no purpose.

Yes, I'm still confused about "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive". But he's not frustrating filmmaker to me. I like his "Wild at Heart". Wink

Quote:Let's put Vanilla Sky on the list, Existanz(but I liked it despite it's impossible to follow narrative), Eyes Wide Shut, I tried a couple of Fellini flicks-talk about strange, Barton Fink, and The Naked Lunch are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Vanilla sky...I prefer original "Open Your Eyes".

eXistenZ...I like this movie. Not Cronenberg's best movie, but it's not Brain Strainer movie to me.

"Eyes Wide Shut"...This is naked show by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Nothing more. :p

"The Naked Lunch"...The Novel was terrible and disgusting. But movie was well made. But I'm still confused about this movie anyway...

Brain Strainers - Dave F - 04-26-2007

The Machineist & Donny Darko

Love these kind of movies

Brain Strainers - HaroldDemure - 04-26-2007

Britfan Wrote:The Machineist & Donny Darko

Love these kind of movies
those are two of my faves.